Build Me An Adobe Rig

markerpower

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Hello,

Can anyone build me a rig that is able to run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, any other Adobe products, FireFox, IE, and Opera at the same time without lag? This includes each thing that I have open to have a lot of files open or a couple of big files open.

I currently use a Dell DE051, and while the above is workable it just lags to much for me. Even running just FireFox becomes a problem because it uses up so much memory. I also don't want to buy Dells, Gateways, Apples because I want control over what I put in my system and know what will run ok.

Thanks

runswindows95

Distinguished
Just a very rough reference:

A quad CPU
8GB of RAM with a 64-bit OS
Two hard drives: one for the OS and programs, another one for a scratch drive
Don't need a high end GPU for Adobe. If you don't game, something like the HD4670 or the 9500GT would work.

You can build something like this for about $1,000. Again, a budget would be highly helpful.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Probably integrated will do...

Make sure you have a decent size hard drive to store all your creations. The Seagate 1.5TB, WD Greenpower 1TB and the WD 640GB are good buys...

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Adobe's newest release is supposed to use the video card to help with some of the filters and what not --- You might double check their latest suggested cards to see if you can get a card that is compatible and greatly increase the speed of some functions.... I'm not sure if it is out yet but it is officially called CS4 and will be out within a month (i think)

Fwertz

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
As a photographer, if you sit back and reason how much time you'll be using filter effects, that take a while (for instance, surface-blur), it kind of discourages spending a ton of money on a high-end Nvidia GPU. 9 out of 10 times at least. Also, you'll need to spend the same amount of money as your computer just on the new software which really isn't going to pay for itself for months to come. It never has been. As it is a rule of thumb always invest much more money in GPU or CPU for gaming, you'll need to invest much more into RAM over a CPU, so a cheaper Quad would def. be the way to go. If you are getting CS4, by all means get the nicer GPU but from experience, instead of saving time on rarely-used processes invest in a second or third screen. The real-estate is always way worth it and will save you hours versus minutes in the long run. Also if you're using a second disk for scratch + data, put the scratch on the first partition.

starkie24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Yes indeed a card that's capable of being used with such programs as CS4 would be beneficial. If you don't really have a budget in mind a card like a GTX 280 will handle a lot of the load of the up and coming CS4's ability to process graphics images and what not. If you are more worried bout not spending to much you will require a faster CPU and you could probably then stick with an integrated graphics card. But you will find that having a GPU that is supported by the up and coming CS4 will greatly increase a computers ability to handle that program. I believe both the most recent series of graphics cards released from AMD and NVidia support the ability to be used in conjunction with CS4. That's the GTX2xx series from NVidia and the 48xx series from AMD

On the other hand i would suggest a quad core CPU and a couple of 640GB hard drives or what ever gives you the cheapest cents per GB at the time. 8GB of RAM will probably be useful as well.

:eek: I really do wonder how much GPU power it could possibly use for Photoshop or Aftereffects? I barely got CS3 at work and I had to pester for it since people were always sending me content written in CS2 or 3 and I had to tell them to send me a different format since I couldn't open it. Yeah I don't think I'll be seeing a new version till like CS5 :pfff:

starkie24

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006

The new line of NVidia graphics cards will greatly increase the speed at which you view and and render objects, it will also increase the quality of the objects you are viewing dramatically as well by using Anti-Aliasing and its ability to handle very high resolutions if your monitor is capable of handling the.
You will find the GPU input will get rid of a lot of lag from the program that you may experience with integrated graphics.

This is the website that mentioned the AMD GPU's will be able to enhance the programs ability to function also. I think there should be an increase of functionality using the AMD cards over the integrated. It would make sense as the AMD 48xx series is physics ready. But I however am not entirely sure on that.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/05/23/adobe.cs4.gpu.use/

TRENDING THREADS