Sign in with
Your question

Prolimatech Megahalems

Last response: in Overclocking
January 6, 2010 6:01:49 PM

Pretty new to this, but I've seen this mammoth heatsink and am curious how exactly the weight is supported in a tower setup? I've never had to deal with such a large heatsink before, so i'm curious how the weight is supported once my tower is vertical. Is it just the mobo holding it up?

More about : prolimatech megahalems

January 6, 2010 10:18:35 PM

I've just bought one of these for the first time myself and am putting it together this weekend. As far as I can tell, there is a support bracket which goes on the underside of the board as a support for the weight. Other than that, the motherboard holds the weight as far as other forums have informed me. I know it seems a crazy amount of weight to hold up but I've been assured it is fine. I'll let you know how it goes when it's up and running if you still need more info come sunday :) 
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:06:10 AM

let me know. I'm still up in the air about it. I may switch to a Corsair H50 instead.
m
l
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 4:38:14 AM

The h50 or tye Pro will give you good temps. On both, expect to change fans for best cooling. The h50 needs the most mods but is pretty solid for a good air cooler.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 2:45:24 PM

whatspeakyou said:
let me know. I'm still up in the air about it. I may switch to a Corsair H50 instead.

The PM is a monster sink. IMO overkill since you can get more or less the same results using a much cheaper solution.

Is there a specific reason you need such a cooler??
m
l
January 7, 2010 4:06:15 PM

OvrClkr said:
The PM is a monster sink. IMO overkill since you can get more or less the same results using a much cheaper solution.

Is there a specific reason you need such a cooler??

bought one off a friend who got shipped 2 three months ago by mistake. Megahalem for 35 bucks. Figured I could do worse. ;) 

still, I like the space the H50 gives me with only having a mid-tower.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 4:32:28 PM

whatspeakyou said:
bought one off a friend who got shipped 2 three months ago by mistake. Megahalem for 35 bucks. Figured I could do worse. ;) 

still, I like the space the H50 gives me with only having a mid-tower.

WoW.. sweet deal ;)  ... have you measured the clearance from the cooler to the side panel? What case do you have?
m
l
January 7, 2010 6:21:37 PM

Just for further info, I'm fitting mine in an Antec 902, so it is only a mid tower, and on a Gigabyte UD7. I hear they fit in the 902 fine so long as you don't use the side panel fan (which apparently messes up air flow anyway). If you do have a side far, you may need to do some DIY on the top corner of it, cutting out a section to fit it. Will let you know how it goes as and when.
m
l
January 7, 2010 6:41:57 PM

Haven't measured yet. I picked up a Thermaltake Element G for x-mas. I tend to believe that if it fits in the 902 without their fan, it'll fit the Element G WITH the fan, simply because of the design flaw in the 902 with regards to fan installation/placement. The side panel of the ElementG is a tad thicker than some cases but encompasses a rather large fan in it, but it doesn't protrude nearly as much as installing the fan on a 902.

However, if the Megahalem does prove to be too large for my case, I'll probably re-sell the thing on ebay and order myself a Corsair H50.

I am also contemplating just re-selling the case and getting a full tower, but the Element G is pretty sexy imo.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 6:56:37 PM

You should not have an issue since the element g is wider than the 902 by half an inch....
m
l
January 7, 2010 7:01:04 PM

OvrClkr said:
You should not have an issue since the element g is wider than the 902 by half an inch....

Good good. I'm still halfway tempted to get rid of it, but I'm going to wait till March. I want to see exactly how long the new Nvidia Fermis are physically, as the Element G cannot fit a ATI 5970 in it. Granted, the damn thing is over a foot long, but still. I'm pretty set on getting a new Fermi (if they pan out like most expect). The clearance in my Element G is just over 11.5 inches if I remember correctly, which accommodates all GPUs with the exception of the 5970.

