Configuration Change

OK, my wifes hard drive died. She mostly just uses her system to browse the
internet & e-mail. The HD was a 40gb. So, on my system I had a 120 & 80 gb
drive. So I bought a new 250gb drive at Sam's for $119 and installed it in
my system and gave her my 80gb. Her system only has a system restore CD. So
I redid everything. Put it back to as it was when new but with this
"hand-me-down" HD. That worked for a while but then it stopped booting and
only showed "configuration change". So I did it again. Once again it lasted
for a while then did the same thing. So I assume this has to do with their
registration BS. Of course it down't say anything like that. It doesn't say
to contact MS or anything. So how do I fix it? I know when I used the
restore disk it didn't ask for a product key. So how do I get it
reregisterd?
18 answers Last reply
More about configuration change

    Hi,

    Define "a while". 10 minutes? A few days? Weeks? Activation (not
    registration) would not be hamstrung by changing the hard drive. I doubt
    that it has anything to do with it. If it did, it would occur during
    installation, not at a later time. I would also run a drive diagnostic, as
    the 80GB may be dying as well.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > OK, my wifes hard drive died. She mostly just uses her system to browse
    > the internet & e-mail. The HD was a 40gb. So, on my system I had a 120 &
    > 80 gb drive. So I bought a new 250gb drive at Sam's for $119 and installed
    > it in my system and gave her my 80gb. Her system only has a system restore
    > CD. So I redid everything. Put it back to as it was when new but with this
    > "hand-me-down" HD. That worked for a while but then it stopped booting and
    > only showed "configuration change". So I did it again. Once again it
    > lasted for a while then did the same thing. So I assume this has to do
    > with their registration BS. Of course it down't say anything like that. It
    > doesn't say to contact MS or anything. So how do I fix it? I know when I
    > used the restore disk it didn't ask for a product key. So how do I get it
    > reregisterd?

    Few weeks.
    It works fine for a while then stops and just displays configuration change.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Define "a while". 10 minutes? A few days? Weeks? Activation (not
    > registration) would not be hamstrung by changing the hard drive. I doubt
    > that it has anything to do with it. If it did, it would occur during
    > installation, not at a later time. I would also run a drive diagnostic, as
    > the 80GB may be dying as well.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> OK, my wifes hard drive died. She mostly just uses her system to browse
    >> the internet & e-mail. The HD was a 40gb. So, on my system I had a 120 &
    >> 80 gb drive. So I bought a new 250gb drive at Sam's for $119 and
    >> installed it in my system and gave her my 80gb. Her system only has a
    >> system restore CD. So I redid everything. Put it back to as it was when
    >> new but with this "hand-me-down" HD. That worked for a while but then it
    >> stopped booting and only showed "configuration change". So I did it
    >> again. Once again it lasted for a while then did the same thing. So I
    >> assume this has to do with their registration BS. Of course it down't say
    >> anything like that. It doesn't say to contact MS or anything. So how do I
    >> fix it? I know when I used the restore disk it didn't ask for a product
    >> key. So how do I get it reregisterd?

    I know it never asked for an activation code/number when I used the restore
    CD.
    This whole situation is greatly complicated bacause we are in a long
    distance marriage. My job transfered some years ago. I was last home
    memorial day week (re-did her system then bringing my 80gb after her HD
    crashed).
    Thought everything was fine but some weeks later it the configuration change
    showed up. I really was not the one to fix it. I got my oldest son who is an
    Electrical Engineer working for Boeing in St Louis to go there and do it
    again. (Took forever to get him to come over and do that). My wife came here
    for 4 July week. This last week (labor day) I would normally have gone there
    but she wanted to go to Florida. She flew to Orlando and I drove there and
    picked here up. I will not be back there till Thanksgiving. (BTW, "there" is
    SW Illinois across from St Louis and here is Asheville NC, it's ~600 miles).
    My son is a pain in the a** (He lives SW of St Louis about 40 miles away and
    he told his mom it can wait till I get there for Thanksgiving). I've decided
    to try and instruct my wife over the phone how to resore it (could lead to a
    divorce, wives never listen to their husbands (;-)), BUT, I want to solve
    this "configuration change" problem first.
    BTW, my wife told me she wants a new computer (laptop) for Xmax/Chanukkah
    (;-). I've already been doing a little looking around.

