last comments/suggestions on first build?

a13monkey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Here is the new setup i have been planning to get for a little while now. I have a few questions for you guys. I am going to be using this computer for 3d renderings so i have heard that quad core is def better for that.

Should i raid multiple HDD's or should i keep the 1T?

Is this mobo good for the 64 bit vista?

Are these items all compatable?

OEM HDD or get a new one?

If you guys have any other good advice for me id really appreciate it.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Graphics: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

RAM: 2xCORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096

HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Monitor: Acer P244Wbii Black 24" 2ms HDMI 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

DVD: ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD for System Builders - OEM

Heatsink: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - Retail

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Looks good, Get Vista Home Premium 64 though, you'll save a few bucks and you won't be missing any of the "features".

I think that the Q6600 is a fine choice if you find the Q9550 too expensive, I rather have a quad than a dual core.

I am not an expert on 3d rendering.
I understand that the process takes an input file, does some processing, and writes out the converted data.

If the processing is capable of using more than two cores, and is very cpu intensive, then a quad is good. Otherwise a duo E8500 would be better.

The above type of sequential processing runs fastest if you have the input on one hard drive, and the output on the other. I would suggest two drives, without raid.

All motherboards will do fine with 64 bit vista. Your application might benefit from 8gb of ram. Check that out.

An OEM hard drive means it comes without instructions, sata cables, in a bubble wrap. It is new.

I would not think you would need such a powerful and expensive gpu unless it was for fast action games.

Do you really need ultimate? Go to the vista web site and compare the features. For the individual user, there are very few that you might want compared to home premium.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Looks good. You can go RAID0 if you religiously move the data off to a storage drive. If your RAID0 crashes, you will be crying.

I have the Q6600 and it will give you a hassle free OC to 3G. I think the Q9XX CPUs, which also OC very well, will give you more performance per clock in rendering. You will have to check the benches to see if the Penryn is worth the extra cash.

a13monkey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
so the only thing i should think about should be maybe upping the cpu other then that i have an external 500g that i use to save all my important save files so i dont think its neccisary to worry about another one. Thanks for the input guys.

And theirs no real difference between ultimate vista and premium?

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
stick with the quad for 3d rendering, 3d apps can utilize the extra cores

as for HD, just buy OEM, its the same thing with same warranty, just doesnt come in a retail box and no cables or instructions

you might want to look into getting a workstation type card like an ATI FireGL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195047
its specifically designed for 3D apps such as rendering and what not and will speed up the render times
the workstation cards are not as quick in games though

as for memory i would get yourself the max, more mem = less headache with rendering, and plus, ddr2 mem is dirt cheap now

i would even go as far as ditching the acer 16:9 monitor, you lose desktop space with it, get a 16:10 monitor instead that has good color gamut+contrast ratio which means somethign other than acer probably, samsung and viewsonic make good screens

and yes as someone already mentioned, getting two hard drives and running them separately will speed things up.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

+1 on getting home premium instead