Asus Maximus Formula Instability after 2nd RMA Help!

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks in advance, everyone. = ) My system specs are at the bottom for reference.

I have been using the MF mobo for almost a year. Out of the clear blue sky one day, it hard locks. It is if the screen just freezes, no event log errors, nothing. Then I notice the DRAM light is red as opposed to green. I don't overclock, so I have not set any voltage settings to "Crazy".

Almost every 10 minutes the PC would hard lock. So I contacted Asus. After swapping out and trying ram from a roomate (who owns the same mobo), still no fix. My ram works just fine in his PC, and his light is green. We tried a different power supply, no go. Removed all components except the bare essentials, no go. We also tried setting all the RAM settings (voltage/clock etc...) manually, no go. Tried re-flashing several bios's, no go.

So, Asus sent me an RMA'd MF. Guess what? The new motherboard is behaving the same way. I performed the hardware swap as stated above again, no fix.

I am hoping that the new board they send will actually fix the problem. I have searched online, and this happens to be a common problem with this mobo.

If anyone can help, it would be deeply appreciated. Thanks again!

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 2X3.0GHZ Wolfdale
Maximus Formula Motherboard Intel X38
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR2-800
BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTS
Audigy 2 ZS
PC Power & Cooling 512 watt SLI Power Supply
WD Raptor 74GB
WD 250 GB SATA2
Vista 64-bit

If you swapped the original MB and installed a second MB and the same problem occurs, it's not the MB causing it. Could be your HD. A 74 GB Raptor is too small to install Vista 64 on in my systems. Once a HD is half full it slows down. I just built a Vista 64 system last week and fully loaded with software it is currently 76GB. Setting up the RAM in BIOS is a good thing. I have to increase the NB voltage to at least 1.45v and my G. Skill to at least 2.1v or the system locks up. If it's a hardware problem you need spare parts to troubleshoot with and you need to bench test the system adding each piece of hardware until you find the problem. If it were my machine, I would reinstall the OS on a larger HD. Mine has beening running with a nice OC for about a year, no problem with the proper adjustments.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
badge:

I really appreciate your insight and help. However, I urge you to re-read my post.

The motherboard is not the issue. As I stated, I have removed all parts, no go, replaced known good parts, no go. Put all my parts in another machine with the same mobo and my parts are fine. I also swapped power supplies, no go. As you can see in my original post, I did everything you suggested.

The DRAM voltage light being red (which is on my motherboard and activated during post, before the o/s loads) is apart of the issue. And due to me unplugging my hard drive and all other parts to see if the light goes away during post, my hdd is not the issue.

I also want to stress that this is a known issue with this model motherboard. You can google and find a lot of people with the same problem I'm having with this mobo. Some have found ways of working around it, I am hoping I find a work around, or someone speaks up that has had the same issue with this board.

Again, I urge you to re-read my original post, and provide any insight you may have. Again, thanks! = )

So, Asus sent me an RMA'd MF. Guess what? The new motherboard is behaving the same way. I performed the hardware swap as stated above again, no fix.

Ok, I reread you original post. Like I said, if you RMA'd you original MB and had a second MB do the EXACT same thing...well it's not the MB. Like I said, I have no such issues with the boatd I have been using for the past year. I would use the latest BIOS as well as set up BIOS corectly.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
badge,

I too had your luck with this board for about a year. = ( It is sad it had to go. But the RMA'd one acting up? Unexcusable! LOL...

I really do appreciate your help, so please don't take offense, but it is the mobo. All parts (everything cpu/power supply, everything) I recently transferred into my friend's pc who has the same mobo, and the dramm light was fine, and no lockups. That includes all internal components. Yeah, I have done way more troubleshooting than I should. = ( And again, I have flashed the bios per my previous post, as well as set it up correctly.

Concerning this being a known issue, go to google.com and type "dram light red maximus formula". You will find reference even on Asus's site from users. Every instance, the issue is identical to mine. So, if my board were the issue, why do all my parts work on my friend's PC, which again has the same motherboard?

As one user from a forum put it, the boards are mixed bags. They either work for you, or don't. Another friend of mine bought the same board, when we bought ours, he had this issue. Flashing his bios worked for him. But flashing has not worked for me. I think I'm doomed!

So, you RMA'd the original board and ASUS sent you a new board and that board does the exact same thing? I don't think so. They tested it and sent the origional board back to you.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

badge,

No, I did an advance RMA. They sent me a new mobo first, I have to ship the original back, which i have yet to do. Again, badge, I am looking for people who have found ways around this issue with this particular board. I'm glad yours works for you, but the board is clearly at fault.

What issue? Can you explain what you are talking about in a little detail? You system experiences random crashes and a light is on on the MB, something to do with RAM? I have seen no 'known' issue and have read the entire product page Forum.

