D 820 vs E2200

G

Hey, I have a problem with my current Pentium D 820 (Dual core) and it won't work with my new motherboard.

Basically, I was wondering if the E2200 would be a good choice or not? I have no idea how processors really work, but according to the figures, the 820 would seem to be better?

Pentium D 820 (Dual core), 2.8ghz freq, 2MB cache, 90nm process, 800mhz FSB.

Pentium Dual Core E2200, 2.2ghz freq, 1MB cache, 65nm process, 800mhz FSB.

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I need a new processor and don't really want to buy something worse just because of compatibility problems.

Thanks.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
e2200 rules over D 820. e2200 would be like a 4.2GHz Pentium D. The new Core 2 Duo architecture that the e2200 is built on is vastly superior to the Netburst architecture of the Pentium D. Plus, it consumes half the power of the D 820 and runs cooler to boot. The closest new dual core Intel you can get today that would have the same performance as your old Pentium D 820 would be a Celeron E1200, and even then, the Celeron E1200 is still a little quicker the D 820.

G

Oh...

Thanks for the insanely quick reply.

I thought I was going to need an E7300 or something >_<

Thank you very much!

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Why wouldn't the PD 820 work with your motherboard? Usually, newer boards are backward compatible with older tech. It doesn't always work the other way around. You might want to make sure that any Core 2 CPU will be compatible with your motherboard.

G

Well, it appears anything less than the Pentium Dual C series don't work on the board...

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2847

This is the board I have, and if you scroll down, it will list what CPUs are compatible.

I bought this board without doing thorough research I admit, but I thought it would work because I mistook the "dual core" for "Penitum D dual core". Also, my old mobo died on me, and I had no way of CPU-Z-ing my old processor to find it's spec unfortunately.

G

It is on the list but if you look closely you can see that on the right hand side, it says N/A. Just like all the other processors pre Dual Core series.

And the legend says N/A = Not supported.

I've already plugged it in to my motherboard anyway when I didn't know about this. And it went in to a continuous reboot cycle and never posted. So either way, I'm going to have to get rid of the 820.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
The E2200 would be a large step up, but for a little more money you can pick up a E5200, which has a larger cache and a higher multiplier (if you overclock) or a higher speed (if you don't). Also, it's built on 45nm which means it runs cooler.

For under $15 extra on newegg, it's worth it if your budget can stretch.

G

Actually joefriday, to be honest, I had no problem with my old processor! I had it since... June 06 where it came from a Dell 5150, I then built my own computer using the same CPU a year later and it's lasted till now. Still works in fact, it's just I shot myself in the foot by buying an incompatible mobo.

Currently using my friends Q6600 which helped me determine the problem!

curnel_d and einstein4pres, I could stretch much beyond the price I am paying for the E2200, but I don't overclock and my system isn't a particularly serious one so I don't think it's completely necessary to go above an E2200. Actually I've found an E2220 OEM for the same price as a standard E2200. But the E5200 you mentioned isn't much more expensive...

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Getting a newer CPU will save quite a bit of electricity over the 820 and will run cooler and quieter. Just FYI OEM won't come with a CPU cooler, and the E2220 won't be much faster than an E2200. The E5200 is a reasonably large step up though.

-mcg

G

I'm thinking of getting the E5200 now... It's only £7 more expensive which is practically nothing.

Also I understand the OEM is just the CPU, I already have a behemoth of a heatsink fan combo so I'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice you lot

TRENDING THREADS