Saphire toxic 4870 1GB---is this cooler worth it??

hey everyone. im getting a 4870 soon and i heard about saphire's toxic cooling system. reviews say that this lowers temps almost 20c lower. i've seen the toxic 4870 512mb(here--------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102796 but i've newer seen a toxic 1 GB version.

but than today i saw this on newegg(-------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801 is this a toxic 4870 1GB?? it has the same black cooler with heat pipes (3rd picture) it looks like a toxic edition but no where on the page does it say its a toxic, and it dosnt say toxic on the card either. so im asking if anyone knows what this card is??? thanks
21 answers Last reply
More about saphire toxic 4870 cooler worth
  1. Look at the link now... All fixed and not the 1gig version.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102796
  2. ok, so the 512mb version is the toxic but the 1 GB version isnt?? that sucks. but ok. thank you
  3. jonj320 said:
    hey everyone. im getting a 4870 soon and i heard about saphire's toxic cooling system. reviews say that this lowers temps almost 20c lower. i've seen the toxic 4870 512mb(here--------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102796 but i've newer seen a toxic 1 GB version.

    but than today i saw this on newegg(-------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801 is this a toxic 4870 1GB?? it has the same black cooler with heat pipes (3rd picture) it looks like a toxic edition but no where on the page does it say its a toxic, and it dosnt say toxic on the card either. so im asking if anyone knows what this card is??? thanks


    I don't see anywhere does it say toxic, so i doubt it uses that same type of cooling convection.

    It does look very suspicious, and I also thought it was a toxic edition 1gb version, but you know it's not on the Sapphrie website, only a 1gb version but not a 1gb toxic version of hte 4870.

    I could have sworn it was a toxic version as well, but it probably isn't.

    edit: This is the list of cards on their website:

    "SAPPHIRE HD 4800 Series
    SAPPHIRE HD 4830 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 X2 2G GDDR5 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E"
  4. Basically, it's using the same cooler as the TOXIC, but it's running at the default speeds. You shouldn't have a problem overclocking it to TOXIC speeds, or beyond, but I guess that will just depend.
  5. the one person who wrote a review on the newegg page said that he has 40c temps at idle, so i hope he isnt lieing..

    im just trying to decide if the new fan over the stock cooler makes this worth buying.
  6. megamanx00 said:
    Basically, it's using the same cooler as the TOXIC, but it's running at the default speeds. You shouldn't have a problem overclocking it to TOXIC speeds, or beyond, but I guess that will just depend.


    Are you sure though? B/c if it is, and it's only $10-ish I don't really see a point in not going w/ it.
  7. thats what i was thinking, i just want someone to confirm that this cooler actually works
  8. what resolution you playing at?
  9. right now im at 1680x1050, but im going to get a 24 or 27 inch monitor for christmas so ill need the extra ram for the 19x10(sorry dont know exactly) resolution
  10. 1980*1200 most likely, but ok, 1 think the one gb wouldnt be a bad move...but the toxic wouldn't be either

    i would go for the toxic personally
  11. ya thats the resolution, sorry. so you would pick the toxic 512mb over the other 1GB even though there is only a $10 difference between them?
  12. 1 gb sapphire, check the reviews of the 1 gb 4870. they do surpass the 512.

    for 10$ the 1gb is a no brainer
  13. Apparently ATI is going to change it's reference design on at least the 4870 and up to this new vapor chamber tech. If it were me, I would bet all larger Sapphire cards adopting this in the next few weeks, with the others following.
  14. macer1 said:


    See I'm not even sure if they are actually using the toxic cooler on that 4870 w/ 1gb, the 4870 512 toxic is using copper heatpipes but the 4870 1gb could be using nickel plated copper heatpipes we wouldn't know until somebody had a review on that version....

    I just want to know if that 4870 w/ the 1-gb is using the vapor chamber cooler or just a standar cooler, anybody know for sure?
  15. well, ive got 2 3870 toxic cards and i love 'em. cool and super quiet
  16. looks to be but I think they just used a similar cowling. Vapor X coolers needs to be flush with the card for the heat exchange to work and I seeing some sizable gaps between the 1gb cowling and the card
  17. I have this card.... had it for a week now....
    Is it possible that this is a fake? On CCleaner it says 4800 series. haven't checked the video RAM yet but it does look legitimate as a Sapphire card. Box and prepherials all here. Anyone mind doing an investigation into this?
  18. FrozenGpu said:
    I don't see anywhere does it say toxic, so i doubt it uses that same type of cooling convection.

    It does look very suspicious, and I also thought it was a toxic edition 1gb version, but you know it's not on the Sapphrie website, only a 1gb version but not a 1gb toxic version of hte 4870.

    I could have sworn it was a toxic version as well, but it probably isn't.

    edit: This is the list of cards on their website:

    "SAPPHIRE HD 4800 Series
    SAPPHIRE HD 4830 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 1GB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E Dual Slot Fansink
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 1G GDDR5 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE HD 4870 X2 2G GDDR5 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E
    SAPPHIRE TOXIC HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 PCI-E"


    I just bought a sapphire hd4870 and it is 512mb not toxic and it has that cooler.
  19. No this is not the toxic, all sapphire 4870s look like this. The toxic is a step up from this in terms of cooling.

    Alternatively you could get the cheapest 4870 and then buy your own aftermarket VGA cooler - you'd get similar or better performance than the toxic and cheaper
  20. @ Megamanx00 (Basically, it's using the same cooler as the TOXIC, but it's running at the default speeds. You shouldn't have a problem overclocking it to TOXIC speeds, or beyond, but I guess that will just depend.)

    [*** ing noob, the toxic version has an OTHER cooler then the non-toxic

    The toxic has higher clockspeeds + a special non-reference vapor x cooling, which is a WELL improvement, i know that because i own the 1gb toxic, and a friend of me the stock one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Reviews Cooling Graphics Product