Computer Case Vacuum?

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Would it be a good idea to turn my case into a vacuum by having all of my case fans exhaust? Granted, there would still be plenty of air in there, but if its constantly removing the air and the heat from the case, wouldn't it cool alot better? Less air = less heat.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
:lol: i take it you read that techreport article.. the thing is, if there's no air inside the case, then theres nothing for the graphics card fan to suck in, nothing for any of hte fans to do, if you get my meaning. Air is meant to conduct the air and dissipate it. if there's less air in the case (no air would make it die within seconds i think, but no air would be fairly hard to achieve), then your temps will suffer. Better to have 2xintake and 3xexhaust. eg, two 120mm fans at the front, a PSU exhaust, a graphics card small exhaust, and a rear exhaust fan/rear exhaust fan+1 or 2 top fans.

your system must have air to move the heat around..

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Assuming you have a grill on the front of your case then I would bet the pressure gradient would be negligible. I would have at least one intake though. You really want to match the intake and exhaust as close as possible, but it's not that big of a deal. Just my opinion.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Every data center manager just had a heart attack... 4psi ppv is considered the norm.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well imo, try and match the intake CFM with the exhaust CFM, then add another. this can be quite simple, ie: two intake, two exhaust, then the small psu and graphics exhaust create just enough negative pressure.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Sorry for any health problems I might have caused any data center managers, sounds like they might be a little high strung.

Actually heat transfer can be increased by raising the pressure of the air in the case .
Yes it has to be exhausted to carry the heat a way , but if you can raise the pressure slightly by pumping in then you have probably got better cooling

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well think about it... if you had no intakes and just pure exhaust, obviously the hard drives for one aren't going to run as cool. even with the "vacuum" effect of sucking air through, that's nowhere near the amount of air that a fan would PUSH over the harddrives. better to have a closely balanced cfm, with exhaust slightly tipping the scales in order to eliminate so called "dead spots" of hot air.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I said that in a desktop with a front grill that I didn't believe there would be that great of a pressure gradient. I also said that you should match intake and exhaust. I am not espousing using only exhaust fans. I am also a firm believer in a little extra airflow over the HDs, although the Google data actually mitigates that understanding. IMO any pressurizing of the intake of a desktop is undercut by the reduced flow of not having the exhaust match it. At any rate with any decent cooling we are probably only talking about a couple of degrees either way. I personally feel it is somewhat of a non issue. This argument is as old as the hills and I haven't seen any tests that I consider to be definitive, for one reason or another.

I also said it was just my opinion.

If the flow is good, then let it eat.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
hey man i wasnt attacking your comment sheesh...

im not saying airflow over hdd's is a must, i have had 5 computers without front fans blowing over the hdd's, and they all work fine to this day. most of them were not performance gaming computers i must admit... but seriously, how can 40 C on a hdd be bad for it? it doesn't really matter what temp it is so long as the temp is Consistent. ie, not fluctuating wildly. im assuming this is because the metals in the hdd retract and expand over and over when the temp changes, which clearly would not be good for it

end of rant. :lol:

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You might be a bit nervous as well, if your job hinged on $200M worth of servers running 24 x 7 x 365...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Anandtech did a follow-up video showing airflow. (OK, Silverstone did the video, Chris just posted it.)

No that would not be a good idea, its not called air cooling for nothing, you need air flow through the case to bring in fresh air and exhaust the heated air, the air is removing the heat transfered to it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The large 180mm fan directly above the CPU definitely helps here, but the graphics cards seem to struggle a bit more since they don't have any direct airflow. Silverstone intends for the front fan to cool down the graphics cards as well, but the hard drive cage and cables that run through the area make it difficult for this to work in practice. The result is that the cards need to be cooled with leftovers from the top fan, and this may not be sufficient for a top-end system running at full load.

That may explain why reversing the direction of the top fan hurt temperatures so much; as it stands, it seems like very little of the airflow from the front fan reaches the main body, so the top fan really needs to be an intake fan in order to provide fresh air for the CPU and graphics cards.
Looks more like a flow problem, due to the design, than a pressure problem. Like I said I'm still for matching in and out relatively closely. I guess the best setup is somewhat dependent on case design.

Again, just my opinion.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Sorry, my power went out.

Regardless, I'm getting answers going each way.... none definitive. I'm thinking of getting some Scythe "Slipstream" 120MM fans that move >110 CFM, and then testing it out myself.

kenzz0

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
LOL, you managed to get a lot of people into this JOKE TOPIC :) Vacuum case? Is your case sealed ? :) Have you ever heard of cooling without moving the cooling agent ( air, water, CFC, etc etc )? COOLING = Transfering heat from a medium to another medium using a cooling agent. Eg: CPU transfers heat to the heatsink - contact pressure and thermalpaste to improve this. Heatsink will transfer the heat to the atmosphere by itself IF the air is moving around - therefore humans invented fans, to improve air circulation around the heatsink. If you have a fan extracting from a " vacuum " what do you expect to cool down your heatsink ? I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU GO BACK TO SCHOOL OR GOOGLE THE DEFINITION OF THE VACUUM, COOLING, HEAT TRANSFER, COMPUTER CASES, ETC.... :) again LOL @ topic and the debate

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

@ kenzz0 Did you read anything? Moron. Don't post if you don't want to help; simple as that. Saying "vacuum" got my point across, and I've already stated that it wouldn't technically be a vacuum. Have you ever used a vacuum cleaner? They're not vacuums, now are they? They just literally suck, which is exactly what I'm trying to achieve with my case.

It would be entirely possible to seal my case. Although that would defeat the point. Obviously if there was no air in the case, there would be no airflow, and therefore nothing to transfer the heat. However if there was less airflow, and all fans exhausting, the theory behind it is that all the heated air would be constantly pumped out.

Like the world needs more trolls such as yourself.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Oh, and just to prove my point, i did go onto dictionary.com and look up the definition, and just like I thought, a vacuum doesn't necessarily mean its completely empty or air/matter/whatever, it just means it has negative pressure compared to outside the vacuum.

adjective
8. (of a hollow container) partly exhausted of gas or air.
noun
2. an enclosed space from which matter, esp. air, has been partially removed so that the matter or gas remaining in the space exerts less pressure than the atmosphere (opposed to plenum ).

kenzz0

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I was sure you will go OFF and RUDE , that usually happen with people when you tell them they are NON TECHNICAL and of course they dont want to accept :) My advice is staill valid...Google those definitions and you'll find the answer, it will save you a bit of time from doing what you trying to do. And yes, I read EVERYTHING including ALL coments, I was just refering AT THE TITLE OF THE POST when I asked that question...of course was a joke attempt ...but yeah...moron, troll....yeah...no comment really :)

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

that made no sense whatsoever