Need advice for new rig

Beyond58

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
You have chosen items that will work together, but beyond that it's not great builld.

I'm not going to suggest parts. This page of the forums is full of parts and builds. I'm just going to list problems I see here.

- Your motherboard/CPU selection would bottleneck those GPUs. You need to look at the Intel Q9550, if you want quad core.

- I find very little in the way of quality reviews on this PSU. Mushkin does not have the best record on PSUs however.

- It looks like you threw the memory in at the last minute, with what was left over on your budget. Bad idea.

- I have no major objection to your choice of GPUs, as long as you actually need that much power. However, you would have a better, more stable system if you bought one really good GPU and put it on a P45 chipset. You would consume less power. You would pay less up front. You would have less system heat.

Finally, you'll get more responses if you do not force people to click on your links to find out what your parts are. Learn how to link your parts:
ASUS P5Q -E

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The cpu may bottleneck the SLI, but the question is how much? 100%? 2000%? I think cpu bottlenecking is OVERLY exaggerated. Yes, your selection will run the SLI, but you may not be taking full advantage of the gpu power. You can overclock the Phenom on that good mobo to about 3Ghz. Best look into SLI & CPU bottlenecking benchmarks to determine what setup can get the most out of the SLI.