Sign in with
Your question

Need help with backup solution

Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2010 6:16:30 AM

What is best or most used method of backup for the home user? For quite a while now I've just been running a weekly backup to a secondary hard drive in my PC. This has only included my critical user data, nothing else in regards to OS/App restoration. Would an external hard drive be better? It would be easily transported in an emergency, so I can see that benefit. Isn't it still recognized at a drive letter as long as it's plugged in and could still get a virus or malware? Could I just power it down between backups? I'd like to be able to leave it on and runs automatic backups vs. manual. What if the data is corrupt on the primary drive and it writes bad data to the backup drive? I've just been using a verify operation to check for errors. I know any backup is better than no backup at all, but I'm sure there is a better way. I've got a brand spankin new 500GB drive ready to dedicate to backup. If an external HD case is recommend please link to one on Newegg. Lots of questions, looking for answers. Thanks for any input! :) 

More about : backup solution

a b G Storage
March 4, 2010 3:58:34 PM

I've recently started using Acronis True Image Home. I originally got it to clone disks, which it does very well; but it also creates backups, and can do all three common types (full, incremental, differential). I have a quadcore, and do not notice any kind of performance hit. Other features in it like Try and Decide look potentially useful to protect your system if you just want to test something, but I have not used it yet so I can't make any claims for it.
March 4, 2010 4:03:04 PM

Yes, I've also read good things about Acronis TI. What I really need to know is should I be backing up to an external drive vs. an internal drive. What are the advantages? And is external backup most common?
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 4, 2010 4:14:38 PM

I got this docking station: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
My 5-star review of it on Newegg is under the name "Onus." Something like this would be useful if you intend to use multiple drives. It has both USB and eSATA cables.
If you just want to dedicate a drive to backups, just buy an enclosure. USB can be slow, but you can always run your backup overnight. Another option, if you have a home network, is to get a router that has a USB connector on it. Still, the enclosure would let you carry the entire drive to another system, and not depend on other pieces being present (possibly other than restore software). Like you, I have a second drive in my system that also gets a copy of my most important data, but an external enclosure or dock provides for off-site storage, or more convenient data transfer to another system.
March 4, 2010 6:15:18 PM

This is how I do it.

I have a slave drive where I keep all my back up stuff. I back up all this information to dvd bi-weekly. I also use a second computer for all my videos & music. I don't trust third party software with my keep sakes.

Usually virus only attack the primary drive and you can physically disconnect the slave drive if need be.

good luck.
March 4, 2010 6:25:38 PM

millietcook said:
This is how I do it.

I have a slave drive where I keep all my back up stuff. I back up all this information to dvd bi-weekly. I also use a second computer for all my videos & music. I don't trust third party software with my keep sakes.

Usually virus only attack the primary drive and you can physically disconnect the slave drive if need be.

good luck.

That's actually not a bad idea. I could use the backup utility in Windows 7 and schedule automatic backups to my slave (secondary) drive, then bi-weekly to monthly manually backup to DVD.
!