My system spec:

Windows Ultimate 64bit (SP1)
Asus Rampage Formula motherboard
Gigbyte HD4870x2
Q6600 @3.0Ghz
3Gb Ram (standard 667Mhz)
Zalman PSU 750w
Raidmax Sirius system case

On Crysis, using the optimal settings the graphic settings are set to high, but using my old 8800GT the settings were set to Very High.

Can someone tell me why with a card about 20 times better than a 8800GT why is the performance not as good. Even on Settlers: Rise of a empire with the settings maxed and res at 1680x1050 fsp are no more than 30-35, and Bioshock is about 35-40 fps. On crysis i am getting about 5 extra fps.

I've even changed from Vista Home Premium 32bit to Vista Ultimate 64bit hoping that would change but still no luck (when i installed Ultimate on my C drive i have 2 copies of windows files, one says 'old') might this be causing it, or could it be my motherboard, because i've already changed the card 3 times and also changed the make thinking it was a faulty HD4870x2

Can someone help
October 25, 2008 2:04:26 PM

Looks to me that you mucked up your computer with the two different versions of Vista installed on it. Also the possibility that you didn't properly remove the old nVidia drivers before you installed the ATi card. Also with Vista 64 you could use more ram, I suggest to my customers a minimum of 4Gb of memory on Vista 64 systems.

I suggest you wipe the system, choose either 32bit or 64bit with a recommendation on the 64 side. Re install Vista and balance out the system memory.
October 25, 2008 3:49:47 PM

By installing Vista Ultimate on top of Home Premium, would the older vista still have nvidia drivers, software installed, if so will it effect my hd4870x2 performance.

I only have 1 HDD i would like to format it and do a fresh install of Vista Ultimate (instead of doing what i have said above and install Ultimate on top of Home Premium), but i cant format the hard drive and then do a fresh install.

I noticed the free space on my hdd is the same as it was before i installed Ultimate, then the only way around it is to format and do a completely fresh install, but as i said above i cant format the drive(with the OS installed) and reinstall Ultimate after formatting that drive can i?
Related resources
October 25, 2008 3:53:38 PM

hi stranger, about 25-30 with very high and a res of 1680x1050, i know crysis is evil when it comes to fps and performance, but also my main concern is even with settlers and bioshock i'm getting the same performance as i was with my 8800gt.

settlers not a high graphic demanding game so i would have thought the fps should be over 80 at least with a hd4870x2 and biostock about 60-65 or more
October 28, 2008 7:37:07 AM

so is there anyway of disabling the builtin limitation if there is any in a game?
!