xp home wont start - constant reboot

laptop starts up, get to the win xp splash screen with the moving bar at the
bottom and then it blinks as if it's going to load up windows and then the
laptop restarts again. i've tried booting to safe mode, last known working
window config, all of it but it just keeps rebooting. Tried booting in safe
mode, it got as far as loading driver "atisgkaf.sys", then rebooted.
xp home came pre-loaded so i dont have the start up disk. i tried doing the
windows recovery but it asks me for the administrator's password but i never
set one and when i try to use the blank default, it says incorrect.
also, this laptop does not have a floppy drive. just a cd drive.
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about home wont start constant reboot

    This really sounds like it will be a challenge for you given that you don't
    have a Windows XP CD, you don't know the Admin password, etc. Is the system
    still under warranty? If so contact the vendor. The problem could be
    hardware related.

    You need to access the Recovery Console and you might need to reset the
    Admin password. So try the following 2 tools.
    www.webtree.ca\windowsxp\tools\ntpassword\ntpasswordhack.zip This will
    enable you to create a bootable CD that will assist you in removing the
    Administrator password
    www.webtree.ca\windowsxp\tools\bootdiscs\xp_rec_con.zip This will enable you
    to create a bootable CD that gives you access to the Recovery Console

    These ISOs must be burned to individual CDs using the instructions like
    those found here http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

    Once you have the Recovery Console running type
    chkdsk /r

    chkdsk might find and repair problems with your hard drive that could be
    causing your problem. See here for more info on the Recovery Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058 If you can't
    get into the Recovery Console due to the Admin password issue then use the
    ntpasswordhack from the first d/l

    Try here for info on accessing the Registry via the Recovery Console to see
    if you can manually repair it
    http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "procrastinator2k4" <procrastinator2k4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:364A9301-E45D-4B4F-99BA-03CF7DB11163@microsoft.com...
    > laptop starts up, get to the win xp splash screen with the moving bar at
    > the
    > bottom and then it blinks as if it's going to load up windows and then the
    > laptop restarts again. i've tried booting to safe mode, last known
    > working
    > window config, all of it but it just keeps rebooting. Tried booting in
    > safe
    > mode, it got as far as loading driver "atisgkaf.sys", then rebooted.
    > xp home came pre-loaded so i dont have the start up disk. i tried doing
    > the
    > windows recovery but it asks me for the administrator's password but i
    > never
    > set one and when i try to use the blank default, it says incorrect.
    > also, this laptop does not have a floppy drive. just a cd drive.
    > thanks

    thanks for the quick response. i did manage to recovery the administrator's
    password and was able to get to the windows recovery and did chkdsk. it
    tells me "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"
    then i went to that other site where it tells me to delete the system files
    and copy over a fresh version and when i went to reboot, it asks me for the
    admin password again and says it's incorrect. tried changing it again and it
    wont work. did the exact same thing and it still tells me it's incorrect.
    anyways, thanks for all your help. i really appreciate it. i'm just gonna
    go and reinstall the OS.

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > This really sounds like it will be a challenge for you given that you don't
    > have a Windows XP CD, you don't know the Admin password, etc. Is the system
    > still under warranty? If so contact the vendor. The problem could be
    > hardware related.
    >
    > You need to access the Recovery Console and you might need to reset the
    > Admin password. So try the following 2 tools.
    > www.webtree.ca\windowsxp\tools\ntpassword\ntpasswordhack.zip This will
    > enable you to create a bootable CD that will assist you in removing the
    > Administrator password
    > www.webtree.ca\windowsxp\tools\bootdiscs\xp_rec_con.zip This will enable you
    > to create a bootable CD that gives you access to the Recovery Console
    >
    > These ISOs must be burned to individual CDs using the instructions like
    > those found here http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm
    >
    > Once you have the Recovery Console running type
    > chkdsk /r
    >
    > chkdsk might find and repair problems with your hard drive that could be
    > causing your problem. See here for more info on the Recovery Console
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058 If you can't
    > get into the Recovery Console due to the Admin password issue then use the
    > ntpasswordhack from the first d/l
    >
    > Try here for info on accessing the Registry via the Recovery Console to see
    > if you can manually repair it
    > http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "procrastinator2k4" <procrastinator2k4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:364A9301-E45D-4B4F-99BA-03CF7DB11163@microsoft.com...
    > > laptop starts up, get to the win xp splash screen with the moving bar at
    > > the
    > > bottom and then it blinks as if it's going to load up windows and then the
    > > laptop restarts again. i've tried booting to safe mode, last known
    > > working
    > > window config, all of it but it just keeps rebooting. Tried booting in
    > > safe
    > > mode, it got as far as loading driver "atisgkaf.sys", then rebooted.
    > > xp home came pre-loaded so i dont have the start up disk. i tried doing
    > > the
    > > windows recovery but it asks me for the administrator's password but i
    > > never
    > > set one and when i try to use the blank default, it says incorrect.
    > > also, this laptop does not have a floppy drive. just a cd drive.
    > > thanks

    If chkdsk is giving you errors I'd start looking at a failing hard drive as
    being a possible problem.

    --

    message news:9C2F4756-C2F4-4E7B-A639-17E18EBB4420@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> > at
    >> > the
    >> > bottom and then it blinks as if it's going to load up windows and then
    >> > the
    >> > laptop restarts again. i've tried booting to safe mode, last known
    >> > working
    >> > window config, all of it but it just keeps rebooting. Tried booting in
    >> > safe
    >> > mode, it got as far as loading driver "atisgkaf.sys", then rebooted.
    >> > xp home came pre-loaded so i dont have the start up disk. i tried
    >> > doing
    >> > the
    >> > windows recovery but it asks me for the administrator's password but i
    >> > never
    >> > set one and when i try to use the blank default, it says incorrect.
    >> > also, this laptop does not have a floppy drive. just a cd drive.

Laptops Constant Reboot Windows XP