    > Few weeks.
    > It works fine for a while then stops and just displays configuration
    > change.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Define "a while". 10 minutes? A few days? Weeks? Activation (not
    >> registration) would not be hamstrung by changing the hard drive. I doubt
    >> that it has anything to do with it. If it did, it would occur during
    >> installation, not at a later time. I would also run a drive diagnostic,
    >> as the 80GB may be dying as well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> OK, my wifes hard drive died. She mostly just uses her system to browse
    >>> the internet & e-mail. The HD was a 40gb. So, on my system I had a 120 &
    >>> 80 gb drive. So I bought a new 250gb drive at Sam's for $119 and
    >>> installed it in my system and gave her my 80gb. Her system only has a
    >>> system restore CD. So I redid everything. Put it back to as it was when
    >>> new but with this "hand-me-down" HD. That worked for a while but then it
    >>> stopped booting and only showed "configuration change". So I did it
    >>> again. Once again it lasted for a while then did the same thing. So I
    >>> assume this has to do with their registration BS. Of course it down't
    >>> say anything like that. It doesn't say to contact MS or anything. So how
    >>> do I fix it? I know when I used the restore disk it didn't ask for a
    >>> product key. So how do I get it reregisterd?

    Hi,

    So when precisely does the "configuration change" message appear? During
    normal use? Or at boot up? Is this all there is to the message? It could be
    as simple as some piece of installed software.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Few weeks.
    > It works fine for a while then stops and just displays configuration
    > change.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Define "a while". 10 minutes? A few days? Weeks? Activation (not
    >> registration) would not be hamstrung by changing the hard drive. I doubt
    >> that it has anything to do with it. If it did, it would occur during
    >> installation, not at a later time. I would also run a drive diagnostic,
    >> as the 80GB may be dying as well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> OK, my wifes hard drive died. She mostly just uses her system to browse
    >>> the internet & e-mail. The HD was a 40gb. So, on my system I had a 120 &
    >>> 80 gb drive. So I bought a new 250gb drive at Sam's for $119 and
    >>> installed it in my system and gave her my 80gb. Her system only has a
    >>> system restore CD. So I redid everything. Put it back to as it was when
    >>> new but with this "hand-me-down" HD. That worked for a while but then it
    >>> stopped booting and only showed "configuration change". So I did it
    >>> again. Once again it lasted for a while then did the same thing. So I
    >>> assume this has to do with their registration BS. Of course it down't
    >>> say anything like that. It doesn't say to contact MS or anything. So how
    >>> do I fix it? I know when I used the restore disk it didn't ask for a
    >>> product key. So how do I get it reregisterd?

    Boot up. All she gets is a dos type message.
    Booting in safe mode doesn't help. Same message.
    You know with the usual prompts for safe mode or normal boot.

    > Hi,
    >
    > So when precisely does the "configuration change" message appear? During
    > normal use? Or at boot up? Is this all there is to the message? It could
    > be as simple as some piece of installed software.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Few weeks.
    >> It works fine for a while then stops and just displays configuration
    >> change.
    >>

    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Define "a while". 10 minutes? A few days? Weeks? Activation (not
    >>> registration) would not be hamstrung by changing the hard drive. I doubt
    >>> that it has anything to do with it. If it did, it would occur during
    >>> installation, not at a later time. I would also run a drive diagnostic,
    >>> as the 80GB may be dying as well.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Boot up. All she gets is a dos type message.
    Booting in safe mode doesn't help. Same message.
    You know with the usual prompts for safe mode or normal boot.

