Overclocking my AMD 4000+ How do I find RAM Timings

carnevil

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
My title pretty much explains it. I have an AMD AM2 4000+ X2 @ 2.0 GHZ. I have never overclocked a CPU before but I am reading in depth many posts and first time user guides. One question is: How do I find my memory timings so I don't mess up my o'c? and; How exactly do I get into the BIOS screen that displays all of these frequency's and multipliers I have to change?

yarbrough2

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
OK, since that guy didn't reply I'll give you my specs. I too have an AMD 64 4000+ (single core 2.4ghz san diego core) and a gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 mobo. I've tried over clocking in the past and froze my box. I had to reset the bios to defaults to get it back up. I'm guessing my problem was memory timings, but I don't have the knowledge to set the timings witout assistance. I currently have 4 1GB sticks of GSkill RAM on my mobo. Following is the timing according to CPU-z:

frequency 161.0mhz
fsb dram CPU/15
CAS 2.5
RAS to CAS 3
RAS 3
Cycle times 5
Bank Cycle Times 10
Comand Rate 2T
DRAM Idle Timer 16

Please help if you can. Thanks.

yarbrough2

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

OK, since that guy didn't reply I'll give you my specs. I too have an AMD 64 4000+ (single core 2.4ghz san diego core) and a gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 mobo. I've tried over clocking in the past and froze my box. I had to reset the bios to defaults to get it back up. I'm guessing my problem was memory timings, but I don't have the knowledge to set the timings witout assistance. I currently have 4 1GB sticks of GSkill RAM on my mobo. Following is the timing according to CPU-z:

frequency 161.0mhz
fsb dram CPU/15
CAS 2.5
RAS to CAS 3
RAS 3
Cycle times 5
Bank Cycle Times 10
Comand Rate 2T
DRAM Idle Timer 16

Please help if you can. Thanks.

First thing you have to do is go into the Bios, then you have to look for your RAM timings, here is a guide :

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26

once you have that set, run an instance of prime 95 for at least a few hours.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Prime95.shtml

Leave prime running for at least a few hours, let me know how that goes and we can start overclocking ;)