Phenom x2 550 overlock, change multiplier and call it a day?

rtlltj

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I just put together a new computer using a Phenom x2 550 BE and wanted to try overclocking it a little with the stock cooler. I have no previous overclocking experience. In the Sep 09 builder guide they used the same chip with the stock cooler and raised the multiplier to 17.5x before it got unstable. Before I buy an aftermarket cooler and try to push this any higher can I stop at just changing the multiplier and call it a day? Do I really need to also change the northbridge speed, hypertransport link speed, and memory frequency? I'm new at this so I'm trying to keep things simple.

On another note I'm not one of the lucky few who can successfully unlock to x4. My comp posts but won't boot into windows once it tries to load. Oh well, as I wasn't counting on it and I'm perfectly happy with a x2.

Thanks

Yes, you can overclock the 550 by just raising the multiplier a tad. Anything over 3.4Ghz should require a voltage increase. I would not go past 3.4Ghz on the stock cooler without monitoring your temps. You can use speed-fan / Everest or equivalent to check temps....

What motherboard are you using?

Yea, for a simple overclock all you need to do is raise the multi a bit... no need to touch anything else....If you do decide on overclocking that CPU past 3.5/3.6Ghz it is highly recommended that you purchase an aftermarket cooler.

rtlltj

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Because I just went through the hassle of getting all my cable management setup on a motherboard that isn't that cable friendly due to odd locations, would all aftermarket coolers require me to remove the motherboard from the case completely? Are there any I can install in the same manner as the stock HSF?

I apologize, I did not notice that your board was AM3, so in this case look at the coolers that do not use a backplate to install. If the cooler does not require a backplate you do not need to remove the board for installation.

The only way you will have an issue with the RAM is IF you buy a cooler with a large fan (120mm) and you are using all 4 slots. If you are only using 2 of the 4 slots you have nothing to worry about regardless of the size of the cooler.

There are a few users that have your board paired with the new Freezer 7 and they have no issues whatsoever. You can find these here :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813128398

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

The mounting bracket on AM2/AM2+/AM3 boards are different from AM3 only boards.... Not sure what the deal is but make sure you get an AM3 cooler that does not use a backplate and you will be fine. There are several good coolers that fit your board but they do require removing the board for installation.

This cooler is the best you can get for the money :

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=am3_heatsink-_-35-103-065-_-Product

if that is not an option then the only cooler I can recommend is the freezer 7.....

Msixteen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I have a 550be I am currently running at 3.8 with the cooler master V8 it is a 120mm cooler that does not interfere with my ram slots (790gp-ud3h) and the only adjustments I have made is to the multi, ran AMD overdrives stability test for 12+hrs with no prob and did not see any temps above 38c and the lowest ive seen is 17c (with core temp software). I’ve gotten to 3.9 stable with some volt adjustments but I would rather have - 0.1 GHz with stock volts to keep the life of my CPU.

Correct but that V8 uses a backplate and it is huge. I don't think the OP needs a cooler that big. There are several smaller coolers that equal or outperform the V8 for less cash...

Msixteen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
@ OvrClkr

you raise a good point, i didn't have a prob with the back plate B/C my CM storm scout case has a hole in the back of the motherboard tray for easy installation of cpu coolers, it works great.

i just unlocked my other two cores today, and have my overclock at 3.5GHz, is there a fix for the temp sensor when unlocking the cores yet? i really do not like having to guess my cpu temp lol

and sorry if it seems that i am high jacking this thread, it is not my intention, just thought it would be better to comment on an already posted thread then start a new one

Well you should still be able to see the "CPU" temp... When you unlock the only temps that dissapear are the idividual core temps and that should not be an issue since individual core temp is not important at all.

Are you not able to see any temps related to the CPU?

Don't worry about jacking the thread, I don't mind... Im just here to help ;)

Msixteen

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
i did alot of searching last night on many different forums and it seems that this is the norm that you lose your temp readings, oh well, it passed 8hrs of cpu burn i think ill be just fine, and it flys! lol

I don't think you are getting my point... look :

4Ghz_Idle.jpg

you can still monitor your CPU temp, that is what you need to be looking at ;)

TRENDING THREADS