Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2008 1:09:36 PM
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 1:59:24 PM

Anandtech's is up Here.
Looks to be a solid card and a good competitor for the 8800/9800GT.
WTG Red Team!
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 2:11:33 PM

Could be a very nice option. It will be up to street pricing vs. 8800GT/9800GT and the HD4850.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 23, 2008 2:19:45 PM

legit reviews has theirs up as well. it looks just a tad faster than a 9800GT. and just a tad more expensive. personally i think it is a great card to round out the ATI line up. i am glad to see some true competition in GPUs.
October 23, 2008 2:54:32 PM

Good card, solid performance, bad initial pricing IMO.
October 23, 2008 3:07:57 PM

Doesnt look too good against the 9800 GT.
October 23, 2008 3:08:46 PM

i wonder how two of these scale up against sli offerings and other xfire setups...
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 3:16:51 PM

Competition is a good thing. We now have 6 9800GT on newegg that have dropped to $99.99 after rebates.
October 23, 2008 3:27:12 PM

I wouldn't personally advise anyone to use ATI hardware.I mean Look at how many 4000 series cards have failed, likely due to those high temps! ATI should be ashamed because in their desperate attempt to defeat Nvidia, they've put performance before stability. Nvidia hardware has that right balance between stability and performance.

Nvidia is still the better choice IMO because of the better optimized drivers, Closer working with game developers for better optimizations and ofcourse Physx. ATI continue to play the catch up game with their drivers to achieve better optimization and this annoys their loyal fans I believe.

On the Physx subject, support will accelerate now Nvidia is using the technology in their hardware. ATI uses outdated physics that rely on the CPU and this means constant stuttering because the CPU is being overworked. Physx will be the future and you need Nvidia to enjoy that future! If you choose ATI you'll be left behind and you can't go crying when this happens.

Nvidia continue to provide quality hardware and I'm no way saying ATI GPU's are terrible, just Nvidia support and quality of products is unmatched IMO.
October 23, 2008 3:27:49 PM

It will be a great option for $99.99.
October 23, 2008 3:34:31 PM

wow yea ati chips failing there have been so many compaired to nvidia (thats sarcasm 4 those who dnt understand it :D )

Did u miss the news whre all them nvidia chips in laptops and so on failed, way more than ati

The new ati cards dont run hot when u sort the fan speeds out urself

Drivers i acturally prefere ati i find them simpler and when tom did there driver performance test ati frame rate increases where bout the same as nvida

so techpro i dnt no what u are on about

i just think its good that the markets now more competitive as we now get beter faster cards at cheaper prices now we just need amd to sort themselves out n its cheap highend gaming computer times :D 
October 23, 2008 3:38:16 PM

uuggg ATI GPUs don't have i high temps. they just don't have the fan turned on. i have 2 4870s stock design. if i set the fan to auto (8% fan speed) the run around 70 C idle if i just turn the fan to 30%(still quite) the card drops to 55 C idle and 59 C load. when i tried out 45% it dropped to 45C idle... so the card doesn't run hot the fan just isn't turned on...
October 23, 2008 3:40:11 PM

techpro said:
I wouldn't personally advise anyone to use ATI hardware.I mean Look at how many 4000 series cards have failed, likely due to those high temps! ATI should be ashamed because in their desperate attempt to defeat Nvidia, they've put performance before stability. Nvidia hardware has that right balance between stability and performance..................................

LOL, your kidding right? the 48xx cards handily beat the latest nvidia cards. With high performance comes heat. If you want to that kind of performance, you will get the right cooling. I have read some poeple having issues with heat, but no one i know has had any major issue. It is worth having that kind of FPS.

I am no fanboy, i buy whatever card is the best FPS per $ at that time. At this time it is the ATI 48xx series.

I screwed last year when i got the 3870 over the 8800 GT, but this year the 4870 it.
October 23, 2008 3:45:49 PM

So what your saying is that someone buys a new GFX card, then has to fix the fans themselves? If they don't then they'll end up roasting their new hardware! This sounds utterly ridiculous myself.

