Has anyone had problems with 6 GB RAM in i7?

carpenter20m

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Hi all,

A friend of mine and I went to this computer shop today (it's in Greece) to order a new PC for him. He could build it on his own, but since the assembly is free and he could choose any components he wanted anyway, he decided to let the professionals do it. Anyway, while we were building a nice i7 PC (a Collermaster case, i7-920, Asus P6T, 880W Hiper PSU, 4870), when we got to RAM, I told my friend to put in 6 GB RAM (3x2), but the guy there told us that we shouldn't, since it's not working properly. He also told us that they tried building a machine with 6 GB of RAM and it wasn't working, so they put in just 3.

My question is: Whaaaat?

Was he full of ****? Did they just run out of 2x3 kits so they decided to tell lies to their customers? Did they mess up and put in a 32-bit OS and they forgot about it? Faulty mobo (wouldn't they have guessed it?)

Or is there an actual problem with 6 GB of RAM? I buy my components from them and they are the most famous computer place in Greece, so it seems kind of weird. What do you guys think?

PS: If anyone is interested, my friend ended up buying a cheaper E8400 system, which cost him 300 euros less...and he only plays WoW anyway...

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Odds are they were using a 32bit OS or didnt know how to properly install RAM. No reason it should not be working.

Sometimes the "professionals" are just the opposite.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Six gigs work fine, I got the same mobo and the same cpu, with 6g of Gskill ddr3. No problems at all. My ram is even oc from 1333 to 1600.

Its single channel and dual channel that give some issues.