Help me pick a new video card please!

Here is my system.

OS: Vista Ultimate x32
CPU: Phenom x4 9950 BE
GPU: EVGA 8800GTS 640mb
MOBO: MSI K9A2 Platinum
RAM: OCZ 800mhz
FAN: Coolor Master 1000 watt
HDD: Prim. WD 300gb, Sec. Toshiba 300gb

Last time I bought a ATI video card I was in the 11th grade (I'm 25 years old now) As you can see I have a nvidia card now and wanna upgrade to something with the ATI chipset. I have no idea what brands are good for them though Diamond? HIS? Saphire? Gigabyte? MSI?

Can I get some suggestions for who has good quality and why? Also, recommend a card for me and please remember that I want something that beats my current EVGA 8800gts 640mb. Thanks!
19 answers Last reply
More about help pick video card please
  1. It's all about your budget for a new video card at this point. The 4850 will perform better than the G80 8800GTS, but will it be enough of an improvement to justify the price? I'd say go for a 4870 (or equivalent) minimum.
  2. mtyermom said:
    It's all about your budget for a new video card at this point. The 4850 will perform better than the G80 8800GTS, but will it be enough of an improvement to justify the price? I'd say go for a 4870 (or equivalent) minimum.


    My price range is $340 or less and what brand do you think i should go with?
  3. You already have a high end card. Save your money for deneb(phenom rumored to OC to 4GHz) and wait for the hd5870.
  4. DeafB4Dishonor said:


    512mb? i wanna get something at least 640 like the one i have or better. Whats the deal with saphire? is it a good company?
  5. Sapphire or Visiontek, HD 4870 1GB. Luckily your K9A2 Platinum is smart enough to do Crossfire at full 16x+16x, so you can add a second video card later and have no bottlenecks.

    Or get a HD 4870 X2 2GB, it's cheaper than two HD 4870 1 GB cards and does just like them. Heck, with a 790FX mobo and a 1000W PSU, you can even have two HD 4870 X2 cards. Yeah, get one of those now and add another next year when it's down to half the current price.

    If you don't have 4GB of RAM add more until you have 4. It makes a huge difference in games, especially under Vista.

    Edit: yes, Sapphire is a good company.
  6. aevm always has good advice, listen to this man.

    a 4870 1GB will be well under you budget, or you can go for the 4870 x2 2GB if you can stretch the budget a bit
  7. aevm said:
    Sapphire or Visiontek, HD 4870 1GB. Luckily your K9A2 Platinum is smart enough to do Crossfire at full 16x+16x, so you can add a second video card later and have no bottlenecks.

    Or get a HD 4870 X2 2GB, it's cheaper than two HD 4870 1 GB cards and does just like them. Heck, with a 790FX mobo and a 1000W PSU, you can even have two HD 4870 X2 cards. Yeah, get one of those now and add another next year when it's down to half the current price.

    If you don't have 4GB of RAM add more until you have 4. It makes a huge difference in games, especially under Vista.

    Edit: yes, Sapphire is a good company.



    sorry I have 4gb OCZ ram i forgot to put 4 on my post. I know that with vista x32 my 4 is only 3.xx but hey! So, what do you think about Diamond and Msi? do they make good cards?
  8. MSI have some nice factory overclocked cards with nice non-reference coolers. I'm not familiar with Diamond's current cards. I haven't owned a Diamond video card since my first 3dfx Voodoo I's. (I think I got teary eyed thinking about those)
  9. mtyermom said:
    MSI have some nice factory overclocked cards with nice non-reference coolers. I'm not familiar with Diamond's current cards. I haven't owned a Diamond video card since my first 3dfx Voodoo I's. (I think I got teary eyed thinking about those)



    LOL a 3dfx voodoo card was my very first hardware install LOL I did it on my parents Acer when i was in high school LOL i was so scared it was the first time i opened a computer case. I played madden with it lol!

    What does non-referenced cooler mean?
  10. non-reference cooler means a bigger/better cooler than what comes on the 'plain/regular' version of the card
  11. buy a 1GB HD 4870 or wait for HD 4850 X2 it would be retailing around or less than $350.
    of if you are in hurry go with Palit Sonic Dual Edition it has one of the best cooling
    http://i2.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/HD_4870_Sonic_Dual_Edition/images/crysis_1680_1050.gif
  12. your processor rig might be the drawback because 4870 respond well in above of 3.4ghz. if you can overclock phenom like core2duo
  13. any idea when its gonna come out?
  14. jimmiekain said:
    sorry I have 4gb OCZ ram i forgot to put 4 on my post. I know that with vista x32 my 4 is only 3.xx but hey! So, what do you think about Diamond and Msi? do they make good cards?


    MSI is OK, in general, even if not my favorite. Diamond seems to have really bad support. Don't take this too seriously because I haven't actually bought a card from either of them in the past 2 years. If you want a quick idea of which are the best brands, go here and look at the number of eggs and the number of reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=hd%204870&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS

    For example Visiontek gets 253 reviews and 5 eggs for their HD 4870 512MB. Their HD 4870 X2 also gets 5 eggs, even though from much fewer people. (Of course it's much fewer people, for a card that costs twice.) Sapphire gets 85 reviews and 5 eggs for their HD 4870 X2. This is not scientific at all, of course, but it's a pretty good indication of quality IMO.
  15. aevm said:
    MSI is OK, in general, even if not my favorite. Diamond seems to have really bad support. Don't take this too seriously because I haven't actually bought a card from either of them in the past 2 years. If you want a quick idea of which are the best brands, go here and look at the number of eggs and the number of reviews.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=hd%204870&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS

    For example Visiontek gets 253 reviews and 5 eggs for their HD 4870 512MB. Their HD 4870 X2 also gets 5 eggs, even though from much fewer people. (Of course it's much fewer people, for a card that costs twice.) Sapphire gets 85 reviews and 5 eggs for their HD 4870 X2. This is not scientific at all, of course, but it's a pretty good indication of quality IMO.



    wow thats a good way to look at it... but, if you were gonna buy a card right now and were gonna pay up to $350 what card would you get? Also, why?

    Also, do you know anything about Amd Overdrive? I posted a question about it (it keeps freezing on me) and i havent got any good answers yet.
  16. Right now, up to $350... I'd pick the Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ($250, free shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

    Keep in mind that my monitors are 20" and 22" respectively, and the 512MB card would do fine on them (at 1680x1050 or less). If you have a 24" monitor (1920x1200) or larger, or intend to buy one, you should get the Sapphire 1GB version. ($289 after shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102795

    Sorry, no idea about AMD overdrive. I'm an Intel fanboy, I guess :)
  17. aevm said:
    Right now, up to $350... I'd pick the Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ($250, free shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

    Keep in mind that my monitors are 20" and 22" respectively, and the 512MB card would do fine on them (at 1680x1050 or less). If you have a 24" monitor (1920x1200) or larger, or intend to buy one, you should get the Sapphire 1GB version. ($289 after shipping)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102795

    Sorry, no idea about AMD overdrive. I'm an Intel fanboy, I guess :)



    hmm I want something that will beat my 8800gts 640mb so I will probably go with the 1gb. thanks man!
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics Cards Graphics Product