October 23, 2008 3:54:28 PM

What gamer doesn't already OC and cool. We all do it. So might as well, get the fastest out. Oh yeah, it just happens to be cheaper.

I still have not hear of any of my friends "roasting" any 48xx cards. The temps are just high than we are accustomed to.

The fool that OCs the memory clock up to high is probably the jack azz that is complaining that the high temps are what roasted the card. The temps will be fine as long as, you dont jack with the memory clock. Unless you go with some real nice cooling setup. IMHO.
October 23, 2008 3:55:36 PM

techpro said:
I wouldn't personally advise anyone to use ATI hardware.I mean Look at how many 4000 series cards have failed, likely due to those high temps! ATI should be ashamed because in their desperate attempt to defeat Nvidia, they've put performance before stability. Nvidia hardware has that right balance between stability and performance.

Nvidia is still the better choice IMO because of the better optimized drivers, Closer working with game developers for better optimizations and ofcourse Physx. ATI continue to play the catch up game with their drivers to achieve better optimization and this annoys their loyal fans I believe.

On the Physx subject, support will accelerate now Nvidia is using the technology in their hardware. ATI uses outdated physics that rely on the CPU and this means constant stuttering because the CPU is being overworked. Physx will be the future and you need Nvidia to enjoy that future! If you choose ATI you'll be left behind and you can't go crying when this happens.

Nvidia continue to provide quality hardware and I'm no way saying ATI GPU's are terrible, just Nvidia support and quality of products is unmatched IMO.

So you would be complaining any ways If it didn't produce the performance but was not as hot?! :??:  Heat is not much of a promblem when all it takes is to add a quality heat sink.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 3:58:58 PM

techpro said:
So what your saying is that someone buys a new GFX card, then has to fix the fans themselves? If they don't then they'll end up roasting their new hardware! This sounds utterly ridiculous myself.

Remember the 8800GT launch? Same thing. Reference cooled models often ran 88+ degrees out of the box.

I cranked my 8800GT fans manually with rivatuner, then ended up yanking both of them them for better aftermarket coolers as I could (edit: NOT) find a blend of performance/noise that satisfied me. They were still great cards at the time, like the HD4850 is now.

Just buy near equally priced dual slot HD4850, problem solved.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or to follow the topic, the HD4830 with the same cooler:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...
October 23, 2008 4:14:34 PM

techpro said:

OOO! OOOOO! I want to feed the troll mommy!
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 4:18:41 PM

petevsdrm said:
OOO! OOOOO! I want to feed the troll mommy!

:lol: 

I know. It looks like we've got a raving Nvidia fanboi on the loose!
October 23, 2008 4:53:41 PM

Good level of maturity for those who marked my post down, yet they fail to realize my post has been quoted and can also be unhidden easily. That's what we do, censor those we disagree with, anyhow that wont stop me posting.

Why should I buy a GFX card, that I have to fix myself? I as a customer expect to buy a product and for that product to work straight out of the box. There's many that would be unaware that their new Hardware is running too hot and at those kind of Temps this will cause the hardware to fail eventually. We are already seeing 4000 series cards breaking because of this. AMD has failed their customers, just like they did with the Phenom CPU.

It's not about being an 'Nvidia Fanboy', that's the usual lame label. It's about knowing whats right and until ATI become credible again I wont be touching any of their hardware.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 5:34:43 PM

Ignore technopro, This is about the 4850, and some people cant deal with success. I find it weird about the TPU benches, it says something like 560 shaders, Ill have to reread that one. Thats why their numbers are down. Wonder if there are others that way?
October 23, 2008 5:46:14 PM

They will need to lower the price.
October 23, 2008 8:27:44 PM

Battou said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/155

Looks like some of these reviews might be using cards missing as much as 10% of their shaders.

