ATI FireGL V7500 vs.Mobility Radeon 3650

McQuaade

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Hi there.

I'm looking at the HP Elitebook 8530p or HP Elitebook 8530W
this is a laptop supplied by my company, so I don't need advice on other models that are better.

which of the two models is best fore gaming?

the P model has a ATI Radion HD 3650 with 256mb of ram
the W model has a ATI FireGL 5700 with 512mb of ram

I think the:
P model has a Intel Core2 Duo 2,4GHZ and a 250 GB (5400 rpm) Smart SATA HDD
W model has a Intel Core2 Duo 2,53GHZ and a 250 GB (7200 rpm) Smart SATA HDD

Hope some of you can explain to me which machine is best fore gaming

McQuaade

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Thanks fore your reply, Don't think I called any of them a gaming system, but unfortunately it's the one our company will let us choose from

I see that the W model alsom comes with a NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M will that still be better?

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
go with whatever has the most ram and the fastest hard drive. Especially the harddrive as it causes the the biggest slowdowns in everyday tasks. Trust me as i have learned my lesson and will never get a 5400 rpm drive again.

good luck!

McQuaade

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Sorry I didn't reply all, somthing happend, here is all af my reply

jitpublisher: thanks fore the link, think I will go fore the W model
strangestranger: Work is not that important :D , no any of the models is fine fore work, but it would be nice to be able to game a litle when im not home
customisbetter: Ok that will help me choose, it really sounds like the P model

I just got a little confused because isn't Radion normaly a gaming cart and FireGL and Quadro is more fore CAD and other graphics programs? Last time I bought a graphic card there was only Gforce and Radion, that was a little easyer back then

Anyway Thanks you guys fore the help, and any new input is still welcome

Depends on which one you have, my recently purchased 5400RPM WD 320GB Scorpio Blue (from NCIX while in Vancouver to replace a similar Seagate) is faster than many of those 250GB & 160GB 7200 RPM drives because the density of the platters is much higher, so you get the same performance, with less power draw, less heat and less vibration.

But in this case the 250GB would be slower because the densities are the same.

Yes that's the case but both will work with their gaming drivers as well, but depending on the game it may be fine with the workstation drivers too.

All 3 options are essentially the same with some games each will do better.

The thing is to double check the speed of the options, HP tend to declock their workstation business laptops, but you can manually boost them yourself (although that does kill batter, increase heat, as well as risk higher failure rates, especially on the nV chips which are already an issue).