XP Client keeps reinstalling a shared printer driver

Last response: in Windows XP
March 4, 2011 2:14:46 PM

Hi,
I have three Win XP Professional PC's in an office:
1 laptop (no printers attached)
1 PC with a HP CP2025 printer attached & shared
1 PC with a HP P2055DN printer attached & shared
The laptop is mapped to both printers and has the exact same driver as the host machine for each of the respective printers....
HOWEVER - the laptop continues to reinstall the driver for each printer, even though it is already resident.
This causes a significant pause in printing and seems to do weird things like refuse to print until another computer prints to the selected printer...
Any ideas where else to look, or experienced this and found a resolution?
Thanks,
Matt
March 6, 2011 11:01:30 PM

When you try to print do you select the appropriate printer from the list? (Printer name).
m
l
March 7, 2011 1:46:12 PM

mosox said:
When you try to print do you select the appropriate printer from the list? (Printer name).

Absolutely. This particular machine has the drivers installed locally, yet it pauses to re-install the same drivers each time it prints to these printers.

Totally puzzled....

Thanks,
Matt
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2011 3:24:35 PM

Try this

Start/Run
type: gpedit.msc/OK

Left pane: Computer configuration/Windows settings/security settings/Local Policies/security options

Make the window full screen, change the view to list from the top and in the right pane look for

"Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers".

Right click on that/Properties/enabled.

m
l
March 7, 2011 3:35:18 PM

mosox said:
Try this

Start/Run
type: gpedit.msc/OK

Left pane: Computer configuration/Windows settings/security settings/Local Policies/security options

Make the window full screen, change the view to list from the top and in the right pane look for

"Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers".

Right click on that/Properties/enabled.

Hi,
I see where you're going, but since the user is also the admin on that machine, I don't think this is a viable solution. Further, I believe that it's re-installing the drivers as the System.
Good idea, and worth a try anyway.
Thanks,
Matt
m
l
!