    > Hi,
    >
    > So when precisely does the "configuration change" message appear? During
    > normal use? Or at boot up? Is this all there is to the message? It could
    > be as simple as some piece of installed software.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Few weeks.
    >> It works fine for a while then stops and just displays configuration
    >> change.
    >>

    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Define "a while". 10 minutes? A few days? Weeks? Activation (not
    >>> registration) would not be hamstrung by changing the hard drive. I doubt
    >>> that it has anything to do with it. If it did, it would occur during
    >>> installation, not at a later time. I would also run a drive diagnostic,
    >>> as the 80GB may be dying as well.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    And you are sure she's not adding any software/hardware to the system? Is
    that all there is to the error message?

    --

    > Boot up. All she gets is a dos type message.
    > Booting in safe mode doesn't help. Same message.
    > You know with the usual prompts for safe mode or normal boot.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> So when precisely does the "configuration change" message appear? During
    >> normal use? Or at boot up? Is this all there is to the message? It could
    >> be as simple as some piece of installed software.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Few weeks.
    >>> It works fine for a while then stops and just displays configuration
    >>> change.
    >>>

    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    My wife has no idea how to add software or hardware. I'm convinced it's a
    product activation thing.

    The first time I redid everything after adding the HD (I was back in
    Illinois the full week of memorial day) I decided to add MS Antispyware
    later in the week (yes, she's running Antivirus & Firewall software).
    I have arthritis in my lower back and right knee. I use a cane and they want
    to do a knee replacement. I also use reading glasses. I was gradually
    restoring all software and settings (look and feel) to make things easy for
    her. When I went to the website it said I needed the product key from either
    the install disk or from the label on the machine. Her machine is a 933mhz
    emachine. The activation code was not on the install disk. It was at night
    in a partially darkened room.
    It was hard enough getting down, pulling all off all the cables on that
    stupid machine and taking it to a table the first day I was there to replace
    the HD. (Wife had to carry it. Back is so bad I couldn't. Plus with use of
    cane I only have one hand to use. If it doesn't have a handle and I can't
    get my left arm around it securely I can't carry it).
    Anyway, I wasn't about to try and lower myself to the floor and try to read
    some stupid product code in a darkened room so I just cancelled out of the
    install. As I said I'm convinced it's a product key problem. If I try to
    talk her through another re-install how do I tell her how to make sure the
    product key is installed? I suppose I could try to talk her through going to
    MS to get the antispyware. It asked for the product key. (Wow, just the
    thought of directing her by phone on doing something like that has divorce
    all over it).

    > And you are sure she's not adding any software/hardware to the system? Is
    > that all there is to the error message?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Boot up. All she gets is a dos type message.
    >> Booting in safe mode doesn't help. Same message.
    >> You know with the usual prompts for safe mode or normal boot.
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> So when precisely does the "configuration change" message appear? During
    >>> normal use? Or at boot up? Is this all there is to the message? It could
    >>> be as simple as some piece of installed software.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    If it was a "product activation thing", then the message would read that the
    product needs to be activated or reactivated and she would be given a prompt
    to follow through with the steps offering a choice of internet activation or
    phone activation, not locked on a "configuration change" screen. Even if she
    declined to activate, she would be booted to safe mode, and not blocked from
    the system. Configuration change on a black screen says that something in
    the system has changed, or is being interpreted as being changed. It may be
    something as simple as a CMOS battery failure where the BIOS no longer
    retains the settings and reverts to defaults whenever the system is powered
    off, this could be interpreted as a configuration change.

    --

    > My wife has no idea how to add software or hardware. I'm convinced it's a
    > product activation thing.
    >
    > The first time I redid everything after adding the HD (I was back in
    > Illinois the full week of memorial day) I decided to add MS Antispyware
    > later in the week (yes, she's running Antivirus & Firewall software).
    > I have arthritis in my lower back and right knee. I use a cane and they
    > want to do a knee replacement. I also use reading glasses. I was gradually
    > restoring all software and settings (look and feel) to make things easy
    > for her. When I went to the website it said I needed the product key from
    > either the install disk or from the label on the machine. Her machine is a
    > 933mhz emachine. The activation code was not on the install disk. It was
    > at night in a partially darkened room.
    > It was hard enough getting down, pulling all off all the cables on that
    > stupid machine and taking it to a table the first day I was there to
    > replace the HD. (Wife had to carry it. Back is so bad I couldn't. Plus
    > with use of cane I only have one hand to use. If it doesn't have a handle
    > and I can't get my left arm around it securely I can't carry it).
    > Anyway, I wasn't about to try and lower myself to the floor and try to
    > read some stupid product code in a darkened room so I just cancelled out
    > of the install. As I said I'm convinced it's a product key problem. If I
    > try to talk her through another re-install how do I tell her how to make
    > sure the product key is installed? I suppose I could try to talk her
    > through going to MS to get the antispyware. It asked for the product key.
    > (Wow, just the thought of directing her by phone on doing something like
    > that has divorce all over it).

