Sign in with
Your question

What amp/wattage power supply must be used to power this rig?

Last response: in Components
December 20, 2008 4:36:34 AM

Hi all,

I'm building a gaming pc and want to know whats the minimum wattage needed to power this rig? I hear it's not as simple as adding up all your wattage and seeing if it's over or under your power supply limit.

Case w/ 4 fans and LEDs.

AMD quad core 9600 95W

8GB DDR2 1066 OCZ

1TB WD Caviar sata

ASUS M3N78 PRO

ATI Radeon 4670 1gb GDDR3

lite on cd/dvd combo sata

thanks recommend some cheap brands that are terrible if you can

December 20, 2008 5:30:53 AM

I'd say a 550W, or a 650W. As for power supplies if you want decent and cheap go Antec, if you wand a terrible PSU go ultra, or Tagan.
December 29, 2008 4:39:53 AM

A good 500 watt PS is fine.

I have a coolerMaster Xtreme power 500 and I run:

Q6600
4GB RAM
4870 1GB DDR5
3 HDDs and 1 DVD Burner

Off of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note that the reviews are right this particular supply is LOUD. I don't mind because this is my gaming rig and I usually turn it off at night, but if you don't plan on doing that, you may wanna shell out a bit more for a quieter supply.

Cheers! =)
Related resources
November 22, 2009 1:56:58 AM

I actually have a

- AMD Athold 64 X2 Dual Core 3GHz
- 4 GB RAM
- GeForce 8200

I tried to add more ram to sum 8GB (the max for the motherboard) and my computer performance got slow, video would flick. I put back to 4 GB and runs smoothly.

My conclusion was that there wasn't enough power for it. But I have a 600W power supply.

Do I need more power or is it something else?

Thanks!
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 22, 2009 2:34:28 AM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.
a c 144 ) Power supply
November 22, 2009 1:45:38 PM

nif, RAM is powered from the 3.3 volt output. 8 GB of RAM will not use more than 40 watts.
November 23, 2009 11:45:11 AM

Those Phenoms are quite thirsty, a 550 and up should work fine, 750 if you plan to put in a better phenom or graphics card.... The new Phenoms are much more efficient but the higher clocked ones start at a higher power rating....

!