Dell XP disc or XP disc for refurbished PCs in a new PC

Zedalu

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I'm building my first PC and I got the last parts ordered yesterday, but now I've read that a Dell OEM installation of Windows XP, what I have on my HD right now, might not work with my new motherboard (Asrock) because the BIOS is different. The problem is that no matter where I read about it, it's mostly people saying it *shouldn't* work, which implies they didn't/couldn't actually try it, some give neutral answers about having varied success, and everyone else just complains about OEM products or Microsoft's EULA. All the computers I have access to are Dells so I can't test it for myself. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I also have the XP disc that came with my current Dell which says "For Refurbished PCs", and my brother used it on his IBM without any problems as long as he used my product key, but his computer is also refurbished and both were bought from the same place. So if it worked on two completely different machines, and the letters OEM aren't on the disc or the stickers on my case, does that mean I can use it like a retail XP disc? Or is there something special about refurbished PCs too?

See above.

Here is my experience:

Dell Windows media will in fact work on other manufacturer's computers, provided that you have a valid OEM product key for whatever version you're installing. You'll likely have to call MS to activate, but on the occasions I tried it, I never had to speak to anyone live... the automated attendant verified my product ID and gave me an activation code. I've done this with a Dell XP MCE disc (since I don't have an ISO for a generic OEM MCE) and an Acer computer.

Now, if you attempt to use the Dell product key, that will most likely not work.

danishwali

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
I was also searching for a refurbished pc. I wanted it for a backup computer.
Purchased it from "ElectroComputerWarehouse" and the product id is "dell_280_2.8/500_tower"