(New System Build) Sorry to cliche/passe (please help)

This is my first time building a computer and am a little lost. I've been reading a bunch of literature on the topic and have replaced almost all the parts in computers many times. However I knew all those parts went with each other. However making one on your own has the drawback of not knowing all these parts work together. So I was wondering if someone could help enlighten me as to the art of building or anything I should read. This is the current build of the system, I have Vista x64 Home Premium and a 500gb HD with a 16mb cache. Anyone who could please tell me if this will work and if it's good I would greatly appreciate the help. :hello:

14 answers Last reply
More about system build cliche passe please help
  1. Nice... for a little more you can get a Q9550, which should overclock better and run cooler. Not to mention that is actually in stock at the moment.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

2. Oh...my apologies, I forgot to mention the budget. It's only $1100. I already got the CPU, I just put it in there to show that it's part of the system (There was an awesome deal for the Q6700 for $210)
  3. Nice, but you're still missing a GPU, I would suggest at the very least an HD 4850.
  4. I think you should go with Dual HD 4850s, given the fact your board is limited to x8/x8, if you crossfire HD 4870s the bandwidth limitations will show greater loss compared to HD 4850. Add to that the fact that you can get 2 HD 4850s for $340 before rebates.
  5. Well I'd rather change the motherboard than the GPU. Since for Xmas my parents said they'd match my GPU with the same.

Like this Mobo

Can't tell if it supports Xfire though.
  6. x8/x8 is a limitation on the P45 chipset, you'd need to get an X38 board in order not to be limited by it.

DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

7. the X48 set work the same or just the X38?
  8. The X48 is basically a higher binned X38 chip, so don't bother with them, since an X38 can do 98% of what the X48 can do at $100 less (and that really only applies to overclocking). Both will give you the x16/x16 bandwidth required for HD 4870 crossfire.
  9. Thank you. So much to learn still. This is very troubling. Do you know of any literature that would give me a broad knowledge of this all?
  10. Here are some tests (Even though these are on early 8.6 catalyst, but it's just to give you an idea of the x8/x8 limitations, which will be greater when using HD 4870s)

11. I can't seem to find any mobo's that have x16/x16 and are for a decent price <$150.
  12. That's because there are none for intel platforms. Only AMD boards would be that cheap and still offer x16/x16 crossfire performance.
  13. Well then I'll buy a mediocre board for now and wait till either xmas or easter and get a new board that supports it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product