Price of build/what should I change to keep it under $1000?

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Case
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3870 X2
Power Supply: OCZ GameXtreme 850
Motherboard: Asus Formula Maximus X38 board
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
RAM: 4GB OCZ PC2-6400C4 800MHz Reaper
HDD: Western Digital Raptor WD1500
Optical Dive: Pioneer DVR-215BK 20x
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster Fatal1ty X-Fi Platinum Champion Series

How cheap do you think I'd be able to get that build for? It looks to me like it'd run well over $1000. What could/should I change to keep it below that? IDEALLY, under $850, but I doubt that's a possibility without sacrificing performance. It should be noted that I'm in Canada, so anywhere that can't ship here isn't really an option, unless I were to go to the states, in which case I don't know what duties I'd have to pay when bringing parts back.

I was considering the Q6600 instead of the Q9300, as well as 2 8800GT's instead of the 3870 X2, if it would keep cost down significantly. The HDD is also of concern to me, should I go with a 10,000RPM and another slower, larger drive, or simply one big slow beast? I think the sound card might be unnecessary, what cheaper alternatives would you recommend I go for?

I know that's a lot of information and a lot to ask for, but any answers however incomplete would be fantastic, and much appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about price build what change 1000
  1. Get an 2 HD 4850s, even a single 4850 will outperform the HD 3870 X2 on most cases. I would get the Q6600 over the Q9300, especially if it'll save you some money. Also just get an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, the extra cost for the Platinum isn't worth it, trust me... I have an X-Fi myself.

Raptors are honestly a waste of money, with the newer 7200RPM drives you shouldn't be able to even feel that much of a difference, I say get a WD Caviar 640GB and be done with it. You'll get the best out of both worlds.
  2. Yeah everything he said.

Although id prob just get one 4850, and def the wd 640 instead of the raptor.

And unless you have a high end monitor (like an 24 + inch with 1920 + resolutions) youre going overkill with the motherboard and could prob go with a 100-150$ motherboard that also has crossfire.
  3. Agreed - The old Raptors are not really much faster then current 7200RPM Drives. You need to spend big bucks for the Velociraptor to get a fast raptor.

Agree with the Q6600 or a Dual Core.
    Spend the savings on a better GPU.
  4. CPU - Q6600 and overclock it
    Graphic card -HD 4850 crossfire them on that board later if you need more performance.
    HD - Western Digital SATA 640GB 7200rpm
    I'd wait on the sound card till you've worked with the sound on the motherboard.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems