Sign in with
Your question

8800GT power question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2008 2:49:40 AM

(Sorry if this isn't the correct category - first time poster.)

Hi, I had a question about whether or not this setup would work. I'm about to buy an 8800GT from XFX ("Alpha Dog") or one from PNY, and I was wondering about power. I just need a second opinion - PSU calculators say I'm fine but I'm making sure with a real person. Say I was playing Half-Life 2 or WoW.

First off, let me say I have a brand-name power supply from Dell. It's good quality. It's marked at 350 watts and is a dual-12v rail setup with 18 amps on each 12vA and 12vB. I've got 2 sticks of DDR2 512mb RAM, a 3.4ghz Intel Pentium 4 Prescott CPU, a 7200rpm SATA hard disk, one CD and one DVD drive, the basic setup that comes with a Dell Dimension 8400. It has a Radeon X300SE in it currently, I believe. (The driver is X300/X550/X1050.) PSU calculators tell me I'll need about 320 watts or so while gaming, and 12 amps on the 12v rail powering my theoretical 8800GT via one 6-pin PCI-E connector. Will this setup work with gaming? I don't need to hear about performance, just whether my PSU will shut down. (Nothing like Crysis - just WoW, War Rock, HL2, et cetera.)

Thank you very much in advance!

-DH

More about : 8800gt power question

October 24, 2008 2:58:25 AM

Thanks, dagger. And the PSU is of fairly good quality. Definitely not generic junk. As long as that will be enough - will my CPU be a bottleneck at all in any way? I've heard "definitely" and "definitely not" from all sorts of software professionals, I thought I'd come over here and ask at Tom's.
Related resources
October 24, 2008 3:02:18 AM

doctorhorrible said:
Thanks, dagger. And the PSU is of fairly good quality. Definitely not generic junk. As long as that will be enough - will my CPU be a bottleneck at all in any way? I've heard "definitely" and "definitely not" from all sorts of software professionals, I thought I'd come over here and ask at Tom's.

It depends on game. Wow, definitely not. Half Life 2, sometimes, depending on how much action is going on. Newer games like Stalker Clear Sky, definitely.
October 24, 2008 3:13:20 AM

What about semi-new games like CoD4, Halo 3, BF2142, and the last few releases of Second Life? (Sorry to keep bothering you, just want to make sure this upgrade is worth it.)

The things it has to be able to play well are CoD4 and War Rock and WoW.
October 24, 2008 3:20:44 AM

Praise to you if you can run COD 4. Sorry if I'm being pessimistic, but I highly doubt it would work.

You might be able to get away in multiplayer with everything maxed, but single player would probably struggle due to AI calculations.
I'm just guessing though, correct me if I'm wrong. :) 
a c 365 U Graphics card
October 24, 2008 3:21:55 AM

Impossible.

Both 12v rails cannot output 18 amps each, or 36 amps combined. That would mean the 350w PSU would be able to output 432w just on the 12v rails. 432w = 12v x 36 amps.

Those are peak amps for each rail (which should only last for a fraction of a second).
October 24, 2008 3:23:16 AM

MaoTheChimp said:
Praise to you if you can run COD 4. Sorry if I'm being pessimistic, but I highly doubt it would work.

You might be able to get away in multiplayer with everything maxed, but single player would probably struggle due to AI calculations.
I'm just guessing though, correct me if I'm wrong. :) 

Actually, that won't be an issue - I've run more complicated AI games on this rig than that. I was worried about physics, and CoD4 has very simple physics compared to a game like Rainbow Six Vegas.

Edit: you're right, I was reading the peak amps. Would it work with 14 amps on each rail? The calculator told me I'd need 11 amps on 12v2 (CPU) and 8.2 amps on 12v1 during typical gaming, with a total gaming consumption of 240 watts.
a c 106 U Graphics card
October 24, 2008 3:49:47 AM

Well, you should be fine as long as the rest of your system doesn't suck up too much power. Make sure your PSU has some kind of overvolt protection just in case, that way if you use too much power it should turn itself off rather than catching on fire ^_^. If it turns off, you may want to dissconnect the CD Drive to give the rest of the system a few watts until you get another PSU. Keep in mind that the 8800GT you are looking at is overclocked and will use a few more watts than one at stock clocks. If you want to be safe I think you'll be fine getting a Radeon 4670 since you'll be pretty limited by the rest of your system anyway.
October 24, 2008 3:50:57 AM

Remember as a PSU ages it decreases output, so you may find that you do not have enough power.
Good news, if you need it PCPower sells PSU's that fit dell computers.
October 24, 2008 3:54:50 AM

Hey guys -

Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to know, if I got an 8800GT, what would be my biggest bottleneck? The CPU or the RAM? (So you know, I'm about to upgrade to 2 gigs of DDR2 - so that will soon be twice as good.)
!