Strange Mobo Problems - Asus Crosshair

G

Asus Crosshair
4 x 2gig corsair ram
EVGA 8800GT - plugged in an old EVGA 7800gt too
two 500g HDs

So, yesterday I installed a new DVD player in my computer. When I went to reboot it, it would not boot up at all. All it gave me was a single post beep and then would stall. The monitor was receiving no signal and was stuck in standby mode. I opened up the computer and saw that the A1 ram slot memory had partially come out. When I checked further, so had the A2 mem stick. Maybe I knocked them out or something during the install... I pushed them back in and restarted. The same thing happened. No monitor singal and no boot up at all.

Since then I have changed out much of my hardware and gotten no changes. I took out all the memory and just put one back in the A1 slot. I changed Graphics cards, unpluged all drives including the DVD player. Even the HDs were diconnected and my bootup seemed to go the same. I cant even get to the Bios. I also cleared the cmos.

Now, all of a sudden, I am getting an additional beep code error. Its one long beep followed by three short beeps. From what I can tell, that is a graphics error. However, I have switched in two different cards with the same results. It seems unlikely both cards are fubared.

What happens to one's mobo when you boot it up and one or more ram sticks are only partially in place? Did I fry my Mobo or worse? Thank you for any help.

festerovic

Distinguished
When you say the other stuff is disconnected, are you disconnecting the power to each device also?

Try the least possible config you can pull off, just to get to bios - video card (check power) memory (1 stick) and double check the power connectors to the mobo (4pin and 20/24 pin). Disconnect all other power cables to things, even the PITA floppy connector that is hard to get plugged in sometimes ;)

Also, whats up with your power supply?