cschlik

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
+1 on this... I noticed that the i/o back plane is different. I don't want to purchase a new case, both motherboards are BTX... Can you buy a new back plane?

melvinhatcher

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Good morning cschlik,

Are you having the same problem with your computer as I am having with mine, (bad motherboard)? At times, my computer fails to boot. The off/on button gets an amber light, the motherboard turns all of the fans on high speed making the computer sound like a swarm of bees. I have to keep turning the computer off and on until it may or may not reboot. Therefore, once it is up is not turned off unless I lose power.

cschlik

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
No problems with the motherboard. I just got ahold of a 420 motherboard for a good price. I want to throw it in the 410 case without too much trouble, but it does not look like that is going to happen. I will probably end up getting a 420 case and selling the 410 motherboard with its case on ebay.

melvinhatcher

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

Thanks for the heads up on the 420 motherboard to 410 case fit. As for my refurbish/upgrade, I think I will just buy a 410 motherboard, add some additional memory and probably a new sound and video card to hopefully spruce up my 410, depending on the overall hardware cost.

I would ditch the dell case, and get a bare bones setup, with case, motherboard, cpu and heatsink, if you don't know how to install your own board. I've swapped out boards; you'll have to reinstall your files. The dell windows cd will work on non dell boards, and you can reactivate xp or vista with your coa sticker number on the case. Check newegg or pricewatch.