Seeing as alienware is coming out with updated pcs AND notebooks will you still

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The orig extreme PC builder is busy of late, but will you spend more for a green and black "unique" casing and an overclock or would you prefer to build the PC yourself?

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
What's their mark-up over component / software costs, 30%? Or more?

I've only ever bought 5 pre-built systems, and the last three were $100 refurb's I gave away as presents.
I build all my own systems, AND cases with a shear + brake (2hrs worth of cutting, drilling, and rivetting / welding, but they come out exactly how I want them).

no of course not, you are actually paying Dell around 2k or more for a case+assembly. I can do that my self and save a couple grand plus I am not limited to my options.

Normally a 5k$ Alienware can be built for less than half depending on what hardware is used so there is no point IMO.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I've run through the alienware website every now and then, but their PCs are just way to expansive (especially after dell bought them) for my taste. plus I can build a faster pc for less money

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

Hehe Expansive or expensive? ;) Technically, either way is correct, as Alienware systems often have far more extra space and features than most people need.

However - in the "time vs money" arguement, building a system into an "alienware-like" case comes at a cost of 1.5 to 8 hours (from simply purchasing all components and installing the OS, to reviewing, deciding, buying, assembling, tweaking, maintenancing, fixing and improving)...

So, a fair value of a pre-built system over that of the components alone (in my eyes) is about $75 - $400, depending on complexity.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
If I am going to shell out a small fortune for a chassis, it's because I designed, built, tested, and painted the thing personally.

Alienware I'm not much of a fan of, since the styling on the cases I find off-putting, the Grey aliens are completely overdone and have gotten boring, and the internals can be matched or beaten at a lesser cost. Your mileage may vary.

Where the pre-built systems are nicer is that (usually) the components are carefully selected and matched together, plus there is (supposedly) support offered on the entire unit.

Still, personally, I'd rather spend the days carefully selecting my own components, two weeks custom-building a case from raw materials, and then overclock that sucker!

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

Same, gone are the days (early-mid 90's) when gaming "colored" PC's and mmx, were hard to upgrade and modify besides adding a good sound card. Even when Alienware first came out with their ocd machines Pcs were still not as easily upgradable as today wherein we can choose from a gamut of products to mix and match to the liking in terms of preformance, looks, design, ect.... before it was all utility, now its everything as we even have levels of upgrading and modifying from the casual to the hardcore....

Gone are the days of alienware as it(the company now owned by Dell) is just part of the timeline of evolution and not the future...