USB 3.0 RAID 1 External Enclosure Recs?

steeltkb

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Hi - I'm looking for recommendations for a 2 or 4-drive external HDD enclosure with a USB 3.0 interface and an internal RAID 1 controller. Will be used to archive large amounts of RAW photos for my photography business. I'm planning to start off with 2 x 2TB drives.

I know USB 3.0 isn't widely used yet, but I want to go that direction because of cable length advantages over eSATA (plus compatibility with other non-eSATA computers).

If you don't have a specific rec, how about a good company that's known for reliable HDD enclosures?

Thanks!

optojay

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I'm looking for the same thing for my HD video editing. I've got a RAID0 setup with 2x 1TB Black Caviar drives achieving approx. 200MB/s. I also have a Crucial C300 256MB SSD.

So, I was considering either going internal RAID10 for redundancy or an external RAID0 enclosure to back up the internal RAID0 - problem is that most out there use eSATA/USB2.0. I would like find an eSATA/USB3.0 combo so that I have fast transfers on my own computer as well as others (assuming they have these interfaces).

I almost bought WD My Book Studio Edition II External 2TB - but it would be nice to get USB3.0.

Anyone seen any good USB3.0 RAID0 enclosures?

FireWire2

Distinguished

Yes there is! It's four bay USB3.0 and eSATA combo raid/jbod enclosure