A problem with my computer, don't know where it is or how it got there

vistagamer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I have 2 gb's of ram, a Palit Hd 4850 card, an Amd 64 x2 6000+ CPU, and a corsair 650w. The rest are default from the HP a6000n. The computer is 2 years old.

(http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF06b/12132708-12133156-12133158-12133158-12133158-79732772-80127167.html for more information)

This started happening around 4 months ago, when I only had an average a6000n model. I was playing a game and I was kicked off because my computer needed to update. I accepted then restarted my computer.

When I turned it on, everything looked fine, until I started a game. the Fps was cut by a full 50%, and I could barely play the game anymore, that was when I decided to upgrade, thinking the problem wouldn't persist.

As luck would have it, it does. Even with the powerful hd 4850, I am lagging in games like Company of Heroes, and Half life 2 episode 2. It isn't unbearable, but I want to really experience these games at full potential, because I upgraded my PC in Context with Crysis, and ( at least I think) My rig should be able to handle that game at high settings ( not maximum, high).

Could it be that problem I had a while back, or could it be a whole new problem altogether? I have searched Countless forums yet no one knows what my problem is, and the only answer is to reformat, but I don't want to do that, at all. For one, I don't have the Vista reinstall disc ( I don't know why, too late now) and I also think there is a better answer to this problem.

If anyone has ANY solution to my problem, please tell me. I will provide as much information as possible, because I just want my FPS back.

thank you for listening, and move this post if it doesn't fit in the category context. I am new to this forum, and I am sorry.

P.S: The thing that was downloaded was something called Conexant Modem, or something along those lines. I uninstalled it months ago, but if that helps at all, well there you go

P.S.S: All games I have played so far have been set to max, and only Bioshock and Unreal tournament 3 seem to work no problem. The most demanding game I have is Gears of war 1 ( Either that or UT3 or Mass Effect. Getting Crysis soon after this problem is solved) and It runs alright, just that it lags every so often.

You guys are literally my last hope to this problem, I have been searching for an answer for a while now, and I don't think it is worth searching anymore than now.

Winly

Distinguished
are the drivers updated? Video Card drivers etc. make sure you have the latest drivers and updates such as, Service Packs. maybe you installed a program that is affecting your system performance, try to check that too.

vistagamer

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I have drivers all the way updated

everytime I try to download service pack 1, it gives me an error and it fails to download ( the error ID is something like 802400D, and it means that I am missing some file), i didn't know it was that important, any idea how to fix that?

How would I check if a program is affecting my Performance? any tool? i really don't know what could be hampering it, at all.

Thanks for the quick response by the way.