I've got everything I need to finish off my new system with the exception of the GPU and HDDs (waiting on some SATA-6GB to show up before making a decision there since my mobo has usb 3.0 and said SATA). Really glad I picked up the ASUS P6X58D - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More and more happy every time I look at it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 7:12:16 PM

whatspeakyou said:
Good good. I'm still halfway tempted to get rid of it, but I'm going to wait till March. I want to see exactly how long the new Nvidia Fermis are physically, as the Element G cannot fit a ATI 5970 in it. Granted, the damn thing is over a foot long, but still. I'm pretty set on getting a new Fermi (if they pan out like most expect). The clearance in my Element G is just over 11.5 inches if I remember correctly, which accommodates all GPUs with the exception of the 5970.

I've got everything I need to finish off my new system with the exception of the GPU and HDDs (waiting on some SATA-6GB to show up before making a decision there since my mobo has usb 3.0 and said SATA). Really glad I picked up the ASUS P6X58D - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More and more happy every time I look at it.

In most cases if the 5970 or 380 (for example) are too big for your case the best way to work around it is by using a dremel against the hard-drive cage, no biggie ;) 

I am most likely going to have to do the same since I am not going to buy a full tower due to the GPU clearance.....
m
l
January 7, 2010 7:16:14 PM

I was considering that. I really don't need the cage to be so damn large. I could easily cut the thing down by 1/4 it's size and still be happy whilst retaining my case. I don't know. We'll see. I'll have to do some research on how much the Gs are pulling down on ebay. If I can find a sucker, I may just sell it and pick myself up an HAF 932 or something.
m
l
January 7, 2010 9:32:32 PM

If I can't fit a fermi 395 in my case I'll be pretty irritated. Not too keen on cutting parts out the HDD cages on the case.

I've found some posts on other forums showing the Megahalem fitting the 902 with a side fan but the sink is rotated 90 degrees, venting through the 220mm (i think?) fan on top. With the usual method out the back and a side fan on, you do have to trim it down.
m
l
January 7, 2010 9:55:39 PM

tell me about it. I'd like to avoid modding the case if I have to.

Tom, how do you have your PSU set up in the Element G? Fan facing up or down?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 10:07:34 PM

bad news for you by going on trends the last few generations nvidia has always had a bigger card then ati
m
l
January 7, 2010 10:15:11 PM

Ive got the Antec 902, not the G, so mines at the bottom and I have it facing up. Once I have all my new gear in i'll pop up some pics somewhere. Dreading the cable management though. Got me lots of extension cables to help keep everything round the back.

I'll be sad if the fermi cards are longer than the 200's. My gtx 295 just fits in but Ive had to rearrange my HDD's and drop the clip-on fan unit at the back of one of the trays.
m
l
January 7, 2010 10:24:52 PM

the test cards from CES look to be a Cm or 2 longer than the Mobo they were using. They don't seem to be as gargantuan as the 5970.

Pics: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,702703/Nvidia-Fermi-...

in the 3rd picture you can see the card comes pretty much flush with the end of the mobo. They said this is not the final casing, but it still leads me to believe that the GF 100 there is roughly the length of a 5870.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2010 11:48:39 PM

Yea the 5970 is ridiculous, I guess if you have the cash for such a card you should have a case with enough space as well...

My 260 is about 3/4's of an inch longer than the mobo. And I only have 1/2 inch left before it hits the HD cage....
m
l
January 8, 2010 3:34:40 AM

OvrClkr said:
Yea the 5970 is ridiculous, I guess if you have the cash for such a card you should have a case with enough space as well...

My 260 is about 3/4's of an inch longer than the mobo. And I only have 1/2 inch left before it hits the HD cage....

it seems most of the members of the 200 family from nvidia are the same 11.2 inch length. Wish the ATI GPUs would follow suit. 12 and a half inches for a 5970 is just stupid.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
January 8, 2010 3:41:43 AM

Thats why you move to a Tech station. Mora rooma!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604...

