High temp for i7 Running @ Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Hi, I just built a new i7 rig and the in the bios the temp for the CPU is 36 @ Stock. I have a TRUE on it and I think this is a little high. I realize the i7's run a little hotter, I read the review where the 920 was running at 41 @ idle, but that was with Stock HSF, I thought a TRUE would do better than -5 celsius, especially with all the fans in the 1200. What is a normal range. Thanks.

i7 920
TRUE 120
Asus P6T Deluxe
6GB Corsair Dominator PC12800
eVGA GTX 260+
Antec 1200
WD Velociraptor 300

Thanks.

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Here are my readings from speedfan"

CPU - 32
Cores Range from 17-20.

I am running Speedfan 4.37, I thought they fixed the bug in 4.34 for the 15c variances. Maybe they didnt on the i7? I assuming the Cores are 32-35 and the CPU is correct @32.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
ok it is high if is stock - mine is the same temp at 4ghz

how to install a true:

i have posted this for over year

1) use double the amount of TC and spead it thin - across the entire cpu - use artic silve you want the flow and low viscosity

if in doubt remove the heat sink and see if contact the entire hs then scape it off and spead it

2) put more in the center of the cpu and spread the size of a penny so you have a small mound on top the already completely covered cpu

the true is dished and it is common for only part of the hs to contact the cpu and still get decent readys. the hs is so good only 1/3 needs to contact to cpu but you will get higher temps

my temps in bios with your mobo is 35c give or take 2c with the abient temp

stock cooler is 45c and ramps to 55c over 24 hours

niku

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
1. Core i7 920 @ Stock HSF is 35C at 23C room temperature. Temperature is steady

Case: Coolermaster HAF 932 with preinstalled fans
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

2. Core i7 965@ Stock HSF is 35C at 25C room temperature but the individual core temperatures raises up to 47C without doing much. I did some video rendering using adobe premiere pro cs4 which makes good use of the processor while HWMonitor (used to measure temperature) was running parallely, the highest temperature went up to 67C not on the processor but on the individual cores and so the average cpu temperature would have been lot higher.

Case: CoolerMaster Stacker 832 with 3 intake running@1500 rpm approximately outputting 40-50CFM each with 3 exhaust. 1 on the side fan tray at the top close the front door as the intel stock HSF pushes air inside the cpu, should not place an exhaust fan in line to the HSF, 1 on the back and 1 on the top.
Motherboard: Same as above

3. Core i7 965@ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT @ 25C average room temperature. The BIOS temperature is around 25C for the processor with the coolermaster stacker 832 with a different fan arrangement as follows:

--> Side fan tray removed completely
-->Fixed a intake fan (akasa @ 1500 rpm blowing 50 cfm approx.) at the bottom front where the air mesh is. Remove 2 screws from the bottom mesh from the sides towards the centre, drill through the mesh in the front to match the holes below to accomodate a bottom intake fan. This fan blows air directly into my ATI Radeon 3970X2, which cools it down to 46C as idle temperature.

--> Clear up the front 5.25 bays, 4th,5th and 6th from the top, use the air mesh and one of the fan frame from the side fan tray and fix a intake fan (mine is sanyo denkin @ 1500rpm avg. This blows air directly towards the fan intake of thermalright ultra 120 extreme. My thermalright ultra 120 extreme has only one fan and there is no fan on the side facing the exhaust fan (thermalright 120mm fan @ 2000 rpm).

Results:

HWMonitor - all the cores temperatures are between 30-40C while just surfing the internet
EVEREST Ultimate - CPU temp. is 48 while the individual cores are showing between 30-40C
Gigabyte Easy Tune 6 shows CPU is 28C while the system is 30C

It is lot cooler than the stock HSF and with 2 less no. of fans.

It may be bit high but remember it also depends on your room temperature and the amount of fans in the case. Too many fans blowing air in that the out fans can also cause heat build up. Also, improper heat sink installation, too much or too less thermal paste can also cause problem.

I remember while installing the core i7 920 stock HSF, I ended up breaking the plastic push clips, it didn't lock in properly and the temperature was going up by 1degree every 2 seconds in BIOS.

Check the back of the motherboard, see if you can see the black tips of the push pins of Heat sink. If so, then your room temperature is high or too many or too less fans or too much or too less thermal paste.

5imian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I am also experiencing very high temperatures for the i7 with the stock fan and thermal grease.

The manual states that 38 degrees C is considered the MAXIMUM.

So anyways. I have the EVGA x58 with an antec 1200 case. PLENTY of air circulation.

In bio I am reading:

CPU:38-39 C

NB: 49 C

Vreg 54C

Ambient Temp: 25 -26 C (barely above room temperature IN the case!)

The guy at EVGA sait with an aftermarket fan and artic silver the temp dropped to in the 20s. I can only conclude that this is simply necessary. The stock fans and heatsink (and thermal grease) in the i7 that Intel provides are simply crap.

and YES its all properly mounted. This isn't my first rig :p

EDIT: in the manual that 38degrees was the AMBIENT temperature. I reread it this morning. I'm an idiot disreagrd this greviance

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Run CoreTemp to read the actual die sensors. If they're reporting under 50C at idle and under 80C at load, you're in no danger. You probably won't even approach these readings without some 100-degree summer air.

The BIOS CPU temp readings are inaccurate, so I don't really have any expectations for what a TRUE 120 would do to them. If CoreTemp reports close to 50C idle now on the TRUE with 25 ambient, then I would suggest re-applying the AS5/MX and reseating it. Remember to coat both the CPU side and the heatsink side with thin layers of that stuff. Apply a little more if you can't completely finish the surfaces.

5imian

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Wow, im sorry I'm an idiot. That was the ambient temperature listed in the manual, not the core temp

Just completely disregard that previous post. Mods feel free to delete it

r_manic

Administrator

So basically, you're saying that normal temps for the i7 are below 50 on idle and below 80 under load? Just being clear here. :)

Run OCCT 3.0.1 and tell me what the temps are. I idle around 53-58C depending on which core you are looking at and 85-91C max during a 1 hr OCCT HT on test.

I never go by the BIOS temp anyways.

bravo659

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Hi dave,
The cpu average temperature is about 30C and ranges between 30-55c depending on the use of the computer.
It can be hotter if you're playing games.
Right now as i am writing to you my temperature reads 88 degrees that is 31c and the MB at 83 degrees thats about 30c.
If you like the cpu to be cooler then add some fans to the case and get yourself a better cooler with hs. There are liquid coolers running at $100 and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.