Sign in with
Your question

Need help badly computer won't boot after overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2010 5:46:51 AM

i got my e5200 yesterday and i tried to overclock used the asrock oc tool so i didn't have to use bios and i only got it to 3.3ghz so i tried to go into the bios couldn't change my settings manually for some reason i tried using the asrock "easy oc tool" so i used it and set it to 3.5ghz. So i turned it off and now my computer turns on for 5 seconds all the fans go on and the LEDs then it turns itself off and turns itself back on and keeps repeating this forever. There is no video output so i it's not posting i don't believe. So i had a grounding problem when i first built it whenever i would plug in the 12v 8 pin it wouldn't power up but i fixed that but now whenever i don't have the 12v plugged in it doesn't shut down but then i can't use the computer

edit: I have also tried to reset the cmos with the jumper and with taking out the battery i am almost positive i did it correctly
My specs are
Asrock p43de3
E5200 wolfdale
Rosewill green series 530w power supply
160gb 7200 rpm hdd
hp dvd writer
Rosewill aftermarket cooler
gskill ripjaw 4g
Zotac gts 250
Antec three hundred illusion case
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 11:32:08 AM

Check your motherboard manual to see how to restore your BIOS back to factory defaults just to make sure your system is working.

Then learn to use the BIOS.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 1:55:22 PM

Find the clear CMOS jumper and short it with a jumper pin turn the system on and off again and unjump the jumper - that should reset the CMOS to defaults so you can go into the Bios and readjust things - from the sound of it the 3.5ghz. OC is just more than your chip can handle.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2010 4:18:54 PM

I tried reseting the cmos with the jumpers and i left the battery out overnight
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 5:35:57 PM

PinkF Zeppelin said:
I tried reseting the cmos with the jumpers and i left the battery out overnight

Don't know if this would help at all in this case but I have noted that on some of my boards it also at times seems to take the removal of the power cord from the back of the PSU before the unit smartens up and boots.
m
l
January 9, 2010 5:52:46 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
Don't know if this would help at all in this case but I have noted that on some of my boards it also at times seems to take the removal of the power cord from the back of the PSU before the unit smartens up and boots.

Yea i tried that unplugging the power cord waiting 15 seconds putting the jumpers on pins 2 and 3 let it sit for over an hour press the power buttons left the battieries out everything
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 6:21:15 PM

You could be grounding out on something. I would take everything out of the case (if all else fails) and re-build it on a large piece of cardboard or something. I would short the jumpers with nothing connected to the board with the battery out and leave it out until your done building. Only install what you need to boot and go from there.

Before that you can try something like that in the case... Unplug all unnecessary peripherals, take ram out and re-install, video card etc.
m
l
January 9, 2010 6:46:15 PM

sportsfanboy said:
You could be grounding out on something. I would take everything out of the case (if all else fails) and re-build it on a large piece of cardboard or something. I would short the jumpers with nothing connected to the board with the battery out and leave it out until your done building. Only install what you need to boot and go from there.

Before that you can try something like that in the case... Unplug all unnecessary peripherals, take ram out and re-install, video card etc.

k ill try this and report back on how it does i just don't understand why it would be doing this after an overclock
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 7:05:44 PM

sportsfanboy said:

Cardboar is not really good to use as it can carry static charges which are not good for the MOBO - be sure to use the anti static bag that the MOBO came in between the cardboard and the MOBO if doing this !!
m
l
January 9, 2010 7:13:17 PM

JDFan said:
Cardboar is not really good to use as it can carry static charges which are not good for the MOBO - be sure to use the anti static bag that the MOBO came in between the cardboard and the MOBO if doing this !!

yes i know and i tried doing it and it didn't work
m
l
January 9, 2010 7:17:52 PM

sportsfanboy said:

i tried bolth methods neither worked idk how it could be grounding when it turns on for a second could it be possible i toasted my cpu? i took it out of its socket and it looked as if it was new this build is only 2 days old
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 7:39:48 PM

Maybe got to start thinking of a bad psu perhaps.

The reason I say it could be a bad ground is because it happened to me. The same symptoms, and when I took it out of the case it worked.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 7:41:31 PM

I'm not so sure cardboard carries static charges... It is a wood product after all. Is it as good as anti static?, of coarse not, but...
m
l
January 9, 2010 7:51:48 PM

sportsfanboy said:
I'm not so sure cardboard carries static charges... It is a wood product after all. Is it as good as anti static?, of coarse not, but...

so should i try running it on a cardboard box?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 7:52:18 PM

You might just double check and make very sure you put the CMOS jumpers back in the proper position when you cleared it.
m
l
January 9, 2010 7:54:26 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
You might just double check and make very sure you put the CMOS jumpers back in the proper position when you cleared it.

yea i even tried it off off
m
l
January 9, 2010 8:51:28 PM

ok well i tried it out of the case on a static bag im starting to wonder if i fried my cpu
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 8:54:07 PM

Well in all honesty any time you attempt to OC you run the risk of permanent damage to components and even more so if you don't know what you are doing.

From what you've posted it doesn't sound as if the CPU was fried but that doesn't mean that some other component didn't get pushed beyond it's limits.
m
l
January 9, 2010 8:58:19 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
Well in all honesty any time you attempt to OC you run the risk of permanent damage to components and even more so if you don't know what you are doing.

From what you've posted it doesn't sound as if the CPU was fried but that doesn't mean that some other component didn't get pushed beyond it's limits.

do you have any ideas because when it boots for 5 seconds the monitor shows no signal do you have any ideas as what could of failed so i can do a process of elimination
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 9:13:24 PM

Well I find eliminating items is easiest when I have a lot of spare parts kicking around that I can use as temporary replacements but not many are that fortunate.

You could perhaps try taking out the memory and reseat it in case you bumped it when you cleared your CMOS or something.

Alternately one can try booting with one stick of memory then swap for the other which will at times reveal one as good and one as bad.

Try another PSU if you have one.

Try another graphics card or reseat the one you have.

Double check all electrical connections and make sure the plugs are all firmly seated in the motherboard and locked into place.

Sometimes it's a good idea to browse through any product forums (Asrock in your case) if they are available because often times someone else may have already experienced your symptoms and posted about it.

I don't think I've ever had an issue yet in over ten years of tinkering with PC's where I didn't run across someone else's post dealing with the same thing and often times sharing a solution.

In the end if nothing works then sometimes there's simply no alternative but to consider RMA'ing the item and getting another motherboard or CPU though I doubt it's the CPU myself.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 9, 2010 9:26:35 PM

what did you change in BIOS exactly?

did you overvolt?

if you didn't touch the voltages, its very unlikely you did some permanent damage. if you did, then you may well have fried something. simply setting the bios to 3.5ghz CPU speed is a very stupid thing to do. you need to be careful when overclocking, and it possible youve managed to damage something in your carelessness.
m
l
January 9, 2010 9:42:37 PM

Ok so i got it booted and got into bios but only with my hard drive unplugged tried plugging it in computer does the same thing unplugged it it works again then tried plugging in a case fan computer doesn't work again so is my psu bad?
m
l
January 10, 2010 6:07:08 AM

PinkF Zeppelin said:
Ok so i got it booted and got into bios but only with my hard drive unplugged tried plugging it in computer does the same thing unplugged it it works again then tried plugging in a case fan computer doesn't work again so is my psu bad?

Well, it IS a rosewill....
m
l
January 10, 2010 5:07:18 PM

welshmousepk said:
what did you change in BIOS exactly?

did you overvolt?

if you didn't touch the voltages, its very unlikely you did some permanent damage. if you did, then you may well have fried something. simply setting the bios to 3.5ghz CPU speed is a very stupid thing to do. you need to be careful when overclocking, and it possible youve managed to damage something in your carelessness.

I don't believe so because asrock has an "easy oc tool" in the bios so i wanted to try it and thats when it started doing this. When before i had it running at 3.3ghz at 1.32 volts i should have just left it there. But i got it to boot into bios with a certain amount of things plugged in. But then i tried plugging in my hdd again and it started having it's issues again and now i can't get it to go into bios at all i think my motherboard is turning itself off idk this is my first build so i haven't had the chance to fix other problems
m
l
January 10, 2010 5:12:46 PM

LoneWolf_53 said:
Well I find eliminating items is easiest when I have a lot of spare parts kicking around that I can use as temporary replacements but not many are that fortunate.

You could perhaps try taking out the memory and reseat it in case you bumped it when you cleared your CMOS or something.

Alternately one can try booting with one stick of memory then swap for the other which will at times reveal one as good and one as bad.

Try another PSU if you have one.

Try another graphics card or reseat the one you have.

Double check all electrical connections and make sure the plugs are all firmly seated in the motherboard and locked into place.

Sometimes it's a good idea to browse through any product forums (Asrock in your case) if they are available because often times someone else may have already experienced your symptoms and posted about it.

I don't think I've ever had an issue yet in over ten years of tinkering with PC's where I didn't run across someone else's post dealing with the same thing and often times sharing a solution.

In the end if nothing works then sometimes there's simply no alternative but to consider RMA'ing the item and getting another motherboard or CPU though I doubt it's the CPU myself.

I've tried all of the above beside the asrock forums but im starting to think it's either the mother board or the psu possibly the motherboard turning itself off or maybe even a bad powerswitch im not sure because i got it to boot into bios with half the 12v power connectors unplugged and no peripherals and no hdd or cd but i tried plugging it back into my case fans and it worked unplugged it tried to plug it into my hdd now it won't work at all no matter what i do this computer was working fine for a day also with win7
m
l
January 10, 2010 5:13:28 PM

croc said:
Well, it IS a rosewill....

you have got a point
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2010 6:27:47 PM

Short of being able to test the PSU in another computer my guess of the two would be the motherboard as I've noted similar symptoms on a failed one but without being able to test the PSU to eliminate it there's no way of telling for certain.
m
l
January 10, 2010 6:46:59 PM

PinkF Zeppelin said:
you have got a point

Rosewill have, in the past, been known to 'spec' their PSU's to be able to supply more amps than they really are capable of. In your case it would seem that, for whatever reason, the 12vdc rail is not supplying enough power as evidenced by being able to do a full boot without your HDD plugged in. It would seem (by Rosewill's specs) that this PSU should be able to handle the load. It either does not, or your HDD is pulling a huge amount of amps...
m
l
January 10, 2010 11:13:37 PM

ok well i got it to boot played some games for a while installed a new OS and then i went into the bios and guess what IT HAPPENED AGAIN and no matter how i do the jumpers it won't work again just like before
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 11, 2010 1:06:28 AM

Bad Mobo battery? Bad psu, hmm
m
l
!