EP45-DS3R 8800GTS->9800GTX+ Swap

Imho

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hey guys, I was hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having swapping graphics cards on a EP45-DS3R motherboard.

My current configuration is as follows:

Processor: Q6600 (mildly overclocked to 3GHz)
Motherboard: EP45-DS3R F10 firmware
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) Patriot DDR2 800 (mildly overclocked to 833)
Graphics: NVIDIA 8800GTS 640MB
Cooling: Zalman CNPS9300
Power Supply: Zalman 600W (I think)

This setup has been running rock-solid 24x7 for months with uptimes of many weeks in between OS updates that require a reboot (it's a hackintosh). No hangs, crashes, slowdowns, kernel panics or any such problem. Just pure stability.

Recently I decided to upgrade the graphics to a faster 9800GTX+. That's when things went a bit pear shaped. The seemingly simple act of removing the old 8800GTS and slotting in the new 9800GTX+ caused the mobo to fail during POST, causing it to reboot using the fail-safe settings. It boots to OS X using the fail-safe settings OK, but stability is now an issue as it hangs roughly once every 24 hours.

I've played around with RAM/CPU/NB voltages, messed with RAM timings, locked the PCI-E at 100 and tried various other tweaks I found through Google to see if I could get it to pass POST at 3GHz, but without success. In fact, even when I drop the back to 2.4GHz it still won't pass POST. It seems the only thing that works if the fail-safe settings, an even they aren't stable. I reverted back to the old graphics card and all is as it was.

Any suggestions on where to look next?

TIA, any help appreciated.

Imho

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Turned out to be a RAM issue, but I'm not sure of the connection with swapping the graphics card.

I tried the RAM in single-channel mode and all was fine, so I swapped out the Patriot RAM for some OCZ Reaper HPC RAM and bingo - problem solved. Stable for days again.