Cooling my rig with desk fan

arialph

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hi, instead of chassis fan, i'll be using a real fan! a desk fan...
Would it work if I take off the side cover in my rig and use a desk fan blowing to it? (electric fan) Will it be a good thing? cause i'm thinking it's quite similar to a 200mm side-fan blowing into the computer.

If your temperatures drop, it means that you have inadequate airflow through your case.

BTW, your sig indicates that your memory overclock is drastically limiting your CPU overclock. You should be able to reach at least 3.3 GHz with even a medium quality CPU cooler.

Check this out.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

arialph

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
oh damn sory, i forgot to say that i changed my cooler to a CM Hyper 212 Plus. thus I can't close the side-case of my computer. Also yes, my RAM is limiting my CPU overclock. I'm getting a pair of 2gb OCZ Titanium Edition this sunday. :D

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I don't use my side panel and leave it out completely because I live in cool weather and the cool room air keeps my temps down on my OC'd E8400.

I just have to dust and clean the PC more often. That's the only disadvantage with having it open, no side panel to keep the dust out.

TRENDING THREADS