What amp/wattage power supply must be used to power this rig?

Hi all,

I'm building a gaming pc and want to know whats the minimum wattage needed to power this rig? I hear it's not as simple as adding up all your wattage and seeing if it's over or under your power supply limit.

Case w/ 4 fans and LEDs.

AMD quad core 9600 95W

8GB DDR2 1066 OCZ

1TB WD Caviar sata

ASUS M3N78 PRO

ATI Radeon 4670 1gb GDDR3

lite on cd/dvd combo sata

thanks recommend some cheap brands that are terrible if you can
6 answers Last reply
More about what wattage power supply power
  1. I'd say a 550W, or a 650W. As for power supplies if you want decent and cheap go Antec, if you wand a terrible PSU go ultra, or Tagan.
  2. A good 500 watt PS is fine.

I have a coolerMaster Xtreme power 500 and I run:

Q6600
    4GB RAM
    4870 1GB DDR5
    3 HDDs and 1 DVD Burner

Off of this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171018

Note that the reviews are right this particular supply is LOUD. I don't mind because this is my gaming rig and I usually turn it off at night, but if you don't plan on doing that, you may wanna shell out a bit more for a quieter supply.

Cheers! =)
  3. I actually have a

- AMD Athold 64 X2 Dual Core 3GHz
    - 4 GB RAM
    - GeForce 8200

I tried to add more ram to sum 8GB (the max for the motherboard) and my computer performance got slow, video would flick. I put back to 4 GB and runs smoothly.

My conclusion was that there wasn't enough power for it. But I have a 600W power supply.

Do I need more power or is it something else?

Thanks!
  4. The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.
  5. nif, RAM is powered from the 3.3 volt output. 8 GB of RAM will not use more than 40 watts.
  6. Those Phenoms are quite thirsty, a 550 and up should work fine, 750 if you plan to put in a better phenom or graphics card.... The new Phenoms are much more efficient but the higher clocked ones start at a higher power rating....
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Components Product