just got my 9800GTX and clocks are unusual should i worry?

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
hey all, i ordered a recertified (not used, just means a lesser warranty) 9800GTX from newegg because it only cost me $5 (sold old gpu on ebay for $125,GTX was only $129.99) and after i installed it i opened gpu-z and looked at the clock speeds. now a normal 9800GTX clock speeds are 675/1100/1688 stock. my "stock" 9800GTX clocks were at 770/1150/1944. they were set at that right out of the box literally. those clock speeds were higher than a GTX+. then i thought maybe they gave me a GTX+ by accident (better for me,lol) but there is no "+" on the card so it is a normal 9800GTX but why such high clocks? i down clocked to match the GTX+ clocks and thats where they will stay but again why such high clocks? i just looked on evga at their 9800GTX cards and these clocks even (just by a little) surpassed a 9800GTX+ superclocked card.

also in gpu-z it says the default clocks are 770/1150/1944? i dont get that either. did i get a bad card? or is this normal/ok? it runs fine and cool but those clocks are bothering me.

Well XFX do a black edition thats clocked at 760 and there is a BFG that is watercooled but runs clocks higher than yours. My guess would be, and it is only a guess that who ever had it before either Flashed a faster Bios on to it or the card has been repackaged wronglt and you made out of the deal. All you can do your end is keep an eye on the temps and give it a good run on one of the many apps designed to find atrefacts. If it passes then all well and good. The 9800GTX+ clocks are close enough to think that may be the card you got 778/2246(1123) which is near enough as it wont always report it spot on. As i said i wouldnt worry as long as the temps are ok and it passes an artifacts test.

Mactronix

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
ok thanks, the temps are great actually. its not a used card its brand new it just doesnt have a lifetime warranty. i think evga put the wrong cooler on the wrong card and i got a gtx+ even tho the cooler only shows 9800gtx. great for me, i did lower the clocks to the gtx+ clocks to be safe which is what i was going to do with a normal gtx. overclock it to match but i turned out under clocking it lol. gpu-z in the card name area shows it as a nvidia geforce 9800gtx/gtx+. not a 9800gtx or a 9800gtx+ but a 9800gtx/gtx+. i find that interesting also.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I have the eVGA 9800GTX and it runs at about 825 core on water before it starts to get funny. I will agree with mactronix; you might have got a reflashed card or a wrongly binned clock upgrade model. Most companies do that now...charge you $30 a step up for 20mhz or so of overclocking...another 20mhz...another $30...as long as your temps stay stable and you don't artifact at your 'stock' speeds, don't be too worried.

I'd be curious to see how your benchmark with that card at its 'default' 770 clock speeds. Watch temps of course, but I'd be curious to see how it benchmarks in 3dMark or games compared to normal 9800GTX models. Would be interesting to see if you somehow got a 9800GTX+ model by mistake. :) For $129 it would be a freaking steal...

xxcoop42xx

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

i know that would rock, but i down clocked it to a GTX+ speed. ill try putting back to the 'default' settings and look at temps and artifacting. thanks guys for your help