Sign in with
Your question

Slower X3 or faster X2

Last response: in CPUs
December 20, 2008 11:15:01 PM

I`m trying to put together a Gaming computer and i was wondering if it would be better to get a faster Dual core such as, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Or is it a better idea to get a slower 3 core such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .
Either way it will be OC'd as much as i can with it being stable. Thanks for any help.

More about : slower faster

December 20, 2008 11:46:28 PM

Why that one when the 6400 and 6000 are faster?
Related resources
December 20, 2008 11:55:54 PM

I think he suggested that cpu as it is phenom based, 2 cores and a black edition. (unlocked multiplier)

The 6400 is probably the fastest AMD cpu for "most games".
December 20, 2008 11:59:04 PM

Will any of these run crysis on medium settings with a 9800GTX+ or should i just spend the money on the 9850? And will the 9850 play games medium to high settings?
December 21, 2008 12:17:15 AM

The AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition has a better performance per clock. It has unlocked multiplier making it easier to overlock. Take a look at these. If you are building a new pc, you shouldn't go with these CPUs really. At least go with a Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 which overclocks really well. If you have more budget, go with a E8500 or Q6600. You should really wait for Phenom II to come out in January though.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon-x2-...

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/processors/A...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-x2-phenom,21...
December 21, 2008 12:22:41 AM

I cant go intel as i`m already running a AMD motheboard with a 4800+. Is the 9850 Any good?
December 21, 2008 12:31:22 AM

Not to be rude but i cant afford to go over to intel, i already said that.
December 21, 2008 12:37:48 AM

thanks
December 21, 2008 12:45:42 AM

I moved up to a x3 8750 from a x2 5000+ BE. I noticed a big improvement at stock clocks.
I mostly play Supreme Commander, World in Conflict, Red Alert 3, Age of Conan, and Eve Online just for reference.
December 21, 2008 1:13:56 AM

I would stay away from the x3's...personally I'm an intel guy, but the triple cores are quads with a defective core...would you really want that?
December 21, 2008 4:24:28 AM

And E7200's are E8400's that aren't up to snuff, would you really want that? All CPU's are generally based off one or two things with parts cut off, disabled, or running slower.

Not trying to start a fight or anything, but judge a CPU by what it is and how it performs, nothing else.
December 21, 2008 4:47:00 AM

jeteryankees22 said:
I would stay away from the x3's...personally I'm an intel guy, but the triple cores are quads with a defective core...would you really want that?

That is a completely ridiculous argument. There is no such thing as a perfect die, all contain some sort of defects that's why memory, processors, and graphics chips are binned. Most graphics cards come with some stream processors disabled in order to increase yields in case some are defective. Processors with defective cache have some of the cache disabled. In the end it doesn't really matter, what matters is the performance that you get. Period.

If you want to argue then argue price/performance and quit spreading FUD.
December 21, 2008 4:53:27 AM

jeteryankees22 said:

And early Conroes had to have half of their cache disabled, who cares that they were the best deal when they had defective parts? Oh and about half the GPUs on the market have cores and other components disabled. Sure the GTX260 216 has a great price / performance ratio but it's a defective GTX280, who would want that amirite?
December 21, 2008 4:54:42 AM

Joe18 said:
Will any of these run crysis on medium settings with a 9800GTX+ or should i just spend the money on the 9850? And will the 9850 play games medium to high settings?

Dual or tri core will be fine for all current games, however some games such as UT3 will benefit from more cores.

From what i understand the X3s and the newer Kuma (phenom with 2 cores disabled) X2s have higher performance per clock and overclock better than the older Windsor and Brisbane X2s (someone correct me if I'm wrong I don't overclock my AMD systems). So the only X2 I would consider is the Kuma one I linked to earlier.
December 21, 2008 5:43:25 AM

The X2 7750 BE is a good buy at $78. Look into that OP.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2008 6:52:39 AM

jeteryankees22 said:

Why not? The defective core is disabled...
December 21, 2008 7:56:17 AM

woo intel fanboys unite!

seriously guys, lay off the blue crack. he said he wants AMD and is obviously restricted to that by his motherboard. we all know intel is better clock per clock but he's doing it to save money. lay off the topic or answer his question -_-
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2008 9:15:52 AM

^+1 for dieseldre2k

Anyway the 5400 X2 BE is a good value since it's cheap and has an unlocked multiplier. They generally overclock pretty well. The next step up is the 7750 which many reviewers manage to get to around 3.2GHz with the stock cooler. At that speed it will generally be faster than an overclocked Brisbane or Windsor based CPU. The X3s only show benefits over the X2s in a few applications that take advantage of more than two threads, such as video encoding. For the most part though current games benefit little, if at all, from having more than two cores. This is of course changing but it will take some time. The only X3 I would recommend getting would be the 8750BE since it has an unlocked multiplier to easily overclock it. Really though I say wait two weeks for the Phenom IIs. At the very least quad core prices will fall allowing you to get an X4 for the current price of an X3.
December 21, 2008 9:32:42 AM

so we are being fanbois for telling him not to be so stuck on AMD? sounds a bit contradictory to me. whatever gives the most performance for the $ wins, and in this case, the e5200 =]
December 21, 2008 10:18:23 AM

AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition or AMD Phenom X4 9850/9950 would be your best buy like I said earlier if you are really stuck with AMD. But can't you wait for phenom II in January to see how that one performs?
December 21, 2008 10:29:58 AM

The future of pc gaming is slowly moving toward multiple core. Maybe you should consider buying a cpu with more cores.
December 21, 2008 1:19:52 PM

I'll just wait for phenomII to come out, and if they are better i'll get one of those. If not then atleast the current X4 will go down in price. Thanks Pico_W

Oh and V3NOM, its not contradictory, you are being fanboys and very annoying, I clearly stated i already have a motherboard that has an AM2 socket, and I cannot afford to buy a new motherboard.
December 21, 2008 5:50:13 PM

V3NOM said:
so we are being fanbois for telling him not to be so stuck on AMD? sounds a bit contradictory to me. whatever gives the most performance for the $ wins, and in this case, the e5200 =]

Hes said multiple times he has an AMD board. If you can figure out how to put a Intel chip in a AM2 socket then let me know.
December 22, 2008 12:49:19 AM

Post deleted by user B-Unit
December 22, 2008 2:16:09 AM

IS the 9850BE a good option? If so i`ll probably just go with that.
December 22, 2008 2:38:16 AM

Yes, but the Phenom II 940 will be out in a few weeks too, so you might want to wait for some benchmarks and even if you don't want the Phenom II it will probably cause the 9850BE to go down in price.
December 23, 2008 12:38:55 AM

good point. thx
December 23, 2008 8:02:43 AM

ehehehe funny thread.
Joe18, if you intend to play GTA IV you need 3 cores minimum. Otherwise grab a 7750 and sit on that until the first round of reviews are out for Phenom 2. The 7750 is pretty cheap and you can just eBay it if you decide to go Phenom 2.
Start price for the Phenom 2 will most likely be a couple hundred £££, so unless you had that sorta money in mind stick with the 7750 and o/c the little devil.
December 24, 2008 5:18:12 PM

pr2thej said:
ehehehe funny thread.
Joe18, if you intend to play GTA IV you need 3 cores minimum. Otherwise grab a 7750 and sit on that until the first round of reviews are out for Phenom 2. The 7750 is pretty cheap and you can just eBay it if you decide to go Phenom 2.
Start price for the Phenom 2 will most likely be a couple hundred £££, so unless you had that sorta money in mind stick with the 7750 and o/c the little devil.

I can play GTA 4 on an ancient FX55 processor single core on a 939 socket processor with a 8800gs on low settings. The 7750 should be considerable faster and more playable. It may not be worth the extra cost going from a 7750 to a Phenom 2.
December 24, 2008 9:13:30 PM

84supreme said:
I moved up to a x3 8750 from a x2 5000+ BE. I noticed a big improvement at stock clocks.
I mostly play Supreme Commander, World in Conflict, Red Alert 3, Age of Conan, and Eve Online just for reference.

That was my experience too. I went from an AthlonX2 4600+ (2.4 gigahertz) on a 690V motherboard to an 8750 on a 780G motherboard. Big improvement, especially where the extra core's used.

And it's not even overclocked. The Black Edition came out two weeks after I upgraded last September.

I've played Oblivion, The Witcher and LOTRO. When I get my 3870x2 back reconditioned/repaired then I'll give Mass Effect a try. Right now, I can "only" play LOTRO with the onboard HD3200, but the IGP runs that fine at medium/high settings.

Joe18 said:
I cant go intel as i`m already running a AMD motheboard with a 4800+. Is the 9850 Any good?

It's 125 watts. I recommend looking up your motherboard's current CPU support. It might not accept a 125 watt processor.

If your motherboard can support a 125 watt CPU, then please consider waiting till December 27. The two new Phenom II's are arriving with DDR2 support. I doubt you'd want to go the 3.0 black edition and overclock, but a bios upgrade should allow a board supporting the 9850 to support Phenom II Deneb core 2.8.

Recent online prices for the two Phenom II's just out today:

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/20081224/tc_pcworld/...
December 24, 2008 9:35:14 PM

veyron1001 said:
I can play GTA 4 on an ancient FX55 processor single core on a 939 socket processor with a 8800gs on low settings. The 7750 should be considerable faster and more playable. It may not be worth the extra cost going from a 7750 to a Phenom 2.

Yes, but who would want too? On any system? It's a not very great console port. :kaola: 

If they'd only make a mundane RPG where you ride around a city listening to music doing something socially useful, it might actually do well and not get the criticisms that GTA 4 is getting for the content. Maybe I'm in the minority, but it comes of having been robbed once at gunpoint by a guy dressed urban. Just reinforced my idea that game violence is best when it's not simulating real life thuggery. I haven't been robbed by aliens lately. :p 

You know, if they ever did a Gangs of New York gangster game set in the 1850's, it might be interesting and actually teach a bit of history as well. Or how about a Beggar King of London 18th century gangster game with realistic dialogue? I doubt the real world criminals would go for "showeth me the lace Maude, or tis sure that you'll not be seein' any guineas' today". Stolen lace was a big criminal activity back then.

Sorry, off topic but I couldn't resist. It's been my major kvetch since the latest GTA game came out. Still, a C+ to Rockstar for supporting more cores, but a D- for lack of creativity in a stale genre where they reign as the best of the worst.
!