madgooner

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hi can anyone advise me. I have a thermaltake 700 watt toughpower psu in a thermaltake lanbox, the problem is there are loads of extra leads and connectors which i do not use and they are a bunched up mess, i have no room inside because of them and its really messing up my air flow. Is it possible to either replace the leads or cut off the ones i dont need? Thanks in advance

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Sure, with the PSU unplugged you may cut the unused leads but be careful to insulate the ends so that they dont short. However, what happens in the future when your setup changes and you need a lead from your PSU that you have now dismembered?

NarwhaleAu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Just cut them off with pliers and crimp them together - you don't need to insulate the ends. In fact, you could just tie the ends off with some wire tightly to position them out of the way.

wait - I'm joking.

DON'T GO CUTTING THE LEADS OFF YOUR POWER SUPPLY!

Here is your question:
My power supply has too many leads and I don't have enough space.

Here is your answer:
Buy yourself a bigger case.

+1 for NarwhaleAu. A bigger case is safer, will help more with the cooling, and will allow you to use even huge video cards like nVidia's GTX series. There's a RC-690 for $80 at newegg for example.

Opening the PSU is too scary, I wouldn't. Keep in mind that it can be dangerous even with the PSU unplugged because of capacitors that may still be loaded.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Of course, the OP might actually want a ... lanbox. As in a small case. In that case, you might be better off buying a modular PSU instead of another case.

I am not an electrical engineer, though honestly, I doubt that mythor's advice is in any way incorrect, caveats included.

Not sure of your intention with the replace the leads part of the question, but to cut off and remove the unused leads of course you can do that.

However you'd have to decide if this is a one way ticket [Allowing no future use for a hardware upgrade] for you, or a round trip ticket, [Being able to restore the leads for future use].

In a one way ticket senario you could remove the leads back to the solder point! See Note:!!!

Note: Danger !!! Power Supplies are still voltage charged through the capacitors even after being unplugged, you will need to ground and remove the stored charge!!!

The round trip ticket senario is cut, label, and insulate the wires about 3" outside the P/S, so if needed later, You could solder them back together and insulate them [Preferably with heat shrink wrap], for continued use.

Personally I'd take the round trip, if it was absolutely necessary for your situation, but you do need to realize once you cut the wires!, Your power supply warranty is gone!