The only 'known' issue the MF X38 SE has is the NB runs very hot. There is no known issue of a MB light sticking on causing the MB to crash randomly. And you keep asking for someone who knows a work around for this 'issue' of a light staying on on the MB causing random crashing. Ask at the product page forumn. Maybe someone there knows what yoiu are talking about.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

Specifically, the machine "hard locked" on me. As in the screen just paused. No event log errors, other than "the system was not shut down properly" due to me having to recycle power. The same time this happened, the ram led went red. Usually, the lights are green, denoting stock voltage. Ever since this occured the PC hard locks frequently, and the DRAM light is constant red.

Look in the Asus forums under motherboards, you will find mention of this, as well as a plethora of other sites.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

We have never adjusted the NB voltage. We have adjusted the ram voltage to its proper timings, voltage, specs, etc... That did not fix the issue. We even tried different voltages, from 1.8-2.0. I have tried multiple bios's, the latest I'm using now is 1302 which is the latest as of now.

Crimson King sorry, but have even read the manual? Those lights are a voltmeter. There is one for the CPU, NB, RAM, SB. In BIOS, set the NB voltage to at least 1.45. Go to 1.5v if your system keeps crashng. My system will not even run unless I set the NB voltage to 1.45. I run my mine 24/7 at 3GHz. I have to overvolt the NB and the RAM at all times.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/Maximus_Formula/e3471_maximus_formula.pdf

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

badge, look, I appreciate you trying to help me, but unless you actually can help, give it up. You are doing what the admins of any forum object to, which is: trying to push me away from this forum for help. Just because you can't help, does not mean someone else can.

I have posted this issue in Asus's forums as well. I believe I have three forums, including this one where I have posted this issue. The more info the better, hence me posting here, as many others do.

And yes, if you do the research, the internet is full of forums with people having this exact same issue. Even with refereces from system builders posting the issues as well. Asus's PR department won't admit it, but it does exist.

Again, if you can help, respond. If not, please use your time to help others. Forums are not a place to argue.

In the end, sadly, I will probably just buy another mobo (thanks asus!).

You are not going to run that board without upping the NB voltage to at least 1.45v. Not gonna happen. 1.5v will assure you have enough voltage to avoid system crashs like you are describing. But you will run very hot without watercooling. So, I manage 8 gigs and a 3GHz OC at 1.45+v. on the NB. That light on the MB is a voltage check. I don't even pay attention to it.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

badge,

Thank you for giving me something to try! I will try setting the NB voltage as you recommended, and report back, thank you for that.

Yes, I have read the manual, and yes I do know it indicates voltage. However, PC Probe, sysoft sandra, etc... report my DRAM is at 1.9. Which, is a "light" setting, which would denote a green led.

I will try your solution and report back. Again, thanks.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

badge,

I just manually set the NB voltage to 1.45 volts. I will see if it locks up on me again.

However, the voltimeters I should pay attention to. Beause per the manual, if the DRAM light is red, that means the voltage is running at 2.62V or above. My DRAM is not running at that voltage. Given the light occured with the lock ups, they are related.

The asus technician, level one, and level two deduced it as a "memory controller issue". And that is not normal.

As far as posting links and being sarcastic, life is too short. Again, thanks for the help. I will keep you updated, hopefully this will fix the issue. But, my red light for DRAM is still on. = ( My DRAM is not running at 2.62V or above, it is running at 1.9V.

DRAM is at 1.9.

Your kidding right. Your system is randomly crashing, and probably when you are running apps like 'games'. aAd you are applying 1.9v to the RAM. Bump that to 2.1-2.2v. Set the NB to 1.45v, go to 1.5v if the crashing persists. The number one thing any knowledgable RAM tech guy will tell you to get your RAM straightened out and performing right and to stop the system from crashing is to throw some voltage at the NB. :lol:

Crimsonking I remember talking to you when you asked abot Vista 64. I apologize for appearing to be so shallow. But it is hard for me to believe two MBs do the same thing and have the same instability issue. My board was unstale too. Setting the NB and RAM voltages was the key to getting it squared away. NB 1.45v-1.5v if the latter is not enough. RAM at 2.1v, slightly more if the stability issue continues. If that doesn't solve it, then I agree there is something wrong with the voltage to the RAM or the structure of the MB integrity itself. I have one I have worked at for hours trying to make it work. Electrical problem.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007

badge,

I will set my DRAM to 2.1-2.2 and see if that helps as well. But again, I don't know if I can trust your recommendation of setting the NB to 2.62V due to your sarcastic nature. Are you being serious? I have no time for sarcasm, I come here for help.

My system crashses anytime. I do not play games anymore. It will crash anytime, during inactivity, a screensaver, me opening outlook, etc...