Interesting article! Does this mean that there are real 4830's and 4830se versions? In anyway it have a guite big effect on the results! I think that Anandtech has real 640 stream prosessor version. What other sites have the supposed SP count?
October 23, 2008 9:32:47 PM

techpro said:

no nvidia just makes there cards a ticking time bomb with there bad bump processes, if ati cards go and that's a big if they go straight away and you RMA it, unlike nvidia's that brake after the warranty runs out.
and BTW according to statistics nvidia cards brake more than ATI
October 23, 2008 9:49:22 PM

techpro said:

you techpro damn idiot didnt u know that ati cards with ccc v 1.10 include the fan controller, so its not against warranty
to change the fan speed and it is not complicated, it takes 2 seconds...
so make some research before u post cause u look stupid...

about this card, looks good but at the actual price won't beat the 9800gt, but im pretty sure it'll go down
in less than a month to the $100 - $110 price range.
October 23, 2008 10:46:33 PM

I don't know where all the broken HD 4800's are because of heat. I know they run hot, but I don't see the broken ones. Where might they be?
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 10:55:54 PM

Dekasav said:
I don't know where all the broken HD 4800's are because of heat. I know they run hot, but I don't see the broken ones. Where might they be?

Theyre relabled as G8x...... no G9x...... no G1xx's heheh
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 11:07:23 PM

:) 
October 23, 2008 11:28:49 PM

hannibal said:
Interesting article! Does this mean that there are real 4830's and 4830se versions? In anyway it have a guite big effect on the results! I think that Anandtech has real 640 stream prosessor version. What other sites have the supposed SP count?

Battou said:
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/155

Looks like some of these reviews might be using cards missing as much as 10% of their shaders.

The difference is not nearly 10%, more like 3%. See this review that includes both versions:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4830/2...

At the current lowest price of $130 or $115 after rebates, 4830 simply cannot compete with the cheaper 9800gt/8800gt, at $120 or just under $100 after rebate, which also comes with dual slot aftermarket cooler and factory overclocking. Of course, this is good news for consumers. Expect price drop for 4830 sometime soon.

Dekasav said:

That's because it does not happen. The "temperature problem" is fabricated by fanboys who don't actually own the card. According to ATI's official statement, 4850/70 are rated to run at up to 105C.
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2008 11:44:10 PM

dagger said:
That's because it does not happen. The "temperature problem" is fabricated by fanboys who don't actually own the card. According to ATI's official statement, 4850/70 are rated to run at up to 105C.

+1 to that.

Fanbois will make up all sorts of stuff to avoid the truth if their team isn't on top at the moment. :lol: 
October 23, 2008 11:59:50 PM

great card for the price overall; however, i personally think that ati release this a little too late...................
October 24, 2008 8:57:45 AM

Nica Guy said:
you techpro damn idiot didnt u know that ati cards with ccc v 1.10 include the fan controller, so its not against warranty
to change the fan speed and it is not complicated, it takes 2 seconds...
so make some research before u post cause u look stupid...

Not as stupid as someone who didn't even read my post, I mean where exactly did I talk about warranties?

My point was a reasonable one, it matters little if fixing the problem is easy. If a person buys a new piece hardware, then that hardware should work correctly out of the box by default, is that so difficult to understand? Anyhow, I've already explained this above.

October 24, 2008 10:49:16 AM

techpro said:
Not as stupid as someone who didn't even read my post, I mean where exactly did I talk about warranties?

My point was a reasonable one, it matters little if fixing the problem is easy. If a person buys a new piece hardware, then that hardware should work correctly out of the box by default, is that so difficult to understand? Anyhow, I've already explained this above.

For gods sake man! The cards DO work right out of the box. The temperatures are FINE right out of the box as well. If you want amazing temperatures and overclocking headroom, then TURN UP THE FAN. Why does this make such a difference? It might have something to do with the 4xxx coolers being some of the best that have ever been offered for stock cards from either side. There are no problems with overheating, since the cards will never reach higher than 105c. Nvidia cards actually do have some problems at the moment. The truth, whether you believe it or not, is that nVidia and ATI are both companies. Neither wants you to be happy, unless it makes them money. So do not be a fanboy and do the stereotypical fanboy rant about a companies "moral" standards, THEY DON'T HAVE ANY. Just leave, you have failed my friend.

October 24, 2008 1:36:53 PM

^ roffle
October 24, 2008 4:47:25 PM

techpro said:

Although not terribly off. Aren't you exaggerating much?
!