Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Upgrade??

Last response: in Storage
a c 143 G Storage
March 2, 2010 10:11:49 PM

I'm looking to switch over to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (currently running Vista Ultimate 64-bit) in a week or two (have disk but just got to get around to the new install). I typically like to do a fresh install of a new Windows version on a new hard drive. I have a 300GB VRaptor but I was thinking about moving to a SSD and adding a 1TB hard drive and put the VRaptor in another system or use it on a new build down the road. My questions are...

1) Is it worth upgrading to a SSD, when I already have a VRaptor? I know the SSD will out perform it but is the VRaptor good enough.
2) Is it worth the price difference going with the OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB over the Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2R5 2.5" 80GB? Does anyone else have suggestions for a SSD at 80GB or higher??
3) I was planning on getting the WD 1TB Black (or Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB [trust WD more...IMO]) but is it worth going for the WD 1TB Black SATA 6.0Gb/s, even though I don't have SATA 6.0Gb/s at this time? I thought the extra $20 might be worth it if I upgrade to a new MOBO with USB 3.0 and SATA 6.0Gb/s support?

I'm looking to spend around $550 or less on these upgrades.

Thanks for your feedback :D 

More about : ssd upgrade

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
March 2, 2010 10:40:21 PM

> I know the SSD will out perform it but is the VRaptor good enough.

That's a totally subjective question - each person has different software and different tolerances for waiting. You've already got the Velociraptor, is it performing well enough for you in Vista? If so, then it should be fine under Windows 7 too.

> is it worth going for the WD 1TB Black SATA 6.0Gb/s, even though I don't have SATA 6.0Gb/s at this time?

Nope. Current hard drive transfer rates max out at about 100-150MByte/sec, and 3.0Gbit/sec SATA is more than capable of handling that. Getting a faster connection won't make the disk any faster, so you won't see any difference in performance. It's like a bicycle - it can't go any faster on a freeway than it does on a city street - it's limited by the cyclist, not the posted maximum speed.
a c 143 G Storage
March 2, 2010 11:33:10 PM

That's a totally subjective question - each person has different software and different tolerances for waiting. You've already got the Velociraptor, is it performing well enough for you in Vista? If so, then it should be fine under Windows 7 too. It is performing fine for me as hard drives go. I'm looking to upgrade the system performance overall and I felt a SSD was a good move at this time (Waiting for GTX 470's release for GPU upgrades). My EVGA X58 is such a slow booting board, so as an added benefit, I was hoping the SSD would improve on that, but it might just be the MOBO.. who knows??

Nope. Current hard drive transfer rates max out at about 100-150MByte/sec, and 3.0Gbit/sec SATA is more than capable of handling that. Getting a faster connection won't make the disk any faster, so you won't see any difference in performance. It's like a bicycle - it can't go any faster on a freeway than it does on a city street - it's limited by the cyclist, not the posted maximum speed. I'll probably be going with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive based on your feedback on the WD 1TB Black SATA 6.0Gb/s. If SATA 6.0Gb/s isn't going to show much of a performance increase, I see no reason making the jump to it and spending the additional money.

Do you have any feedback on the benefit or recommendation between the two SSD's I've listed or is your recommendation is to stick with the VRaptor since it is performing okay for me??

Thanks for your feedback... sminlal

By the way, I enjoyed your YouTubed Video on the SSD vs. WD Green hard drive :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
March 3, 2010 3:05:29 AM

There's a BIOS power-on self test that the motherboard performs BEFORE it starts to boot Windows - an SSD won't change that time at all. My video starts AFTER that power-on self-test finishes. On my system with 12GB of ECC memory it actually takes a bit longer to do the BIOS POST than it takes to boot Windows.

I personally went with the Intel drive. Intel seems to have the best controller firmware and they're the only manufacturer I've seen that actually lists a life expectancy for writes to their SSDs (at least 5 years if you write 20GB/day to the drive).
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
March 3, 2010 8:22:57 PM

Thanks sminlal :D 

I went with the Intel X25-M & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. I'm planning on setting my system up in this manner....

SSD: OS/Apps
VRaptor: Games
Samsung: The rest :) 

Or should I pull the VRaptor and just use the Samsung & keep the VRaptor for a future build or something??
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 3, 2010 11:09:49 PM

I suspect that you won't see a lot of difference for games between the Samsung and Velociraptor, but that's just an educated guess. If you end up with both of them I suggest you try each one to see for yourself.
m
l
a c 114 G Storage
March 3, 2010 11:26:02 PM

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The 2 TB WD Black and LX from Seagate are good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-har...[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

Look at the tests that reflect your usage and choose accordingly.

The Vertex2's which just unseated the Intel G2 SSD's should hit store shelves this month. i expect that will have an effect on SSD prices.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 3, 2010 11:37:58 PM

tecmo34 said:
Thanks sminlal :D 

I went with the Intel X25-M & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. I'm planning on setting my system up in this manner....

SSD: OS/Apps
VRaptor: Games
Samsung: The reat :) 

Or should I pull the VRaptor and just use the Samsung & keep the VRaptor for a future build or something??

That's similar to my setup (I have a pair of 300GB Vraptors in RAID 0 for apps, and an Intel X25-M 80GB for OS), and it works great. I would say that it would be a perfect setup.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
March 4, 2010 12:22:32 AM

cjl said:
That's similar to my setup (I have a pair of 300GB Vraptors in RAID 0 for apps, and an Intel X25-M 80GB for OS), and it works great. I would say that it would be a perfect setup.

It is good to know you found it benefical having a SSD, even though you had a VRaptor(s). It gives me a little sense of security I didn't just waste money.

I look forward to setting everything up again after the Win7 install. Over the years, I think I've spent more time setting the software up than the build process. Give me a couple hours and I'll have my PC running on a new build but give me days to install software/games, tweak settings and appearances to get it how I want it. :) 
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
March 5, 2010 12:44:53 PM

Best answer selected by tecmo34.
m
l
!