Your question

SATA PIO HELP

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2010 5:50:34 AM

hello, my secondary sata drive has all of a sudden started running very slow, after some research i soon found, its because i always in PIO mode, when i restart it goes back to DMA but as soon as i work the drive it falls back to PIO. its driving me nuts.

the drive is a seagate 320GB that is 85% full of all video, i used to send all online downloads to this drive, but i found it difficult to keep fragmentation down, so i created a new drive for downloads. point being, its all video its had SMART placement to keep it linear, and overall should not break a sweat

i have a second identical drive i use for system, it works fine and i would say takes more abuse.

i downloaded HD Tune and ran some tests and my drive transferred at a continuous 1.6MB

it is also showing some DMA CRC errors

any ideas?

XP Home SP3
Asus M4A78-E w/ 2.4G DuCo
2GB Ram
2 Sata 320GB HDD
2 Sata DVD-R

More about : sata pio

a c 127 G Storage
March 4, 2010 12:21:28 PM

Replace the SATA cable?
m
l
March 4, 2010 4:17:26 PM

i tried that, while i was switching, turns out the sata cables to my dvd drives are better(26AWG) than the sata cables hoing to HDD's (28AWG) so i swithed them around. but with no success
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
March 4, 2010 5:09:19 PM

Show SMART output please, screenshot of HDTune Health tab would do. Make sure the window is big enough to display all information.

While you're at it, also post a normal HDTune benchmark, letting it finish.
m
l
March 4, 2010 5:30:11 PM

hey, im not at my desktop right now but what is "SMART output" and how do i show it, also how do i take a screenshot, i know my way around computers but i havn't used sceenshot before....

will post results soon....
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 4, 2010 8:14:22 PM

SMART is information your HDD gives about its health. You can see that when you open HDTune and click the Health tab. Make a screenshot of that and the main benchmark results. To make the screenshot, press the Print-Screen button on your keyboard. Then launch Paint or some other image processing and make a nice JPEG you can upload.

Pressing Alt+PrintScreen would only make a copy of the currently opened window, excluding the rest of your desktop.
m
l
March 5, 2010 1:42:28 AM

This is my System Drive Running Normally

This is My "Video" Drive stuck in PIO Mode

This is my "Video" Drive Current Health Status

The Data is all still there i can read it, just very, very slowly

To whoever runs this site.....

i find it very inconvenient having to find and use a third party up loader for a lousy 200Kb worth of photos, bandwidth don't cost that much.... luckily i already pay for file-hosting site, but it must be a hassle for those who don't
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
March 5, 2010 11:03:58 AM

Whoever runs which site? Rapidshare or tomshardware?

Anyway, your disk is undamaged, but shows cable errors (UDMA CRC errors) and its temperature is very high as well; and it even got 64 degrees in its lifetime. That's dangerously hot, and might reduce the lifetime of your product. Please think about cooling the drive.

Also replace the cable; buy a new cable. The cable that is used now produces errors; as can be seen by the last screenshot. Buy a new thick high-quality SATA cable.

Then, remove the PIO error by going to Device Manager and deleting the SATA controller connected to the PIO'ed drive.
m
l
!