Obsolete CPUs still full price?

saintjah

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Is there something I dont know, but I dont understand why on most retail sites and ebay, people are paying retail and more for the obsolete quadcore processors opposed to the new i7 series, why is this?

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
"Obsolete..."? Maybe it's the MILLIONS of motherboards with 755 CPU standards, and current chipsets... Give it two years, then you can pull "obsolete" out of your back pocket...

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Which quad core is obsolete?
The Q6600 is the oldest quad core I can think of, and it's far from it's original $500+ launch price.

I would agree with customisbetter, if you were talking about full priced Pentium 4 Extreme Editions, but you mentioned quad cores, and I can't help buy wonder which quad core you are talking about.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008

Heya,

Old tech goes up in price as demand drops and supply drops, but some is kept in the pool because a lot of businesses still use them and will not do a massive corporate upgrade every other year, the way a consumer can/will. So the prices reflect that. Old xeon processors will still cost you more than a new i7core in some situations simply because of the entire system needing very specific dated parts that are not being mass produced anymore. It'll cost you to get a manufacturer to change blueprints from their mass machines to push out a few hundred of what you need--if they're not already in stock some where on the planet, sitting in some warehouse, waiting to be purchased at a premium price do to limited availability.

It's not so much `what you don't know' but rather `what you're not thinking about.'

High Price: Oldest tech and latest Gen tech.
Medium/Low Price: Yesteryear Tech that is considered `standard'.

Quadcores still have not even gained `standard' yet. They're still next gen compared to a dualcore. The dualcore is standard right now.

You clearly are limiting your view to what's on the front page of a website, like this one, rather than considering and including what the market out there is actually doing and using. Quadcore is the least used CPU in circulation my friend. Obsolete? Yea, you need to rethink things, big time.

Very best,

saintjah

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Ahh, im not the most educated with some of this, i just try to read up on posts and reviews, it seems that the i7 are better, and some even cheaper? But I cant disagree with the demand factor... So I can get a Quad 2 extreme for 600, should I take it up and not even bother with i7 for the time being? I have a C2D OC'd to 3.8 and made a 3dmark06 score of 18000, so should I just keep my current config and call it a day?

saintjah

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Youre right Malveaux, im not yet experienced enough to make these judgements it seems, front page and some reviews i find here and what are all I have to go by.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Keep your current config, unless you just want to own an Extreme chip.

Upgrading your GPU would be a much better investment, than the CPU, especially if you have your C2D OC'd to 3.8 already.

Save your $$$ for a Core i7 or even Phenom II (AM3) upgrade later.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The CPU prices are the same, but not the MB or RAM. For similar builds, the i7 still ends-up costing 150-250$ more (which is often 10-25% more depending on the base budget) and it might not be yield a performance increase equal in magnitude.

Zenthar

Distinguished
I think the Prescott is more of a "forgotten in the product database" case. Nobody in their right mind would pay that price for an obsolete CPU when they can get a whole new system for less :p.

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
i remember a couple of years back someone asked me to find them some old EDO RAM. Prices i found for it could have built a new if somewhat cheap PC for the price of like 8 meg of the stuff.
But small businesses with propritory software who are unwilling to buy new systems/new software and learn the new skills will pay the price. For them it's a nobrainer.
It's sometimes a good idea to keep the odd stick of RAM that old motherboard/cpu laying about.
It's already getting that some people will pay £50 for a floppy drive