    >> And you are sure she's not adding any software/hardware to the system? Is
    >> that all there is to the error message?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Boot up. All she gets is a dos type message.
    >>> Booting in safe mode doesn't help. Same message.
    >>> You know with the usual prompts for safe mode or normal boot.
    >>>
    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    Generally she never shuts the system off. Just lets it run.
    Typically she would come home and try to use the system and instead of
    windows she would get the dos type screen with the "configuration change"
    notification.

> [...]
    >> Anyway, I wasn't about to try and lower myself to the floor and try to
    >> read some stupid product code in a darkened room so I just cancelled out
    >> of the install. As I said I'm convinced it's a product key problem. If I
    >> try to talk her through another re-install how do I tell her how to make
    >> sure the product key is installed? I suppose I could try to talk her
    >> through going to MS to get the antispyware. It asked for the product key.
    >> (Wow, just the thought of directing her by phone on doing something like
    >> that has divorce all over it).
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> And you are sure she's not adding any software/hardware to the system?
    >>> Is that all there is to the error message?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

    Without knowing more, I cannot diagnose it further. I can only tell you what
    the symptoms would be if it were activation. In addition to what I've
    already stated, if it were an activation issue she would be continually
    reminded that it needed to be activated every time she logged on (nagging).
    What you are describing, at least in its briefest form, is not an activation
    issue.

    How does she clear the message? Does she reboot and it goes away?

    --

> [...]
    >>> It was hard enough getting down, pulling all off all the cables on that
    >>> stupid machine and taking it to a table the first day I was there to
    >>> replace the HD. (Wife had to carry it. Back is so bad I couldn't. Plus
    >>> with use of cane I only have one hand to use. If it doesn't have a
    >>> handle and I can't get my left arm around it securely I can't carry it).
    >>> Anyway, I wasn't about to try and lower myself to the floor and try to
    >>> read some stupid product code in a darkened room so I just cancelled out
    >>> of the install. As I said I'm convinced it's a product key problem. If I
    >>> try to talk her through another re-install how do I tell her how to make
    >>> sure the product key is installed? I suppose I could try to talk her
    >>> through going to MS to get the antispyware. It asked for the product
    >>> key. (Wow, just the thought of directing her by phone on doing something

    Well, I talked her through things last night. Took a good chunk of the
    evening. First things were not working and we hung up. Then she called back
    and said there are two CD's in here! Didn't realize that. She had put in CD
    2.
    (Rolling eyes). Well, she did the recovery. I had her load the
    firewall/antivirus software (also like pulling teeth), windows updates
    (getting low on teeth), entering her e-mail account (toothless).
    But I know it never asked for a product ID (I did have her get it off of the
    machine, it was in back) and when it asked her to register with MS &
    emachines the LAN link couldn't be found yet. I'm sure after a while the
    same thing will happen. You still haven't convinced my it's not a MS "big
    brother is watching" situation.

