ASUS P5Q SE/R memory issues?

darth meatloaf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I have the P5Q SE/R.

I'm currently running that board with a QX6600, 4GB (2x2GB) 800MHz Crucial Ballistix ram and an EVGA 9600GT.

I'm looking at upgrading to a 64-bit OS, and want to stack more ram on it when I do so. There is one review on Newegg (where I purchased the board) that states that the reviewer had issues with 8GB of ram on that board (4x2GB) and when he emailed ASUS support about it, they responded that there was a memory utilization issue with that board when all 4 slots were in use.

Can anyone with a P5Q SE/R confirm or refute that statement? Anyone that has 4 sticks of ram on the board will be fine, but preferrably I'd like to get word from someone that is running either 8GB or 16GB on it.

Thank you

craym0nk

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
The Asus website specs say: " 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1200(O.C.)/1066/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory" http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=vsgzgisAA0SCpIOq

I can confirm that this board works fine with 4x 2GB sticks of Kingston 800MHz RAM (2x KVR800D2N6K2/4G Kits) on WinXP x64. Check the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) on the site above to check which RAM is supported on the board.

Mog111

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Owned this board for about 7 months and had 4GB for about a month then upgraded to 8GB and was fine for about 6 months, then one day it would boot fine but lockup randomly in windows. After I removed 2 sticks of ram since I researched this board and errors others had it ran fine. I would suggest to others wanting to run higher then 4GB to just buy 4GB or higher sticks and just use 2 slots or obviously buying another board. All 4 sticks I have used were Corsair XMS2 800mhz 2GB purchased from newegg, they work great and had them O.C.ed to 923mhz with no problems, 925mhz and higher seemed to randomly crash say once every 2 weeks.

MrMooMoo

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm having a similar issue with a non OC'd P5Q running 2x 800MHZ Kingston KVR800D2N6K2/2G. The machine would randomly reboot after 5-15min. It's not the memory as it runs fine with either stick the A1 slot.

Sage256

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
My board would crash with in 5-10 minutes if i did anything processor/memory intensive. After a few days of research I found that my memory timing settings were all wrong, they were automatically set. I had to manually set the timing and it worked fine after that. Not sure if this is the issue you guys are having but you should check and see what the BIOS is running your memory at.

I was only running 2 sticks and it wasn't happy until I reset the timing to the manufactures specs. I can imagine how mad it gets if your running 4 sticks with 2 different sets of settings.

sugee

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I have been running my system for more than the last 6 months stable on 4x 2GB Transcend DDR2 modules. The one I've got is the one with Samsung chipset on each modules. I've tried Super Talent, Corsair and none of them would even boot up. Plug in the Transcend and works wonder always.

Sage256

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Adding to my earlier post. I just had to set up my BIOS again because of a bad virus/crash deal, Anyways, after setting everything up i was getting BSOD and crashes frequently. Then i remembered not only did i have to set the Ram timing I also had to set the frequency. My ram requires 2.0 - 2.1 and the auto detect in the BIOS sets it for 1.8 as soon as I set the frequency to 2.1 everything runs fine.

darth meatloaf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007

No. No it won't, and by posting that particular link you do two things:

1: You assume I am stupid.
2: You prove that you didn't really read, or at least understand, my post or any of the responses.

This is not an issue of how much ram my OS will recognize, it is a matter of how much ram I can stack onto the motherboard without the motherboard crashing, which has been shown to be an issue with the P5Q SE/R unless using very specific brands of RAM.

Read, read, read before posting.

jmurdoch

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

I agree that the ASUS website/manual confirms compatibility, however, the board does not support that kingston memory, I run a computer shop and pretty much all the low/mid end ASUS boards do not work with all 4 ram slots in use. Even with that exact Kingston memory. I have a system we are trying to get out at the moment with that kingston memory part, and our own memory, and neither works. Refer to the earlier message in the thread where ASUS has acknowledged a ram utilisation issue with this series.

If you want 8gb ram, go for ddr3 now as the isssue is not there. I believe the issue is actually not due to the board not supporting 8 or 16gb of ram, it is to do with the board not supporting a chip density greater than 64mb per chip when all 4 slots are full. The ram would most likely need to be 16 chips per side instead of the usual 8.

Yusifoon

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I got the same problem with p5q se, i had the 2X2 ceon ddr2 800 cl5 working fine... after adding another 2X2 of the same Ceon DDr 2 , my explorer has stop working, cant play videos and windows crashes all time......

harry_hardest

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Same problem here with ASUS P5Q SE.
2x KVR800D2N6K2 = 4Gb works ok
Adding on more module means BSODs

Is there a way I can get at least 6 Gb working? I need 6Gb for new games....
Thank you