A few questions related to my upcoming build

blacksails

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
Hi all. I'm looking to build a new PC to replace my 5000+ BE/8800GT machine. I can mostly pick all of my own parts and such but I need to clear up a few particulars before I pull the trigger on this.

First of all, I've been a lifelong AMD supporter starting with the K6. Lately, I've become more familiar with Intel platforms but I'm still in need of some clarification.

This build is for gaming primarily. I need to be able to play all but the most resource intensive games like Crysis at 1680 x 1050 with high settings. I'd also like to be able to run a web browser and maybe a messenger client on a second screen while playing.

I decided on this P45 motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344

Seems like a good bang for the buck. The memory standard is listed as DDR2 1200. Newegg doesn't carry any ram that's rated as such. What speed would be recommended. I do plan on overclocking.

I'm having trouble deciding between the Q9550 and the E8500. Would an E8500 @ 3.4 - 3.6GHz allow for the kind of gaming multi-tasking that I want or would I be better off spending the extra money for the quad-core?

As I mentioned, I already own a 8800GT 512 which, I think, should hold me over until the next round of updates from NV/ATi.

I also plan on using my PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 in my new build. It's been running strong for almost a year now and I'm sure it will last for several years to come.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

- Brian

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Honestly, you'd be better off overclocking the 5000+ BE and waiting until Nehalem/Deneb and see what kind of performance they bring to the table, because I don't think the performance increase will warrant the cost. You should be able to get that CPU to 3.2Ghz with proper cooling.

At the level of the E8500 or Q9550, the vga card is much more important for gaming than the cpu.
At that level, overclocking is good for bragging, but it will not net you as much increase
in FPS as a better vga card will. Today, very few games can make use of more than two cores.
Flight simulator X and supreme commander are exceptions. It is not a trivial matter to code multi threaded programs,
and game vendors will not sell too many games that require quads to run.
I don't see this changing in the next couple of years.

Net: E8500 for the increased clock speed.

As to ram, the core 2 cpu's are not very sensitive to ram speeds. In gaming performance, I would not expect more than a 1-2% difference in FPS between the slowest and fastest ram. DDR2-800 (get 4gb) should be all that you need. If you want record overclocks, then get something much faster.

blacksails

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007

I wouldn't have bought the BE if I hadn't intended to OC. Mine is only stable up to 3.1 Ghz. Even with that kind of clock, you've got a 5 Mb deficit when it comes to L2 when compared to the 8500. It's considerably slower than the 8500 clock for clock and runs hotter.

I've considered waiting for Core i7 but I'm on a budget. The processor will be a bump in price, the motherboard will be expensive, and I'll have to pay a premium for DDR3. I'd rather pull the trigger on that in Q1 2010 when the platform is mature and the prices have dropped. I may wait until November to buy everything to see what effect Core i7 has on the prices of existing products.

Until AMD gets their act together, you wont catch me postponing my buying cycle to wait for their releases.

I'd like to ask for a bit of clarification, geo.

You say E8500 for the increased clock speed since that will help more in games than more cores will. Would the extra cores give me a noticeable improvement when running other apps on a second monitor while gaming? That's the only reason I'm considering the quad core. My PC will be doing other things while I game.

Thank for the help so far, guys.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
IF you're planning to OC your new intel CPU, then get the E5200 ($85) and a GA-EP45-DS3L board ($100). The E5200 is a 45nm CPU that runs on 800FSB with a 12.5x multiplier, so basically if you run at 333FSB the CPU will be clocked at 4.16Ghz... Pretty easy (and cheap) to overclock if you ask me.

If you will be running other cpu intensive things while gaming, then a quad would be better.
You also will want at least 4gb, and perhaps even 6 or 8gb to keep the two tasks from interfering with each other.

I think the i7 will cause a reduction in prices of quads over $300, since they will not be able to compete. Lower cost parts should not be affected much. If you wait to 1Q 2010, the cycle will repeat, because you will be looking at 32nm parts. If you are considering a Q9550, it will cost about the same as the i7 2.66, and not be as good. X58 mobo's will probably be a bit higher, but not more than current high end offerings. DDR3 is coming down, and will be more affordable in November. Waiting to see is probably a good idea for you.