paranoidfox

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Recently, my hp d4100y stopped working for no apparent reason. I don't know the problem but I assume it's mobo because no beeps emanate when it's turned on. Fans and harddrives spin up but thats it. Nothing outgoing to monitor etc.

I'm going to try to replace mobo and see if that fixes the problem. This seems like a good deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186148

But will it run my Pentium D? I'm a student and I don't have much money, I just need a decent upgrade for now. May upgrade to a quad-core or c2d in future. Any suggestions?

I assume you already have a video card. You also need to list your pentium d specs. Use cpuid if possible, or check the cpu id number when you remove it. Some newer p45 boards won't work with older pentium 4's, due to the voltage specs. Once you determine which cpu you have, check the motherboard manufacturer's website under "cpu support" for the board, and see if your cpu is listed. If not, you can get a celeron 430 for around $30 shipped at starmicro or ewiz (also called superbiz), and use your old heatsink. I have a spare hp board that works with core2 duos. It's called "boston" with the Intel g31 chipset. It's not cheap; you can reply if interested. You will find the specs using yahoo.