You might say it's stupid, but your welcome to go back to the 512meg max GPU cards from many years ago with uber games like Doom 2. Bigger cards, more capability. You pay to play with the big stuff. Or buy a Dell, jk!

m
l
January 8, 2010 4:11:52 AM

Conumdrum said:

You might say it's stupid, but your welcome to go back to the 512meg max GPU cards from many years ago with uber games like Doom 2. Bigger cards, more capability. You pay to play with the big stuff. Or buy a Dell, jk!

perhaps, but is there any REAL reason the 5970 is so much longer than every other card? Granted, it's top notch and I'd buy one if A: I could fit it in my case, and B: Fermi wasn't coming so soon; but 12 and a half inches is kinda ridiculous. Damn card is as long as my forearm.

Ranting perhaps, but if the test card that nvidia had at CES today is any indication of it's dimensions, it's smaller than the 5970 and better (supposedly). I dunno. I guess i should get a new case, but I like mine :cry: 
m
l
January 8, 2010 5:33:01 PM

Conumdrum said:

Doom 2 was great fun!
m
l
January 8, 2010 6:41:48 PM

rodney_ws said:
I'm sorry, but this...

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=248...

Looks WAY better, performs better and is quieter.

I'm intrigued as to how you have come up with this.

Firstly, looks are down to the user. Different cases, different setups, different tastes.

Secondly, I would like to know where you have found it performing better. The tests on the page you link don't compare to either the Megahalem or it's performance rival, the Thermalright IFX-14.

If you look here, you will see some solid tests on these sinks and see where the Tuniq ends up:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

Thirdly, you can't compare noise levels on that to a sink with no fan. The volume is entirely dependant on the type of fan you choose, whether you have a push/pull setup and what size the fan is.

Long story short, Megahalem kicks some cooling ass and is big and shiny. Made of win :) 
m
l
January 10, 2010 3:55:40 PM

Right, I have my new setup ready and can confirm the megahalem fits in theAntec 902 just fine. A tad tight but sits nicely. As for the OP's fears of the size/weight, it is a bit iffy putting something that heavy high up the board, however, I have had it sitting there over night and it is all fine. The only part I didn't like was screwing in the spring-loaded screws which hold down the sink. Had to put more pressure on the board than I liked but its all ok now. My temps are nice and low and it looks killer :) 
m
l
January 10, 2010 7:43:22 PM

Tom, what kind of fan(s) are you using on it? Also, how do you have the heatsink facing?
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:01:36 PM

I have the fan venting out the back of the case in a push setup. I didn't go for an extremely powerful fan in the end because I wanted to keep volume down and (much as I hate to admit it) I wanted blue LED's. *shame on me*

Side view:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/eroticobottico/0...

Front view:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/eroticobottico/7...

The fan I use:
http://www.svc.com/tlf-s12-eb-19.html

I went for the fan because I wanted 1200 rpm for low Db levels. I could have gone for one with better static pressure but in the end this is keeping my temps at 35/33/36/32 idle (and is dropping slightly as it 'wears in')

One tip: Don't go for a fan larger than 25mm from to back. This was very close to my ram and I had to mod the fan clips (by mod I mean I just bent the bottom ends...) because the dominator ram has the heat fins on top.

All in all, an awesome part of my new rig.
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:16:25 PM

interesting. Nice looking rig btw.

The reason I ask is because my Element G has a 140mm on the back I could set up like yours for a push/pull, but it also has a 200mm on the top of the case. Wondering which way might be better for the airflow of the case. I also considered having that 140mm push air INTO the case, face the mega up with a push fan on the bottom, and have the 200mm suck all the hot air out of my case.

thoughts?
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:36:21 PM

Psycho, those look very nice. Great Db to CFM levels. I think I would have pick up one of those instead of the one I have to be honest. If/when this one gives up, I'll grab me one of those.

Thanks whatspeakyou. The cable management took me hours. Just wish I had gone modular on the PSU!

