PC stutters, some programs won't load

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello,

I overclocked my phenom ii x4 940 from 3.0 to 3.6ghz, passed the prime95 test without problems but my problems are as follows:

1. steam won't load after i overclocked my pc so i can't play left 4 dead 2 (but it loads and runs smoothly when i place all settings back to stock speed)

2. programs or games, if they were able to load, become laggy as if the picture is stuttering like 1 or half a second lag, even plants vs zombies does this 1 second lag

I manually set the ram timings and voltage in the bios and the cpu is getting adequate voltage. I'm just so perplexed why steam or some other programs can't load and why it stutters.

Facebook applications load very fast by the way. Browsers seem very fast too.

Please help =( Looking forward to your replies

well if it works fine at stock then you know its because of your OC, Did you monitor the temps, The stuttering may be caused by the CPU getting to hot and throttling down, in an attempt to stop itself from burning up.

OR It could be your memory, did you manually set the currect timings and voltage?

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
yep i manually set the timings and voltage found on the ram sticker and even checked ocz website to be sure. my cpu temps are between 35 C to 40 C during max load, I have a corsair h50. do you think it's the ram doing that? is that what bottlenecking looks like? the timing is 5-6-6-18 @2.10v

No thats not bottlenecking looks like. Bottlenecking (in simple terms) is when a component is limiting the performance of another component, usually the CPU bottlenecks the GPU, but not always.

BTW do you live in the arctic? 35/40C under Prime 95 at 3.6ghz?

How long did you run Prime95? You may want to do a memtest to check if your memory is 100% stable.

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
I'm using Core temp version 0.99.5 32 bit, I don't know if it's really posting the correct temps but it's posting those numbers. I have 2 side fans that's blowing the air out of the case, 1 front intake fan and the rear fan is the intake for the h50 radiator. The 4890's fan is manually set at 100% to provide additional air circulation and push the hot air toward the 2 side fans. I did run memtest on my memory sticks before and they showed no errors, maybe now it's beginning to fail? I'll do memtest again.