[AMD] help overclocking newb

th3proph3t

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
So I have had my pc for about 2 years now and I am looking to begin learning overclocking. If someone can give me some links that are more newb friendly to help get a basis of knowledge down, and from there I can get a general idea it would be much appriciated.
My system is as follows
Asus m2n32 sli deluxe
Amdx4 phenom 9600 be
4x ocz 1 gig 800 mhz don't know timming or how to find out?
2x 8800gt evga 512's
Artic64 freezer I belive I put on cpu
Pc power n cooling 750w
250 seagatehdd
250 wd hdd
1 tb seagate hd

Os is windows 7 32 kept having errors trying to install 64bit... I have a copy of winxp home 32 if that may be for friendly for ocing?

Any help is much appriciated

i am looknig to maybe buy a new mobo and cpu debating if so prolly new ram as well eventually i wanna have all amd ati so what would be good recomendations if this system doesnt have much room for improvement. and the cpu would it be better to step back to a x2 6000 and oc that i will prolly sell the old system if i tend to get a new one ? plz help much newbness

It's a black edition, which means the multiplier is unlocked. All you have to do is raise the multiplier. In a perfect world and with a good overclocking processor, the Black Editions are the best processors for potential overclocks. But not all processors are created equal, and the 9600s just don't have a great track record. It can be tough to get these things running stable with even a mild overclock.

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
@Th3Proph3t,
Here is a guide to overclocking...It's has a nice depth to it, it can take a while to read it all and digest the information...but its worth it...
Don't worry now, this is not the most in depth guide I've ever seen, it's pretty nice...In fact it helped my friend when he was starting out...
And you know whats cool? It's on this very site! Lol... :p
Anyway, here it is: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-guide,15.html
Enjoy, I hope this helps...

th3proph3t

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007

well i was more looknig for a comparison as in how the two match up to each other and what weighs what over what

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Well, one of the big differences is that the M4A79T Deluxe has 4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots allowing you to crossfire four cards...the Crosshair III Formula doesn't which is not necessarily a good thing but that is something that wouldn't matter to me...the Crosshair, I think, has a better sound card than the deluxe...and a few different features...
Actually there is not much difference between the boards, they have the same nb and sb chipsets and the same Hyper Transport...I don't know about the actual performance difference or the overclocking difference...but they are almost exactly the same other than the x16 and pci slots...

The Crosshair is better in every way, tons of overclocking features, the NB stays cold even at extreme overclocks. Comes with an audio card and a LCD poster for accurate readings. Too many pros to list... The Deluxe is overpriced in my opinion....Not a bad board, just to expensive for what you get.

Just so you get an idea of the overall temps on the Crosshair :

]
newidle.jpg

In summary, the Crosshair is the best AM3 board you can get. If you are going to use more than 2 GPU's then look elsewhere ;)

The Crosshair also has :

MemOK!
CPU Level Up
iROG <--Kickass Feature!!!!

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Nice!
I like how the guy with the worse computer had all these fans blowing on his computer...
Pretty funny video...
Does step up really work so well? do you use it?
Seems like a very nice motherboard, I knew that the Crosshair was a very good motherboard but I didn't know how good...

I don't use CPU Level-Up. Id rather manually adjust the settings in the bios. I do use i-rog, extreme-tweaker, PFTM and a few other apps but it takes time to get used to all the features. Here is a page with most of the bells and whistles :

http://rog.asus.com/product.aspx?pCode=200910089E2ED087897F4DFB9C0BC

The good thing about CPU Level-Up is that you can do it from windows w/o having to go into the bios(if you need to pwn the enemy ATM!!!). Just like that video... Hehe, that dude got PWNED!!!

Another sweet addition is that you have like 10 OC'ing profiles, so all you do is set it and forget it ;) . You can switch to any profile when needed w/o having to key in all the settings.

It also has a voltimeter, if anything get's to toasty a red light goes off as a warning and it lowers the volts instantly to protect the hardware. I learn something new everyday with this board... I just love the fact that I got it for 189.99 + 9.99$ shipping about 3 weeks ago from the Egg (special :D )

Here is a pic with pc-probe enabled (all temps and volts on one bar) and turbo-V (another awesome app) :

pcprobe_turbo_v.jpg

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Yeah! he did get pwned!
It would be Pretty embarrassing to be in his position...
just to be safe, I pledge to keep my computer up to par with time...lol
So it's sorta like overdrive? or does it changes the bios settings through windows?

Yea sorta like overdrive but better IMO. AOD is kinda sketchy...some love it, some hate it....

It does not change any bios settings, it just runs at whatever clocks you set it to and when you reboot it goes back to whatever settings it had before the tweak.