    > Without knowing more, I cannot diagnose it further. I can only tell you
    > what the symptoms would be if it were activation. In addition to what I've
    > already stated, if it were an activation issue she would be continually
    > reminded that it needed to be activated every time she logged on
    > (nagging). What you are describing, at least in its briefest form, is not
    > an activation issue.
    >
    > How does she clear the message? Does she reboot and it goes away?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Generally she never shuts the system off. Just lets it run.
    >> Typically she would come home and try to use the system and instead of
    >> windows she would get the dos type screen with the "configuration change"
    >> notification.
    >>

    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> If it was a "product activation thing", then the message would read that
    >>> the product needs to be activated or reactivated and she would be given
    >>> a prompt to follow through with the steps offering a choice of internet
    >>> activation or phone activation, not locked on a "configuration change"
    >>> screen. Even if she declined to activate, she would be booted to safe
    >>> mode, and not blocked from the system. Configuration change on a black
    >>> screen says that something in the system has changed, or is being
    >>> interpreted as being changed. It may be something as simple as a CMOS
    >>> battery failure where the BIOS no longer retains the settings and
    >>> reverts to defaults whenever the system is powered off, this could be
    >>> interpreted as a configuration change.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    Registration and activation are different things. The first is totally
    voluntary, the latter is mandatory. Have her do this: Click start/run and
    type:

    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

    If it is already activated or does not need to be activated, this will tell
    her.

    --

    mcl wrote:
    > BTW, my wife told me she wants a new computer (laptop) for Xmax/Chanukkah
    > (;-). I've already been doing a little looking around.
    ... for a computer, I hope, not 'wife.'

    Get her the new computer, with Windows XP Pro. You'll both be happier!

    Well, I'm at work now. I'll have her do that this evening. Last night I had
    her install the printer drivers (Epson 820). Teeth totally gone, ripping
    into the gums.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Registration and activation are different things. The first is totally
    > voluntary, the latter is mandatory. Have her do this: Click start/run and
    > type:
    >
    > %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A
    >
    > If it is already activated or does not need to be activated, this will
    tell
    > her.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Well, I talked her through things last night. Took a good chunk of the
    > > evening. First things were not working and we hung up. Then she called
    > > back and said there are two CD's in here! Didn't realize that. She had
    put
    > > in CD 2.
    > > (Rolling eyes). Well, she did the recovery. I had her load the
    > > firewall/antivirus software (also like pulling teeth), windows updates
    > > (getting low on teeth), entering her e-mail account (toothless).
    > > But I know it never asked for a product ID (I did have her get it off of
    > > the machine, it was in back) and when it asked her to register with MS &
    > > emachines the LAN link couldn't be found yet. I'm sure after a while the
    > > same thing will happen. You still haven't convinced my it's not a MS
    "big
    > > brother is watching" situation.
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Without knowing more, I cannot diagnose it further. I can only tell you
    > >> what the symptoms would be if it were activation. In addition to what
    > >> I've already stated, if it were an activation issue she would be
    > >> continually reminded that it needed to be activated every time she
    logged
    > >> on (nagging). What you are describing, at least in its briefest form,
    is
    > >> not an activation issue.
    > >>
    > >> How does she clear the message? Does she reboot and it goes away?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Firewall