I've seen a lot of debate on the direction to vent ideas. I wouldn't go for the rear as an intake, mainly because it would disrupt air flow. It would just vent air on to the side of the sink, which already has air flowing through bottom to top. The sink would block it off and I think a lot of the air from middle heigh front fans would be pushed away from the Sink intake. I think it would be better to aim for a wind tunnel style effect of air flow, rather than a push towards the middle and up approach. I have no idea if that would push hot air around the case if fan speeds wren't set to just the right levels (ie: not to weak to miss cooling some parts, not too strong to have channels of air conflicting and pushing hot air all over the place)

It would also be drawing air in from over the North bridge. Not sure how much of a good idea that is to be honest. Im no pro with these things. The deciding factor for me (the antec 902 also has the 200mm fan on top) was the predominance of the push to rear exhaust method in the setups I've seen online. If all the people who know a lot more than me are doing it, theres probably some good reasons for it ;) 
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:41:51 PM

yeah that's true. I could always just try both ways and see which works better for ambient temps and cpu temps.

I just order the indigo xtreme TIM yesterday. Curious to see how it does with a Mega.
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:48:26 PM

Yeah, best approach is always to test it out and see how you like it!

Let me know how the TIM goes. I don't know much about them and I'd appreciate any info on how you find it if you have time!
m
l
January 10, 2010 8:54:20 PM

everything I've read so far seems to point me to the thought process that it's the best thing on the market right now. I've always been a hardcore AS fan, but apparently this stuff destroys AS5 by a good margin.
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:06:25 PM

Interesting. I went for AS5 but when I get round to overclocking this chip I'll have to have a look around. Just trying to sort out my damn ram timings for now. Corsair XMP profiles are causing me all kinds of problems.
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:17:28 PM

Yeah, the Mushkin's are outstanding. Those are some epic timings. If you can afford it then I don't see why not! What mobo are you going for?
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:23:58 PM

Already bought the mobo and cpu. ASUS P6X58D Premium and Intel i7 920 :D 
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:39:28 PM

That's some nice gear you have there! I ended up going for the i7 960 because I was hoping to just run off stock settings and XMP on the RAM. I mostly wanted to upgrade so I could get the most out of my GTX 295. Love that my 3DMark score jumped by almost 100% after upgrading XD Just hope I can get the RAM up to speed and then I'm pretty much done with PC upgrades for a while, thank god!
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:51:41 PM

yeah I'm buying everything except a hard drive and a video card. Waiting on a few SATA 3.0 SSDs and HDDs to come out first. Get a small SSD for the OS, the HDD for storage.

As for GPUs, I'm awaiting the Fermi release from nvidia in march.
m
l
January 10, 2010 9:58:51 PM

I wish I'd gone for a small drive for the OS. I think I'll just wait until SSD's aren't so expensive for so little. I'm waiting for the Fermi's too. I've still got plenty of use left in my 295 but I think I'll grab a 395 in Q3 2010 and find something useful to do with the 295.
m
l
January 10, 2010 11:27:48 PM

yeah. I also bought a Ultra X3 1000w PSU, for what it's worth.
m
l
January 12, 2010 1:16:55 PM

tomF said:
I'm intrigued as to how you have come up with this.

Secondly, I would like to know where you have found it performing better. The tests on the page you link don't compare to either the Megahalem or it's performance rival, the Thermalright IFX-14.

Here.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=248...

The one you recommended is 1 slot below the one I recommended... at higher noise levels.
m
l
March 10, 2010 10:19:59 PM

Hey, do any of you guys know whether the Megahalems rev B would fit my case? I asked the people over at Prolimatech and they said yes, but I'd like to check.

I'm using an Aerocool V-touch Pro. It's 20cm wide so I think I'm just about ok in that direction. If ONLY JUST.

What's worrying me now is the ... length of the heatsink. Not the height. I mean... When installed on the motherboard, if you looked at it like this:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/Phantron/SFF/typh...

I mean the distance from the furthest down the motherboard the heatsink reaches, to the highest point it reaches.

Basically, the Aercool V-touch pro has its power supply unit at the top of the case, above the motherboard. It would be a very bad thing if the heatsink couldn't fit because of the PSU.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm currently using an SKT-775 motherboard (Core 2 Duo). I'm trying to make my measurements based on how this motherboard fits in the case.

But I'm about to get an x58 motherboard, specifically the ASUS P6T. Is the position of the CPU the same on each motherboard, or is it different?

It might result in the heatsink being positioned differently too...

Sooo. Can anyone help?
m
l
!