Sign in with
Your question

E5200 only multiplying by 6?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2010 11:34:59 PM

I needed a cheapo solution for a budget gamer and was plannning o'clckng one of these Wolfdales. However, I was expecting a multiplier of 12 and it only came up 6.0 on CPU-Z. I can't see where I can change it on my BIOS (Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L). Please let me know or if it even matters. I read somewhere these chips are no longer the super value OC's they once were as the E5200 are the bottom of the barrel with an upgrade to the E5300 being a much better bet.

Thanks...

More about : e5200 multiplying

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2010 1:28:15 AM

God..... READ the dam Forum! This has been answered many times. And any decent OCing guide would have given you why this happens. It's due to SpeedStep.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 8, 2010 4:27:47 PM

pktaske said:
I read somewhere these chips are no longer the super value OC's they once were as the E5200 are the bottom of the barrel with an upgrade to the E5300 being a much better bet.

I haven't read that. Been my experience and many here who are running E5200's that the E5200's tend to OC better. Mine only runs at 3.78 GHz because I lost the CPU lottery and got a chip with a relatively high VID (1.2875 volts). That basically reduces my OC headroom.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2010 7:33:03 PM

pktaske said:
I needed a cheapo solution for a budget gamer and was plannning o'clckng one of these Wolfdales. However, I was expecting a multiplier of 12 and it only came up 6.0 on CPU-Z. I can't see where I can change it on my BIOS (Gigabyte G41MT-ES2L). Please let me know or if it even matters. I read somewhere these chips are no longer the super value OC's they once were as the E5200 are the bottom of the barrel with an upgrade to the E5300 being a much better bet.

Thanks...

it is because of speedstep.

basically your cpu runs at half when the computer doesn't need any power from your cpu, this is to save energy.

Run a game or any other application and you will see that the multiplier will jump to 12.5.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2010 7:51:03 PM

Shadow703793 said:
God..... READ the dam Forum! This has been answered many times. And any decent OCing guide would have given you why this happens. It's due to SpeedStep.

+1, read the forums
m
l
!