    Well, it isn't activation.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Registration and activation are different things. The first is totally
    > voluntary, the latter is mandatory. Have her do this: Click start/run and
    > type:
    >
    > %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A
    >
    > If it is already activated or does not need to be activated, this will
    > tell her.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Well, I talked her through things last night. Took a good chunk of the
    >> evening. First things were not working and we hung up. Then she called
    >> back and said there are two CD's in here! Didn't realize that. She had
    >> put in CD 2.
    >> (Rolling eyes). Well, she did the recovery. I had her load the
    >> firewall/antivirus software (also like pulling teeth), windows updates
    >> (getting low on teeth), entering her e-mail account (toothless).
    >> But I know it never asked for a product ID (I did have her get it off of
    >> the machine, it was in back) and when it asked her to register with MS &
    >> emachines the LAN link couldn't be found yet. I'm sure after a while the
    >> same thing will happen. You still haven't convinced my it's not a MS "big
    >> brother is watching" situation.
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Without knowing more, I cannot diagnose it further. I can only tell you
    >>> what the symptoms would be if it were activation. In addition to what
    >>> I've already stated, if it were an activation issue she would be
    >>> continually reminded that it needed to be activated every time she
    >>> logged on (nagging). What you are describing, at least in its briefest
    >>> form, is not an activation issue.
    >>>
    >>> How does she clear the message? Does she reboot and it goes away?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    OK, I want to throw out a possibility here.
    So far it's working.
    Whenever it's crashed the BIOS seems fine. No indication of a battery
    problem and loosing settings.
    How about this. This is an emachine. When I was last home in late may and
    replaced the dead HD I also bought her a USB Hub.
    Of course it was 2.0 and powered (always do powered). Now her machine only
    has v1.1 ports. It gave me a warning but worked as it (on paper) is supposed
    to.
    But, I've heard there is a problem with some emachine USB ports.
    Now add to this some experience on my own machine with mixing USB 1.1 & 2.0.
    Up until ~ Feb I was using a Gateway 400MHZ P2 that I got in 1998. It was
    top of the line when I got it (14gb HD, DVD-ROM drive, 19" monitor, 128meg
    Ram)
    I pushed it as far as I could go; 384 meg RAM, kept upgrading HD's (needed a
    card to support larger drives) and had 120 & 80 gb (she got the 80 and I
    bought a 250gbwhen her drive died)
    Upgraded from Windows 98, to Me, to Xp, etc. Video card from 8 meg to ATI
    AIWR.
    Plus added CD-RW & even DVD Writers, USB 2.0 PCI Card, etc, etc.
    Finally I got in Feb a new bare bones system (Antec P160, 500W PS,
    PCI-Express MB, AMD 64 3500+, 2 GB RAM (on two DIMMS so I can easily push it
    to 4) , ATI PCI Express AIWR Video Card). Brought everything else over.
    It worked great.
    I also brought over an old USB 1.1 Hub I had with old system. Only had
    "slow" items plugged into it like old webcam, etc).
    Everything worked fine for a few weeks until it stopped booting. I unplugged
    everything and then started plugging things back in. It was the USB 1.1 Hub.
    Plugged in, system would not boot. Unplugged, no problem. There shouldn't
    have been a problem but there was. Made me think about that v2.0 USB hub
    plugged into the 1.1 port on that emachine. I mentioned it to my wife but I
    think when I talk about things like USB Hubs all she hears is "Blah, Blah,
    Blah".
    I left a message for my pain in the **** son to go over and pull that hub.
    Wouldn't hurt and might help.

    > Well, it isn't activation.

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Registration and activation are different things. The first is totally
    > > voluntary, the latter is mandatory. Have her do this: Click start/run
    and
    > > type:
    > >
    > > %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A
    > >
    > > If it is already activated or does not need to be activated, this will
    > > tell her.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Well, I talked her through things last night. Took a good chunk of the
    > >> evening. First things were not working and we hung up. Then she called
    > >> back and said there are two CD's in here! Didn't realize that. She had
    > >> put in CD 2.
    > >> (Rolling eyes). Well, she did the recovery. I had her load the
    > >> firewall/antivirus software (also like pulling teeth), windows updates
    > >> (getting low on teeth), entering her e-mail account (toothless).
    > >> But I know it never asked for a product ID (I did have her get it off
    of
    > >> the machine, it was in back) and when it asked her to register with MS
    &
    > >> emachines the LAN link couldn't be found yet. I'm sure after a while
    the
    > >> same thing will happen. You still haven't convinced my it's not a MS
    "big
    > >> brother is watching" situation.
    > >>
    > >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    It

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I think you may be on to something. Lots of emachines have been known to
    have hardware issues with their USB ports.

    --

    "mcl" <marc.levine_at_no_spam_afccc.af.mil_no_spam> wrote in message
> [...]
    > I left a message for my pain in the **** son to go over and pull that hub.
    > Wouldn't hurt and might help.
    >
    > "mcl" <levinemc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Well, it isn't activation.
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > Registration and activation are different things. The first is totally
    >> > voluntary, the latter is mandatory. Have her do this: Click start/run
    > and
    >> > type:
    >> >
    >> > %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A
    >> >
    >> > If it is already activated or does not need to be activated, this will
    >> > tell her.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Best of Luck,
    >> >
    >> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone

Configuration Windows XP