Different Mediums for Sound Output

tehfluent

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Is it possible to have music or a game's sound effects transmit through one's speakers while the sound of another program (Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, etc) transmits through one's headset?

Also... is it possible to have sound of a program such as Ventrilo take precedence over another (music or a game's sound effects), effectively dimming out the other sounds?

For example...

I listen to music while talking on Ventrilo and wish for my music to go through my speakers and only the voices of my teammates through my headset.

Other times I wish for my music to simply dim out while a teammate speaks over Ventrilo.

Depends on what programs you have running. some programs will not use any other sound device other then the default sound device. I'm pretty sure that you can set ventrillo to a different sound device though. However you will need to have different sound cards. (I've only done it in windows vista)

As for the second scenario, I don't think that is possible. You would have to just keep the music dimmed the entire time.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
agree with PsyKhiqZero

dicsrete and onboard is enough as suggested, the main issue is if the app you are using you are able to change the output device. I do this with Winamp as it provides this option

tehfluent

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I utilize Winamp so that shouldn't be a problem.

So if I wanted to accomplish this, I would set music to transmit through my speakers in Winamp and then by default all other sounds would be transmitted through my headphones?