Is the Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ meant to make this much noise?

solidsnake204

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I've very recently returned a Seagate 7200.12 1TB due to it being very noisy. eBuyer confirmed it to be faulty and I asked for a Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB HD103SJ as a replacement.

I've got the drive and it's also very noisy, sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09pWNQPK7U

The Samsung is quiter than the Seagate but it's still easily audible over the case fans.

Considering this is my 2nd drive in a row that is noisy, is it normal for 1TB drives to be this loud or is this drive faulty too?

micharus

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I have the same Hard Drive (Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB HD103SJ) and mine is also noisy when accessed.

It also appears to be a bit slow throwing out the relevant information.

It may of course have something to do with the fact that it is mostly used as a storage drive.

The fact that is as noisy as it is means that I plan on going to buy another 1 (maybe 2) 1TB+ drives, with the aim of backing up the samsung just in case it is going to turn it's toes up on me.

solidsnake204

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Well, using the Samsung diagnostic software, I enabled the acoustic management, is a lot quieter now (Not as fast as before but still very fast).

The fact that you aswell have said it's noisy, I would say it's normal for the drive and not failing.