Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive with Clicking Sound!

guannyeuc

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a Seagate 1TB Barracuda 32mb Hard Drive (ST31000528AS) and ever since i got it, it's been making a lot of clicking noises. It's not constantly clicking, it clicks when the hard drive is at rest and i want to open or a particular application needs to access it. Basically, if i open a file on the hard drive when at rest, the file will not open right away, it will stall for 2-5 seconds, then make one click and then the file finally opens... I heard that for Seagate hard drives, they are always making noises and it's normal and not just my particular one... but it isn't normal that the hard drive has such a long response when accessing a file! =/ PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
It sounds like you got a bad drive.

RMA it to the vendor you bought it form. If they won't take it then contact Seagate as all their HDD's have a 5 year warranty.

If you do get your money back I suggest you check out the Samsung Spinpoint F3 drives. They are great drives. Check out the charts on Toms for some numbers.

Mickk1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Bare in mind that a huge batch of the Barracuda drives were cursed with a dodgy firmware bug, which I've heard can brick the HD. I'd get in touch with their support just to make sure you have the correct firmware,
Good luck.