Need help badly computer won't boot after overclock

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
i got my e5200 yesterday and i tried to overclock used the asrock oc tool so i didn't have to use bios and i only got it to 3.3ghz so i tried to go into the bios couldn't change my settings manually for some reason i tried using the asrock "easy oc tool" so i used it and set it to 3.5ghz. So i turned it off and now my computer turns on for 5 seconds all the fans go on and the LEDs then it turns itself off and turns itself back on and keeps repeating this forever. There is no video output so i it's not posting i don't believe. So i had a grounding problem when i first built it whenever i would plug in the 12v 8 pin it wouldn't power up but i fixed that but now whenever i don't have the 12v plugged in it doesn't shut down but then i can't use the computer

edit: I have also tried to reset the cmos with the jumper and with taking out the battery i am almost positive i did it correctly
My specs are
Asrock p43de3
E5200 wolfdale
Rosewill green series 530w power supply
160gb 7200 rpm hdd
hp dvd writer
Rosewill aftermarket cooler
gskill ripjaw 4g
Zotac gts 250
Antec three hundred illusion case

Find the clear CMOS jumper and short it with a jumper pin turn the system on and off again and unjump the jumper - that should reset the CMOS to defaults so you can go into the Bios and readjust things - from the sound of it the 3.5ghz. OC is just more than your chip can handle.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Don't know if this would help at all in this case but I have noted that on some of my boards it also at times seems to take the removal of the power cord from the back of the PSU before the unit smartens up and boots.

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Yea i tried that unplugging the power cord waiting 15 seconds putting the jumpers on pins 2 and 3 let it sit for over an hour press the power buttons left the battieries out everything

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
You could be grounding out on something. I would take everything out of the case (if all else fails) and re-build it on a large piece of cardboard or something. I would short the jumpers with nothing connected to the board with the battery out and leave it out until your done building. Only install what you need to boot and go from there.

Before that you can try something like that in the case... Unplug all unnecessary peripherals, take ram out and re-install, video card etc.

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

k ill try this and report back on how it does i just don't understand why it would be doing this after an overclock

Cardboar is not really good to use as it can carry static charges which are not good for the MOBO - be sure to use the anti static bag that the MOBO came in between the cardboard and the MOBO if doing this !!

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

yes i know and i tried doing it and it didn't work

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

i tried bolth methods neither worked idk how it could be grounding when it turns on for a second could it be possible i toasted my cpu? i took it out of its socket and it looked as if it was new this build is only 2 days old

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

so should i try running it on a cardboard box?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well in all honesty any time you attempt to OC you run the risk of permanent damage to components and even more so if you don't know what you are doing.

From what you've posted it doesn't sound as if the CPU was fried but that doesn't mean that some other component didn't get pushed beyond it's limits.

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

do you have any ideas because when it boots for 5 seconds the monitor shows no signal do you have any ideas as what could of failed so i can do a process of elimination

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well I find eliminating items is easiest when I have a lot of spare parts kicking around that I can use as temporary replacements but not many are that fortunate.

You could perhaps try taking out the memory and reseat it in case you bumped it when you cleared your CMOS or something.

Alternately one can try booting with one stick of memory then swap for the other which will at times reveal one as good and one as bad.

Try another PSU if you have one.

Try another graphics card or reseat the one you have.

Double check all electrical connections and make sure the plugs are all firmly seated in the motherboard and locked into place.

Sometimes it's a good idea to browse through any product forums (Asrock in your case) if they are available because often times someone else may have already experienced your symptoms and posted about it.

I don't think I've ever had an issue yet in over ten years of tinkering with PC's where I didn't run across someone else's post dealing with the same thing and often times sharing a solution.

In the end if nothing works then sometimes there's simply no alternative but to consider RMA'ing the item and getting another motherboard or CPU though I doubt it's the CPU myself.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
what did you change in BIOS exactly?

did you overvolt?

if you didn't touch the voltages, its very unlikely you did some permanent damage. if you did, then you may well have fried something. simply setting the bios to 3.5ghz CPU speed is a very stupid thing to do. you need to be careful when overclocking, and it possible youve managed to damage something in your carelessness.

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Ok so i got it booted and got into bios but only with my hard drive unplugged tried plugging it in computer does the same thing unplugged it it works again then tried plugging in a case fan computer doesn't work again so is my psu bad?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Well, it IS a rosewill....

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

I don't believe so because asrock has an "easy oc tool" in the bios so i wanted to try it and thats when it started doing this. When before i had it running at 3.3ghz at 1.32 volts i should have just left it there. But i got it to boot into bios with a certain amount of things plugged in. But then i tried plugging in my hdd again and it started having it's issues again and now i can't get it to go into bios at all i think my motherboard is turning itself off idk this is my first build so i haven't had the chance to fix other problems

PinkF Zeppelin

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

I've tried all of the above beside the asrock forums but im starting to think it's either the mother board or the psu possibly the motherboard turning itself off or maybe even a bad powerswitch im not sure because i got it to boot into bios with half the 12v power connectors unplugged and no peripherals and no hdd or cd but i tried plugging it back into my case fans and it worked unplugged it tried to plug it into my hdd now it won't work at all no matter what i do this computer was working fine for a day also with win7