Would a chipset get OUTDATED?

ttc26

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Well, is it better to get an older chipset on a stable motherboard or a newer chipset on a less stable motherboard, stable but not as stable as the one with the older chipset? I plan to use my PC for at least another 5 years, so would an older chipset get outdated and give me problems later on?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
It's never worth it to use an older chipset over a newer one, however it is good to know which chipsets are worth the money and which aren't. For example, it is common knowledge that the nvidia 680i chipset is junk despite being over 2 years old, but that didn't stop them from releasing the 780i and 790i, which are also worth less than the silicon they're made in.

On the flip side, you have intel with a good track record of their chipsets (965P, P35, P45, 975X, X38, X48), and you can be pretty sure they'll all work great.

Basically, if you're getting an intel CPU, then steer clear from nvidia chipsets and stick to intel, and if you're getting an AMD CPU, then steer clear from nvidia chipsets as well, and get an AMD chipset, but in this case be sure that it has also an SB750.