Improving SSD performance...

b1naryMan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hi,

I have recently bought and install one SSD (OCZ Vertex Series) on my desktop Pc(Windows 7). I made a search on the internet for improving SSD performance an and I was in doubt on apply any changes on my Pc. For example
- Update firmware
- Disable windows paging file
- Disable windows search indexer

I want to be sure which changes to make on my operating system. I don't want to experiment on my Pc. Can anyone help me with telling me (briefly) which changes are good to be done

Thanks

gracefully

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Yes, you should always install the latest firmware for your SSD. They usually introduce new features or fix bugs.

The second one is optional. If you have more than 4GB of RAM, then you can safely disable the pagefile, unless you have RAM hogging applications like 3D modeling software or video editors or a lot of windows open. The guide suggests removing the paging file because it involves many reads/writes to the same area of the SSD, which will cause it to wear out sooner. If you have a second mechanical HDD, then you can set the pagefile there instead.

You should disable the search indexer because it stresses the SSD flash cells by writing new indexed files. The SSD performs lightning-fast searches anyway, so there's not much need for the indexer. This prolongs the life of your SSD.

jdp245

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

You can also set Windows 7 indexing program to write the index to a HDD if you have a HDD available. That way, the indexing program will only be making reads to the SSD, which won't hurt it.

TRENDING THREADS